MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Effin' triathletes!

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Effin' triathletes!

Postby snoqueen » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:18 pm

I could hear that loudspeaker 3+ miles from the square at 7 am. I do think someone could discuss this with the triathlon organizers next year and ask them to turn it down and aim it at the crowd, not the entire east side. Believe me, what they were announcing didn't sound all that important.

This has to be the most narcissistic sporting event ever. Each triathlete has a whole entourage to hold their bikes, peel off their wetsuit, yadda yadda, and they all show up in town a week early to train. Obviously, these are not regular people with jobs. The Madison Marathon is positively funky in comparison.

I am sitting at a coffee shop as I write this and the people at the next table are... complaining about Ironman.

I suppose the triathlon will stay until somebody gets tangled in lake weeds and has to be rescued, and I know they drop a lot of money, but I'll be glad when they're gone. I like the Airstream people, the Goldwing convention, and the world dairy expo better.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:34 pm

I see the hating/stupidity is at full force today.

Yeah, the only alternative to holding it all day is peeing in the streets; I wonder what all those porta potties are for.

Not regular people with jobs? Everyone I know who's done this (10-15 people) is a regular person with a job.

I took 10 people off the bike course today and once again they were all very grateful and very humble. I'm glad none of them has to read your crap.

If you have such a complex about this, just leave town for the day already.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:21 pm

For what it's worth:

The Greater Madison Convention & Visitors Bureau estimates Ironman athletes and their fans spend at least $2.3 million in the Madison area during the event - a number referenced by Mayor Dave Cieslewicz in his blog Friday.

Such figures occasionally become controversial, with skeptics wondering if the numbers are inflated to justify shutting down portions of a city. But Deb Archer, president of the visitors bureau, called the group's figure conservative.

In addition to spending time in Madison during the event, some athletes and their families visit the city prior to the race to train, and some come back for vacations, said Helen Manning, an Ironman spokeswoman. Ironman athletes skew upscale, with an average annual household income of $161,000. The entry fee for Sunday's race was $550.

"You have to understand the people you're dealing with," said Richards, whose husband is an attorney. "These are families who can afford $5,000 bikes."

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... dd7e0.html
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:30 am

bluethedog wrote:Yeah, the only alternative to holding it all day is peeing in the streets; I wonder what all those porta potties are for.

People racing are taking time to use a port-a-potty? It's just a fact that marathoners pee as they go. They don't stop to use the facilities.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:40 am

green union terrace chair wrote:
bluethedog wrote:Yeah, the only alternative to holding it all day is peeing in the streets; I wonder what all those porta potties are for.

People racing are taking time to use a port-a-potty? It's just a fact that marathoners pee as they go. They don't stop to use the facilities.

Marathons are different than IM; especially Wisconsin where there's not too many places to go without getting arrested.

I just got back from downtown. I feel for anyne who lives down there; man was it loud.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:33 am

bitcharista wrote:The ironman is an international event. You are representing our country. Please stop being fucking idiots and go out of your way to treat these freaky athletic people and their entourage with unreasonable kindness and respect. Knock their fucking socks off with how cool we are, ok?

I for one am more fucking glad than I can possibly fucking indicate that you took the fucking time to tell us what a fucking great thing the fucking Ironman is and how we should fucking act like we are so fucking glad and lucky to fucking have these fucking great people in our fucking midst. You are defintely the fucking coolest member of this fucking forum. Except for maybe BookPig.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Delicious » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:35 am

I live downtown. I've worked at being somewhere between supportive and tolerant all week, of all the people wandering around. I think the extra foot traffic is good, and I was happy to see them spending at businesses and the farmer's market. However, the actual race day really was terribly irritating. It was very loud with the speakers and the crowds. I mean, I am pretty used to big events going on outside, and my usual strategy is to try to participate as much as possible, and see the good in them, but the crowds of people cheering between 11PM and 1AM as the last marathon finishers were coming in were driving me nuts. I live right along the course. I was ready to jam a cowbell down the throat of the next person to yell WHOOOO. I know it was really exciting, but I wish those people near my windows had just gone all the way to the finish line to cheer that late.

All that said, I find the Taste of Madison much more irritating. The streets downtown are still incredibly filthy all these days later. I can't believe what a mess ToM makes in comparison to other large outdoor events downtown. It looks like the floor of a movie theater all around the square.
Delicious

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:30 am

scratch wrote:(meanspirited snark, followed by an apropos-of-nothing shot at me)

What's your problem?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:37 am

bitcharista wrote:Someone should have told you duffusses about this event ahead of time.

The ironman is an international event. You are representing our country. Please stop being fucking idiots and go out of your way to treat these freaky athletic people and their entourage with unreasonable kindness and respect. Knock their fucking socks off with how cool we are, ok?

Thank you.

Pretty early on a Saturday to be this drunk. That or this is a curious item for you, in particular, to get all huffy about.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:40 am

bluethedog wrote:If you have such a complex about this, just leave town for the day already.

Or: Log on to Forum, complain for a tiny bit, and leave it at that.

I've seen hating on this board. This thread ain't hating.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:57 am

green union terrace chair wrote:

They've also been known to shit themselves as they run.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby bluethedog » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:34 am

Yeah I'm sure that's happened too, but if you really knew what you were talking about, you would know the real problem is:

VOMIT

Puking is a pretty typical thing. They told the finish line catchers to be ready for it and I saw one guy on the bike course let loose. It must be really bad on the run course.

Hell, the male pro that won it threw up on the swim!
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:44 am

My girlfriend's ex was an ironman. She says some pee as they go and some, probably most, don't. She says peeing to the side of the road while biking is a definite skill some work on.

We could hear the loudspeaker out here by Kipp. Must be pretty loud up there.

It's an odd sport for sure and her descriptions of the all day task of being an ironman-mate, are not too flattering. I don't have the awe of it that many people do and I don't consider them the greatest athletes in the world by a long shot. It's an amazing feat of endurance, doing three things most people can do. I admire it for what it is but I would also challenge anyone from the ironman to take me on in three things I'm good at.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:53 am

narcoleptish wrote:I admire it for what it is but I would also challenge anyone from the ironman to take me on in three things I'm good at.

Damn straight, if it were the pub ironman. I'm pretty confident I could drink any of those guys under the table and beat 'em at darts too. The pool table would be my weakest event, but I'm sure I could still hold my own.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lolabrat » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:20 am

I am really disgusted that some hard core athletes pee on themselves.
For all of their hard training and dedication I think peeing on themselves -even during a race- is a major step down from all they have worked for.
How can one feel good about themselves doing that? Is a good time really going to make them forget they are soaking with sweat AND URINE?Sickening. Unless you're a possible winner of this race, go take a pee in a real toilet. Lose 1 minute of the race, it's ok.
It's uncivilized to pee on oneself. These athelets buy $5000 bikes, several hundred-possible thousands on outfits, shoes, helmet, gloves, socks, etc. Many of these people are rich yuppies- it is expensive to enter the Ironman, everything it takes to compete is very costly. Peeing on yourself doesn't seem to fit into this equation. Elite people shouldn't pee on themselves.
Now i am even more annoyed by this event here. So grossed out. No one could pay me enough to pee myself.
Someone mentioned pooping themselves too. I don't even know how to express my negative feelings about that one.
lolabrat

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe