MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

A Call For Term Limits- Are You Listening, WPR?

Theater, Dance, Visual Arts, Music That Doesn't Rawk, Overture issues, etc.

Re: A Call For Term Limits- Are You Listening, WPR?

Postby sunsetvillage » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:06 pm

I think there is some confusion between Dunn and Joy Cardin. Joy, bless her soul, for she is a nice person and hard worker, does not belong behind a mic. Historically, she was a temporary fill-in after her predecessor Tom Clark retired, but for some unexplained reason, the "temporary" became permanent. Her moodiness, inarticulate phrasing, stuttering, and groping for words, combined with her inability to effectively balance any guest's or caller's falsehood or inflammatory statement with followup questions, have pushed me to other stations during her 6-9 am slot. She does not belong on the air, plain and simple. Larry Meiller does a terrific job because he is articulate, sticks to what his audience likes and expects, and clearly loves his job.
sunsetvillage

Postby pattymcnutt » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:27 pm

I agree. I usually only listen to the radio in the car on the way to and from work, but I can't stand Joy Cardin's show. She is always groping for words and when she finds them, she speaks in a monotone (even her LAUGH is in a monotone). She tends to sound really rude and dismissive to the callers, although I am not sure she intends to sound that way.
pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:44 am

wallrock wrote:There's only one show I actively hate and that's fucking Radio Lab. Something about that show drives me up the fucking wall. I'll even turn off Morning Edition if those fuckers get a segment at the end of the hour.
Amen! It's so painfully contrived and self-strokingly affected that it's positively emetic.

And if I never hear Urine Earth again, it will be too soon.

But I have to say that, generally, WPR is vastly better than Michigan Public Radio. There they switched to an all-talk format and boosted the ads a thousand-fold. Ads seem to accrete to the brief segments of content like zebra mussels to rock, and it all becomes one big amorphous blob of corporate-sponsored noise.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby stevenwilliams » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:41 am

My beef with the Ideas Network is the sameness, day in day out, the same narrow cast of college profs, lib pundits, or book authors, very stuffy,, predictiable, and stuck on autopilot. Why not cut Cardin back to two hours a day, insert a live "On Point," and give Wisconsin listeners a chance to participate in the strongest program in the lineup? I Joy is a nice person, but really don't understand why she's on the air three hours a day. Very limited depth of knowledge and broadcasting skills. Also, dumb as rocks to have "On Point" and "Fresh Air" in competition at 6 pm. WPR is way too much in love with itself and its royal past. I love to turn on the radio and hear something interesting. Doesn't happen on 970 or 88.7 much any more.
stevenwilliams

Postby Ducatista » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:14 pm

I've never gotten over Simply Folk taking up BOTH NETWORKS from 5 to 7 on Sunday. We refer to that time slot as Simply Fucked at our house.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:51 pm

Ducatista wrote:I've never gotten over Simply Folk taking up BOTH NETWORKS from 5 to 7 on Sunday. We refer to that time slot as Simply Fucked at our house.
I know that's right! It's the radio equivalent of a TV test pattern, but vastly more annoying.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:22 pm

I didn't know it was on both networks. I never miss it, and I'm sorry you don't like it.

But I do. So screw the both a ya.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:41 pm

My gripe with the discussion shows on WPR has always been the tendency to bring in people on the extremes of an issue and let them spout off. While that may technically be "balanced", it might be nice to hear a reasoned voice in the middle once in a while.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ColumbiaCounty » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:42 pm

Stomach wrote:I have similar feelings about a few shows on WORT but I don't want to hijack your thread. Not call in/interview shows, but programs that have been running for a long time and the host has not infused anything fresh into their time slot.

Agreed. WORT has some wonderful programming and also some folks who should have moved on a long time ago. I think the idea of term limits fits the WORT volunteer/community model better than the WPR situation.
ColumbiaCounty

Postby stevenwilliams » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:57 am

Golly is there a better illustration than Friday morning of the irrevelance of WPR talk programs. The biggest political event in decades, a few blocks away, and WPR listeners get an anyomimous college prof talking head. Bloodless, dull, dead radio. I'll take Sly any day.
stevenwilliams

Postby minicat » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:58 am

Anonymous ... and yet another right wing shill in their parade of such jerks for "balance."
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:37 pm

Loved this morning's report about the "Bush era" DOMA. They even reported it was passed in 1996.

Sloppy is sloppy.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:11 pm

The current WPR fund drive reminds me that Twitter was persuaded to put off maintenance tasks that would take them offline, in order to promote communication amongst Iranian pro-democracy demonstrators.

WPR, WTF?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:28 pm

fennel wrote:The current WPR fund drive reminds me that Twitter was persuaded to put off maintenance tasks that would take them offline, in order to promote communication amongst Iranian pro-democracy demonstrators.

WPR, WTF?
Damn, I'd almost forgotten about this! A survival response, I suppose. Imagine that WPR essentially went offline in the middle of the largest labor protests in U.S. history!
And now I'm embarassed to say that what got me thinking about this was no more than a spate of distressing creaky voice weather announcements by Kristen Durst.

Somehow, I equate creaky voice with institutional inertia, though I don't exactly know why. I picture someone repeatedly yanking on the start-rope of a long-neglected push-mower until the fly-wheel finally gains enough momentum to propel a lugubrious litany of day-to-day news packages serving only to separate the ads, or "sponsored messages," if you like.

And yes, RadioLab® remains the most over-wrought processed cheese-goo I've ever had the misfortune to hear. Wannabe pablum, that!
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:21 pm

fennel wrote:And yes, RadioLab® remains the most over-wrought processed cheese-goo I've ever had the misfortune to hear. Wannabe pablum, that!

The two RadioLab guys were interviewed on The Colbert Report this past week.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to The Arts