MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Laws against noise pollution?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Laws against noise pollution?

Postby hermitnerd » Mon May 04, 2009 5:18 pm

We live a few blocks away from University Ave, and the normal traffic noise is a pleasant whisper, but whenever there is a Harley or comparably loud vehicle, I swear the decibel level is about 100 times higher.

Most of the focus is on air and other more tangible kinds of pollution (and even those are difficult to punish), so I'm not holding out much hope, but I just wanted to see how other people feel about this issue and whether there is anything that could possibly be done about it.

In general, the vibe I get from vehicles that have super loud motors or stereo systems is "I don't give a crap about those around me, I can do whatever the hell I want, it's legal". Do they have any idea how much they are affecting people around them?

I wish traffic police in Madison had decibel meters in addition to their speed radars...
hermitnerd

Re: Laws against noise pollution?

Postby fisticuffs » Mon May 04, 2009 5:20 pm

So you want people to make their Harely's quieter? Good luck with that. Maybe start smaller. Like getting those damn kids off your lawn.

I'd call you a Waaahbulance but it might be too noisy for you.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby isuftin » Mon May 04, 2009 6:05 pm

I can totally side with the original poster about noise levels being ridiculous in Madison. I used to live on a busy corner on East Washington and it was pretty awful. At every red light we'd sit through loud stereos. When the light would turn green we'd either hear people peeling out, a blast of the fart can on the back of riced out Civics ow a blast of a motorcycle exhaust. Try watching a good movie or sleeping through that. As far as I can tell, Madison has no noise ordinance laws. I'd certainly not be opposed to them.
isuftin
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Mon May 04, 2009 6:38 pm

isuftin wrote:I used to live on a busy corner on East Washington and it was pretty awful.

No way.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon May 04, 2009 6:54 pm

Interestingly, Harleys exported to the EU have their mufflers modified to meet noise pollutions standards there. As a side effect, they have more horsepower.

I gotta say, I never saw the appeal of riding a motorcycle that sounds as if it's broken.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon May 04, 2009 8:10 pm

I'm reading a book about happiness that touches on this issue. Its based on philosophy and psychological science, pretty interesting stuff. A common happiness formula in contemporary social psychology is a combination of biological setpoint (S) plus the conditions of your life (C) plus voluntary activities (V) you participate in.

H = S + C + V

So the goal of happiness research is to figure out what aspects of C and V can increase H (in the absence of gene therapy to boost S). Based on current research, noise is one of five aspects of C that reliably affect our happiness (the others are commuting, lack of control, shame and relationships). This finding also supports the idea that homes right in front of traffic lights are more difficult to sell. Traffic driving past your home can be noisy, but typically it is less so than adjacent to a traffic light. When cars stop at lights, then start up again, often revving or playing loud music, the noise is more aversive.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon May 04, 2009 8:16 pm

Another good argument for roundabouts, where traffic is slowed but rarely stopped.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon May 04, 2009 8:45 pm

Agreed. TV is evil.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Mon May 04, 2009 8:59 pm

If the loudest of the boom-boom stereos went away, I wouldn't be too sad.
Although it seems like there's less of them lately than there were maybe three years ago. Maybe it's the economy, people don't cruise around pointlessly as much anymore?
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hermitnerd » Wed May 06, 2009 1:32 pm

>> So you want people to make their Harely's quieter?

Yes exactly. But more than that, I would like there to be noise pollution laws in place, specific to vehicles, so that Harley owners are forced to either put mufflers on those babys or pay stiff fines. Madison is a progressive town, it got a city-wide smoking ban implemented before many other places, it doesn't seem that far-fetched to me.

Anybody know who to talk to about this?
hermitnerd

Postby juanton » Wed May 06, 2009 2:51 pm

hermitnerd wrote:>> So you want people to make their Harely's quieter?

Yes exactly. But more than that, I would like there to be noise pollution laws in place, specific to vehicles, so that Harley owners are forced to either put mufflers on those babys or pay stiff fines. Madison is a progressive town, it got a city-wide smoking ban implemented before many other places, it doesn't seem that far-fetched to me.

Anybody know who to talk to about this?

Your realtor?
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stan Darsh » Wed May 06, 2009 3:02 pm

I don't know how bad it is for you but for me personally I can understand your frustration. Where I live now, there is a car that seems to have no exhaust that drives down our street at 7am and then a couple times a night. It drives me bonkers and I can hear her coming a mile away. I also used to live above a bar that was frequented by lots of cycle riders. I had no air conditioning and the only windows were near the parking area. Every night in the summer I would get a lovely 2am surprise when all those cycles left the bar.

However, I don't know that this is something we need a law against. The vehicle driving up and down my street every day with no muffler is breaking the law but she's been doing it for a month and it hasn't stopped her yet. And no, most of them don't care how the noise associated with their vehicles affects others--especially the loud stereo crowd. Very annoying indeed but I don't see the need for a law.
Stan Darsh

Postby Chuck_Schick » Wed May 06, 2009 3:02 pm

hermitnerd wrote:Anybody know who to talk to about this?

Maybe someone who gives a fuck?

Yeah, I live on a major thoroughfare and I get tired of the little boys on their hair dryers masquerading as sport bikes whizzing by my house and 500K RPM and the $500 jalopy with the $5000 subwoofer that threatens to crack the foundation of my house though it is apparently useless against whatever brand of concrete is lining the skull of the driver ... but ...

Noise ordinances? Enforced? Seriously? Call me crazy, but I want my city's cops to be doing something productive with their time and my tax dollars.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed May 06, 2009 3:14 pm

Car stereos are one thing but silencing a Harley is down right sacrilegious. A lot of those guys on loud bikes? They are your doctor, your lawyer, your police officer for sure, maybe even your accountant and public representative. not gonna happen. Not in WI.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Wed May 06, 2009 6:36 pm

There are already laws to deal with loud bikes and cars. Others have said they don't want cops to spend time enforcing them and Madison is not the type of place where we regularly enforce equipment violations, including having a head light or tail light out, a cracked windshield, obstructed view with stickers, etc...

Harleys and import tuner cars don't come from the factory with those loud exhausts. Their owners customize them to make them that way so they can show their style and indivduality or something like that using aftermarket parts that are illegal to use on the street.

If there were enough complaints to alders about these loud vehicles, then there would be action taken. If you want something done in this town, you need to get the alders on it. City departments jump when their heads get calls from alders. They hate getting call after call from an alder asking them to do something about a problem.

fisticuffs wrote:Car stereos are one thing but silencing a Harley is down right sacrilegious. A lot of those guys on loud bikes? They are your doctor, your lawyer, your police officer for sure, maybe even your accountant and public representative. not gonna happen. Not in WI.

Don't lump me in with the Hardly Ableson crowd. I ride a quiet, reliable Legendary Motorcycle from Germany, as do three of my co-workers. More ride UJMs, but I don't recall too many of our cops riding loud H-Ds, just factory ones. But you're right about loud Harleys in WI...never going to change.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe