MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Google Chrome

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Google Chrome

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:42 pm

New Google browser launched today.

Test-driving it now. Out-of-the-box layout and settings leave something to be desired (home button, homepage, bookmarks menu, password saving, that kind of stuff), but it's coming along. Graphics refresh rate is sketchy.

Anyone else have any experiences worth sharing so far?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:15 pm

1) How does it behave with javascript turned off?
2) How does it behave with tabs disabled?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Google Chrome

Postby mcs_madison » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:18 am

TheBookPolice wrote:New Google browser launched today.

Test-driving it now. Out-of-the-box layout and settings leave something to be desired (home button, homepage, bookmarks menu, password saving, that kind of stuff), but it's coming along. Graphics refresh rate is sketchy.

I'm a bit leery...A freind checked it out and says it sends all visited URLs along with your IP# to google.
mcs_madison
Forum Addict

Re: Google Chrome

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:42 am

mcs_madison wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:New Google browser launched today.

I'm a bit leery...A freind checked it out and says it sends all visited URLs along with your IP# to google.

Well, that's a setting you can dictate during installation. Any distrust of the honesty of that setting is fearmongering, unless there's evidence that Google is lying blatantly and directly to consumers.

After a little more use, I'll say this much. It's very bare-bones. There isn't nearly as much visible ability to modify or alter settings as there is in Firefox. This means it runs much faster on my system than, say, Safari--but doesn't offer as much customizability.

I'm not sure why you'd want to disable tabs, but I didn't see a clear way to do that with Chrome. I haven't dug deep enough to turn off Java, but it's telling that I know how to do it easily in Firefox, but can't find the option in Chrome.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:51 am

It looks like Google Installer runs in the background and phones home EVERY HOUR, even when Chrome isn't running.

Here's how to kill the phoneHome for Windows, at least (working on the Mac equivalent):

Start -> Run, then enter "msconfig"

In the tab "Systemstart" deactivate "Google Updte"

and (that's not all):

Systemcontrol or control panel -> Scheduled Tasks :
remove GoogleUpdateTaskUser

The language may vary a bit depending on your Windows machine, natch.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:54 am

christopher_robin wrote:Here's how to kill the phoneHome for Windows, at least (working on the Mac equivalent)

At the risk of stating the incredibly obvious, does this mean you have an advance copy of Chrome for Mac? How's it looking?
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:43 pm

mrak wrote:
christopher_robin wrote:Here's how to kill the phoneHome for Windows, at least (working on the Mac equivalent)

At the risk of stating the incredibly obvious, does this mean you have an advance copy of Chrome for Mac? How's it looking?

It's pretty damned close, <mrak>.

I'll let y'all know when I figure it out. This is a great browser--maybe it will be the best ever upon the 1.0 release--but the spyware component is not acceptable to me. So Job 1 is to disable that function.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:51 pm

I wasn't satisfied with the last release of Firefox, which seems to go slow and lag on pages, so I went back to Safari after not using it for 3 years. Safari doesn't exactly do it for me either.

If Google can deliver a fast and well performing browser, I may use it for most web surfing. I stil dog out firefox for some of the aggressive functionality they've built in, notably FTP, Bit Torrent, and ripping youtbe videos.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:46 pm

Shipley wrote:I wasn't satisfied with the last release of Firefox, which seems to go slow and lag on pages, so I went back to Safari after not using it for 3 years. Safari doesn't exactly do it for me either.

If Google can deliver a fast and well performing browser, I may use it for most web surfing. I stil dog out firefox for some of the aggressive functionality they've built in, notably FTP, Bit Torrent, and ripping youtbe videos.

Firefox 2.X seems to be more stable than 3, but every couple hours I have to force quit because the graphics won't load or everything stops working.

Safari is equally as crappy.

Opera is slow.

Hopefully, Chrome is better.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby forwardourmotto » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:20 pm

Using Google Chrome at the moment I think I like it.

It does strange things in text entry boxes sometimes, but it might be faster than Mozilla...that is my main criteria. Fast=good. I'll see I guess.
forwardourmotto
Forum Addict

Postby dead ed » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:16 pm

so i have a question for all you browser evaluators. how to you measure the speed of a browser? how do you tell where server speed leaves off and browser speed takes over? when you 'measure' speed of the browser are you doing it with cached images or the cache cleared? do you test pages with lots of javascript or hardly any - or javascript turned off? do you compare pages that use lots of css, or how 'bout speed of table rendering? pages with java or flash. does the speed of firefox on a mac have anything to do with the speed of firefox on a pc?

basically every browser out there claims to be faster than the others. but what's being tested?

i'm curious if there are objective measurable ways of doing this, or if it is just perception?

thanks,
dead ed
dead ed

Return to Technology & Video Games