MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 22.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Jesus Christ Superstar...No Talent Ass Clowns!!!

Theater, Dance, Visual Arts, Music That Doesn't Rawk, Overture issues, etc.

Jesus Christ Superstar...No Talent Ass Clowns!!!

Postby NMFD » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:14 am

Okay I decided I had to say something and so I will. How in the world does a place like Madison Rep not get the seats filled when the Overture was packed last night for an awful demonstration of jazz hands and burlap.

The set was awful, the costumes were just plain boring and I am sorry, but if you cannot understand what jesus is singing then why even go? I applaud the efforts given by all, but I cannot understand how they can charge the amount they do and set up a couple of platforms and then throw on some baggy pants while singing what is admittedly not a great score.

Save your money, go see a local production, but whatever you do support the arts because they will always make you laugh, smile, cry and get excited bout somethin.
NMFD

Re: Jesus Christ Superstar...No Talent Ass Clowns!!!

Postby Igor » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:30 pm

NMFD wrote: I applaud the efforts given by all, but I cannot understand how they can charge the amount they do and set up a couple of platforms and then throw on some baggy pants while singing what is admittedly not a great score.

It always was overrated - it got more play because it offended some. While I'm not a big fan of *being* offended I also don't subscribe to the "It is good because it offends *those people* " either.

That being said, I have never seen a stage production of it that sounded anywhere close to the quality of the original album. Not only can't Ted Neely carry Ian Gillan's jockstrap, he can't carry Rod Evans' either. (see: Captain Beyond)
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:05 pm

I've never seen a performance of it - but is Ted Neely known for anything other than his poorly received performance in the film adaptation?

I mean, Jeepers Creepers!
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:07 pm

mrak wrote:I mean, Jeepers Creepers!

The first time I saw that was also the first time I was glad for the existence of Jesus Christ, Superstar, proving that even the worst art can serve a useful purpose.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:02 am

The larger question here is why Overture wastes the time and effort to book Jesus Motherfucking Christ Tired-Ass Superstar in the first fucking place. Wasn't Overture going to elevate the arts in this city? Wasn't it going to provide us with cultural experiences this city was not otherwise equipped to entertain?

If that's your game, just rent the fucking hall out for high school productions already. It would probably prove a more lucrative effort.

And bring back Cats again and I swear I'll burn the fucking waste of space to the ground.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:38 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:The larger question here is why Overture wastes the time and effort to book Jesus Motherfucking Christ Tired-Ass Superstar in the first fucking place. Wasn't Overture going to elevate the arts in this city? Wasn't it going to provide us with cultural experiences this city was not otherwise equipped to entertain?

I think this post was preceded by the answer, provided in your first post...
How in the world does a place like Madison Rep not get the seats filled when the Overture was packed last night for an awful demonstration of jazz hands and burlap.

It's safe theater - you pretty much know what you're going to get, and if they pack the house - mission accomplished. I didn't see JCS, but enjoyed 'Avenue Q' & 'Sweeney Todd', though both could have benefited from a smaller, more intimate theater setting. Got some guilty pleasure out of 'The Wizard of Oz', too, sad to say. The offering of touring shows has a little edge - Sweeney Todd was certainly challenging and Avenue Q was not your typical family fare.

Maybe hosting these productions makes the Bartell all the more relevant, and these become a gateway for an audience member to explore something farther afield.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zapela » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:12 pm

While I was entertained by the show, I'm glad we didn't pay more than student rush prices, and even that was a bit steep for what was offered. I agree - set, costumes, sound, Jesus's voice - it was all pretty subpar. What shocked me the most, though, was that the audience gave a standing ovation! Have our standards sunk so low? The performance deserved no more than polite applause.
Zapela

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:18 pm

I really miss Mr. Show
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Quality local theater

Postby psycho » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:40 pm

If you are looking for a good example of quality local theater, check out Vamp at the Bartell. Wonderfully acted, hilarious, and a deep psychological message ... all at an affordable price. No need to throw money down Overture's hole.
psycho

Postby Kovalic » Sun May 31, 2009 5:06 pm

Zapela wrote:What shocked me the most, though, was that the audience gave a standing ovation!

This is Madison - I think touring performers have standing ovations written into their contracts when they come here.
Kovalic

Postby Metallicist » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:38 am

NMFD wrote:Okay I decided I had to say something and so I will. How in the world does a place like Madison Rep not get the seats filled when the Overture was packed last night for an awful demonstration of jazz hands and burlap.

The set was awful, the costumes were just plain boring and I am sorry, but if you cannot understand what jesus is singing then why even go? I applaud the efforts given by all, but I cannot understand how they can charge the amount they do and set up a couple of platforms and then throw on some baggy pants while singing what is admittedly not a great score.

Save your money, go see a local production, but whatever you do support the arts because they will always make you laugh, smile, cry and get excited bout somethin.

Easy there Bob.
Metallicist

Return to The Arts