MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 40.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Framing prints- recommendations?

Theater, Dance, Visual Arts, Music That Doesn't Rawk, Overture issues, etc.

Framing prints- recommendations?

Postby swoon_queen » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:21 pm

The last couple of threads on this date back a few years, so I thought I'd reopen the topic. I have a stack of prints to frame, and they're taking up lots of space/collecting lots of dust while I hem and haw over the framing expense. I'd like to put up at least two of them in the next couple of weeks (they were a gift from a friend, and she'll be visiting us in late Sept).

Noting that I want to spend as little as possible, but still want them to look decent, and that they are oddly sized so just putting them in a conventional frame is impossible, anyone have any recommendations? Particularly looking for price information- it's been nearly a decade since I had something framed, and I don't even know what I should expect budgetwise. There are lots of frame shops in Madison with websites that [understandably] don't even get into pricing.

Thanks for any help!
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Re: Framing prints- recommendations?

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:37 pm

I haven't used them, but a friend said Ben Franklin does a good inexpensive job.

http://www.superpages.com/bp/Madison-WI ... 750281.htm
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:41 pm

Hobby Lobby. For real.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:09 pm

Thanks so much! Crockett, do you recall pricing at Hobby Lobby?

Stebben84- I did not even know there was a Ben Franklin in Madison. I'll have to check it out just for the memories of ransacking their weird miniatures aisle as an obsessed child :)
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby Crockett » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:19 pm

swoon_queen wrote:Thanks so much! Crockett, do you recall pricing at Hobby Lobby?

They run specials. About a third to a quarter of what a 'frame shop' would charge you.

Every frame is different so I can't give you a figure but its worth your time going over there.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:55 pm

If you want something really nice, go to Catura's Framing on the west side. The people there have a very good eye as to what kind of frame will look good with the picture and I've never been disappointed. They take the time to go over mat colors with you too. Michael's is cheaper especially if you catch one of their sales, but not nearly as many options. Michael's does have a very good selection of the pre-made frames so you might be able to find a something that will fit and then mat it yourself.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby wenrum » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:10 am

Well, you probably need to have one custom built for you. I mean that could be an option if you want something that is perfectly fit for what you have. That is not really the most efficient if you are considering to be economical as custom ones are always a little more expensive when compared to the mass produced ones you can just get from any frame store.
wenrum

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:40 am

Hey Swoon,

This second hand info from some of my "crafy-ish" friends, but they maintain you can buy the materials and backing online and do it yourself with great results -- and save yourself about 90% of what most frame shops have to charge to stay in business

I've never done it myself, but apparently its an afternoon project that is well worth it. Start looking through the youtube's and see if its up your alley.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Return to The Arts