MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 43.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Another Very Funny Joke

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Another Very Funny Joke

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:47 pm

I was just responding to the post on fisticuff's link.

Ya lost me. I was just pointing out that while one Isthmus staffer thinks these types of posts are to be ignored another thinks they are good enough be promoted in the weekly forum highlights.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:44 am

It's possible that pjbogart was lumping Iran in with predominantly Arab nations, but it seemed to me he was setting Iran off from the "Arab world". pj's a pretty smart cookie, but everyone makes mistakes now and then. And some Iranians are Arabs, about a millionor so.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:06 pm

Thank you for the kind words but my only statements concerning the Iranian election debacle are located in the thread that wasn't started by the troll. I'm not sure if Cortez is Alternative Voice, but it's largely irrelevant. His posts oscillate between bombastic gibberish to grammatically correct tin-eared talking points. He doesn't really have a point and he isn't looking for a conversation, he just wants a reaction and he's got four pages so far.

Have you ever had "super hot" wings from Pizza Extreme? I don't know what it is about that sauce, but I could eat about four pounds of those things.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jazznews » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:05 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:It's possible that pjbogart was lumping Iran in with predominantly Arab nations, but it seemed to me he was setting Iran off from the "Arab world". pj's a pretty smart cookie, but everyone makes mistakes now and then. And some Iranians are Arabs, about a millionor so.

And some Americans are hispanic.... :lol: Sorry...it's hot and humid, and this thread is called a "Very Funny Joke."

pjbogart wrote:Have you ever had "super hot" wings from Pizza Extreme? I don't know what it is about that sauce, but I could eat about four pounds of those things

No, and as to their pizza, I prefer Supreme to Extreme.

You're not related to Humphrey are you? They showed his movie Key Largo on WPT last night. It's the first time I've seen the beginning. I didn't realize that Lionel Barrymore was in it.
Jazznews
Forum Addict

Postby pjbogart » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:13 pm

Jazznews wrote:You're not related to Humphrey are you? They showed his movie Key Largo on WPT last night. It's the first time I've seen the beginning. I didn't realize that Lionel Barrymore was in it.

No, I got this moniker circa 1990 due mostly to a Humphrey Bogart poster in a practice studio. Mostly...

Everyone loves "Casablanca," but I always thought he was coolest in "The Maltese Falcon."
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jazznews » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:28 pm

pjbogart wrote:
Jazznews wrote:You're not related to Humphrey are you? They showed his movie Key Largo on WPT last night. It's the first time I've seen the beginning. I didn't realize that Lionel Barrymore was in it.

No, I got this moniker circa 1990 due mostly to a Humphrey Bogart poster in a practice studio. Mostly...

Everyone loves "Casablanca," but I always thought he was coolest in "The Maltese Falcon."

That's a great movie. I also like To Have and Have Not. It's kind of similar to Casablanca, having to do with Nazis and WWII, but I love the Hoagy Carmichael music and Lauren Bacall is great. That was her first movie.
Jazznews
Forum Addict

Postby Cortez » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:28 am

GODDOG wrote:umm...you are dumb. He is the leader of the free world moron. His sphere of influence goes beyond anything you will influence in 10,000 lives.

His? Or Jesus's? This is social theology. "Ten thousand lives?" You might as well be talking about one of the ancient Sumerian kings. You're putting your fucked up ideology where your fucked up sense of religion ought to be. Fanboy. That's pretty much my point. Social theology. Leader worship. "Oba-mania". Same. Keyword: "mania".
Cortez
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jazznews » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:35 am

Cortez wrote:
GODDOG wrote:umm...you are dumb. He is the leader of the free world moron. His sphere of influence goes beyond anything you will influence in 10,000 lives.

His? Or Jesus's? This is social theology. "Ten thousand lives?" You might as well be talking about one of the ancient Sumerian kings. You're putting your fucked up ideology where your fucked up sense of religion ought to be. Fanboy. That's pretty much my point.

:? Try millions. He's got a hard job ahead of him, trying to reverse the damage done by 8 years of Bush. If only to demonstrate the proper use of English.
Jazznews
Forum Addict

Postby Cortez » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:16 am

Jazznews wrote: :? Try millions. He's got a hard job ahead of him, trying to reverse the damage done by 8 years of Bush. If only to demonstrate the proper use of English.

And on a scale of 1 to 10 what would you say is the likelihood he'll actually do that job? I don't really think that's his focus. Mostly what I read is that its all "inherited". "Inherited" means we don't hold him accountable. He could fix things or he might not but we're still going to blame someone else either way. If anything improves its all his credit and if anything gets worse today, next month or next year or the next three years, he gets a pass. I would like things to really get better and I don't give a damn who gets the credit. Unfortunately "who gets the credit or discredit for what" is already the focus.

I don't think he's really going to devote himself to the people the way he asks them to devote themselves for him. I'll be glad to be wrong about that, very glad. It's just not in character with what I've observed. When he was in the senate his colleagues were asked, "what's this fellow's main trait?" The answer? Ambition. They know him, we don't, that's what they said. Ambition builds power structures, ambition says what it has to to get what it wants. Altruism is not what you'd call a calling card of highly ambitious people. If the economic issues of the 2008 election are going to get worse (and they probably will), are those on the left going to hold him accountable or put the good of the nation on the back burner in favor of their ideological priorities?
Cortez
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:24 am

And on a scale of 1 to 10 what would you say is the likelihood he'll actually do that job?

I'd give the Republicans a 1 if they were in charge. There ideas have been played out to their end game and we're living it everyday. You're absolutely allowed to think the course of action he's taking is wrong but the jury won't be back on that one for a few years now will it.
Mostly what I read is that its all "inherited". "Inherited" means we don't hold him accountable.

How can you expect him to be accountable for Bush's failures? Bush won't even take that accountability. We'll hold Obama accountable for his failures when there are some to be held accountable for. Again the jury is still out.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GODDOG » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:58 am

Cortez wrote:I don't think he's really going to devote himself to the people the way he asks them to devote themselves for him.

When has he ever said it was about him? exact quotes please, in context. I like the word choice. devote. You try and put meaning behind my words a few posts ago, 10,000 lives. I just picked a number no nuts. Your hang up on messianic language is your own demons speaking there bud. He has proven himself time and time again in his dedication to the common good. Remember this "Corty", he could have been a high-priced lawyer billing millions of $. What did he do? Became a community organizer. You righty fuck-jobs have tried and tried to make that a pejorative, and again failed. He has been a public servant, under public scrutiny, good or bad, for most of his adult life. What have you done to better the lives of others? I will venture into the realm of...not much.

Cortez wrote:When he was in the senate his colleagues were asked, "what's this fellow's main trait?" The answer? Ambition. They know him, we don't, that's what they said. Ambition builds power structures, ambition says what it has to to get what it wants. Altruism is not what you'd call a calling card of highly ambitious people. If the economic issues of the 2008 election are going to get worse (and they probably will), are those on the left going to hold him accountable or put the good of the nation on the back burner in favor of their ideological priorities?

This ramble cracks me up! Ambition is a bad thing? Really having ambition automatically excludes one from altruism? Tell that to my friends with Ph.Ds who have served in the Peace Corp. You are so wacked and a bitter man. Get a fucking clue about life already. And to say that his fellow senators said this...WTF! Who, where, and when? simple journalistic questions? And what are the ambitions of those that said this? another simple journalistic follow up question. I bet those in the Senate hardly know those they serve with, save for the professional lives they live or we'd of had a lot more senators outed for their "private" indiscretions.
I will hold Obama accountable as well as the House, the Senate, and the Supreme court as the the future of my great country. I sure as shit won't blame it all on BHO. Facts are facts jack! He did inherit a shit storm from Bu$H and the House and the Senate but it's his duty/job to do the best damn job he can to fix this mess. He has always claimed it takes every single American to help in this venture, that includes you "Corty"! So get to work and stop being such a pussy about who is president and who is God! You have some major work ahead of you and your party if you want to be relevant at all in the next elections. :wink:
GODDOG
Forum Addict

Postby Cortez » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:28 am

GODDOG wrote:I will hold Obama accountable as well as the House, the Senate, and the Supreme court as the the future of my great country. I sure as shit won't blame it all on BHO. Facts are facts jack! He did inherit a shit storm from Bu$H and the House and the Senate but it's his duty/job to do the best damn job he can to fix this mess. He has always claimed it takes every single American to help in this venture, that includes you "Corty"! So get to work and stop being such a pussy about who is president and who is God! You have some major work ahead of you and your party if you want to be relevant at all in the next elections.

I'm hoping you really are 23 y.o. or younger as your vernacular suggests. If so, never mind. If not, never mind.
Cortez
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:12 pm

Hey Forum addict godoggiedo, look in your review mirror. It's one of your posts coming back at you.

"this is just stupid! kinda like all your posts. you are not funny, witty, charming or remotely intelligent. we would not miss you if you stopped posting. your opinion is predictable and moronic but if it works for you... continue. remember this...we already have a Ned Flanders...at least in a great great while he can be perceived as somewhat comical. Jazz said it best...you are a troll!"

In your case though, even if it works "for you" there is no need and nothing will be gained if you "continue". Go placidly amidst the haste. Better yet, be still and know.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:38 am

[quote="fisticuffs"] There ideas have been played out to their end game and we're living it everyday. You're absolutely allowed to think the course of action he's taking is wrong but the jury won't be back on that one for a few years now will it.
[quote]You establishment Liberals and your corporate-sponsored politicians need to wake up. The U.S. will continue its chosen way to destruction as long as we elect leaders that continue to reject in practice and principle pacifism and collectivism. Until we replace this social order which is activated by greed and functioning through exploitation, aquisition and accumulation, this country will continue to decay. Continued warfare and handing the public trust over to corporate greedheads is not change, but more of the same, no matter what political party is in control.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to National Politics & Government