MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 28.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Contemporary classical music

Theater, Dance, Visual Arts, Music That Doesn't Rawk, Overture issues, etc.

Contemporary classical music

Postby zeropoint » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:02 pm

Hi all--

I'm a big fan of a lot of contemporary classical music. (I have way too many favorites to name, but to give you a sampling, I love Satie, John (Coolidge) Adams, Meredith Monk, Arvo Part, the list goes on and on...)

Anyway, this is such a niche that I'm having trouble finding events to go to and also meeting people with similar interests. I try to keep up with what's going on with the MSO and the UW music department, but I find that most of their repertoire is quite a bit older than the music I like. I've also unsuccessfully tried craigslist.

Can anybody suggest local ways to connect with contemporary classical fans and/or composers? (And, yes, if you're a fan, feel free to get in touch!)
zeropoint

Re: Contemporary classical music

Postby kurt_w » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:24 am

It says a lot about classical music that a guy who died in 1925 is considered "contemporary".

Have you checked out Classical Revolution Madison? Not everything that they play is contemporary (not all of it is classical, actually) but some of it would qualify. It also seems like a group of folks who would be more likely to share your interest than the average MSO concertgoer. (According to the website, they had some kind of event yesterday with "Gabriel Prokofiev, the DJing grandson of Sergei Prokofiev"....)

Other than that, I'd guess your best bet would be to just keep an eye on the UW Music Department calendar, and cherry-pick whatever contemporary performances you can find.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Contemporary classical music

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:02 pm

Wisconsin Chamber Orchestra programs sometimes feature recent work. The January WCO concert had music by Douglas Lilburn and Mark Kopytman. You might also look to smaller groups like the Oakwood Chamber Players, whose March program includes Gwyneth Walker's "Threesome" (2005). The UW's Pro Arte Quartet is playing an entire centennial season of new commissions.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Return to The Arts