MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Borat

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Borat

Postby aaronetc » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:10 pm

My wife and I caught a free screening of the Borat movie a couple weeks ago at Eastgate and it was hilarious. The humor got a little low-brow in places, but never in an unfunny way. I'm really looking forward to whatever behind-the-scenes stuff might be on the DVD, because it's not at all clear how much of it is scripted and how much of it isn't.

There's another showing tomorrow night on the west side (though I'm not sure exactly where).
aaronetc
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:06 pm
Location: On the Isthmus

Postby TAsunder » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:05 pm

Had you previously seen him on Da Ali G show?

I love the Borat character. Cohen amazes me with his improvisational skills. I saw him as Borat on the Conan O'Brien show once and it was really hilarious.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4783
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison

Postby Learned » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:32 pm

Learned
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1563
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2001 11:02 am

Postby aaronetc » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:40 pm

TAsunder wrote:Had you previously seen him on Da Ali G show?


Yeah, the Borat segments were always my favorite, just because people seemed to let their guard down around him in a way they didn't with Cohen's other characters. The movie's no exception -- there are a couple moments that rival the rednecks singing along with "Throw the Jew Down the Well."
aaronetc
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:06 pm
Location: On the Isthmus

Postby TAsunder » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:09 pm

Saw an entertaining piece about the people who were duped by Borat this morning. Worth a read. Some funny lines in there.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4783
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison

Postby northwoods_babe » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:42 pm

Headline I saw today:

Baron Cohen Challenged to a Dual

I assume they meant to say 'duel'?

Any bets as to whether Cohen will accept the challenge? Sounds like something he'd do.
northwoods_babe
Senior Member
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:59 am
Location: Madison

Postby towanda » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:52 pm

I caught Cohen on a couple of talk shows. Didn't care for his brand of humor, so I'll be skipping the movie.
towanda
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:34 am

Postby Beer Moon » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:15 pm

On his appearance on The Daily Show, he pretended not to know that John Stewart was Jewish, then when he found out he said "Ahhh but you have had plastic surgery yes?" Stewart started to respond and Borat said "You have had your horns removed".

LOL!!!!!!!!
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2032
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:08 pm

Postby cristobal » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:38 am

We saw it. It was funny in places but I wouldn't say hilarious. Of recent movies, Jackass 2 was way, way funnier.

I'm not Mr. Sensitive by any means but the hilarious laughter of the audience at the Jewish jokes made me uncomfortable. You do realize that most Wisconsinites have never met a Jewish person and some really believe they have horns? Seriously. Were they laughing because it was tongue-in-cheek or what?

Cristobal
cristobal
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2002 2:56 pm
Location: Near East - Madison

Postby mrak » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:00 pm

cristobal wrote:Were they laughing because it was tongue-in-cheek...?

I certainly think they were.

While I think most people would be hard put to take Borat's ridiculously ill-informed anti-Semitism at face value, it did make for some of the more squirmy moments in the film.

There are people who will feel this shouldn't matter, but for me, knowing it was conceived, written and performed by a Jewish comedian helps me to laugh along with it.

Producing satire does carry with it an inherent risk that part of the audience may not get it. I have little doubt that Sacha Baron Cohen is well aware of this, and willingly assumes that risk.

The Anti-Defamation League issued a well-thought-out statement on this aspect of the film:

http://www.adl.org/PresRele/Mise_00/4898_00.htm
mrak
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2393
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:26 pm

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:06 pm

I have not seen this movie. I have not seen the Ali G Show (and I know that its proper title begins with "Da." I'm not going to play along). I don't plan on watching either.

I honestly don't understand how widespread the acclaim is for Cohen. I get why some people think it's funny, but I can't believe that reviewers are hailing this flick as one of the great satires of all time, and that Cohen should get an Academy Award nod.

I think the claim that this movie demonstrates the subtle and hidden bigotries of many Americans (the ones who sing along with the "Throw the Jew Down the Well" song, for example) is grossly unfair to most Americans.

If a well-meaning but socially inept foreign journalist tried to interview you, and made a total ass of himself (see: Chris Farley interviewing Paul McCartney on SNL), would you cut him to pieces and walk away, or would you do your best to be friendly and accomodating? I think that America, particularly middle America, falls into the latter category. That's why they're rife for ridicule.

This movie (from my perspective) doesn't show the latent racism and bigotry of middle America. It shows that a comic with little to no heart can rip them to ribbons by abusing their notions of "let's make the stranger feel at home."
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8404
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Postby LoopBo » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:14 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I have not seen this movie. I have not seen the Ali G Show (and I know that its proper title begins with "Da." I'm not going to play along). I don't plan on watching either.

I honestly don't understand how widespread the acclaim is for Cohen. I get why some people think it's funny, but I can't believe that reviewers are hailing this flick as one of the great satires of all time, and that Cohen should get an Academy Award nod.

I think the claim that this movie demonstrates the subtle and hidden bigotries of many Americans (the ones who sing along with the "Throw the Jew Down the Well" song, for example) is grossly unfair to most Americans.

If a well-meaning but socially inept foreign journalist tried to interview you, and made a total ass of himself (see: Chris Farley interviewing Paul McCartney on SNL), would you cut him to pieces and walk away, or would you do your best to be friendly and accomodating? I think that America, particularly middle America, falls into the latter category. That's why they're rife for ridicule.

This movie (from my perspective) doesn't show the latent racism and bigotry of middle America. It shows that a comic with little to no heart can rip them to ribbons by abusing their notions of "let's make the stranger feel at home."


lighten up. the people who get the most ridicule in the film usually have it coming. this film is not going to change the world, but it's damn funny.

it's kind of funny that you don't understand why he gets the critical acclaim, when you haven't seen his work. don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to be the defender of Borat here. i don't care if you like it or not. it's just funny that you have chosen to develop strong opinions on something you haven't even seen.
LoopBo
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 532
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:52 pm

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:31 pm

LoopBo wrote:lighten up. the people who get the most ridicule in the film usually have it coming. this film is not going to change the world, but it's damn funny.

it's kind of funny that you don't understand why he gets the critical acclaim, when you haven't seen his work. don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to be the defender of Borat here. i don't care if you like it or not. it's just funny that you have chosen to develop strong opinions on something you haven't even seen.


Well, I'm pretty sure I qualified my comments as being informed by indirect sources, so if you don't care what I think, why do you care enough to chime in and tell me how "funny" you think it is that I have an opinion at all?

It seems to me like a male version of that godawful "Girls Behaving Badly" show on WE or Oxygen or wherever it is, except with lame ethnic stereotypes. Doesn't really pull me in.

I think it's funny that you give a shit enough to critique my opinion based on not knowing me at all.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8404
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Postby aaron » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:31 pm

Hard for me to believe that people would spend any time on stuff like this, much less the money is costs to go to a movie these days. Posts on more serious and thoughtful films on here often get no responses at all. But someone posts about "Jackass" or "Borat", and the response is rather overwhelming.

I'm all for a good comedy, don't get me wrong. But they don't seem to make those anymore, IMHO.
aaron
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1548
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 1:30 pm

Postby Ducatista » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:36 pm

From a Fox News review which contends Borat would be better on YouTube:

"Regardless, America haters will love how Cohen uses Michael Moore-type scenarios to get his point across."

You can't make that shit up.

DaBookPolice, how credible do you think your perspective is on a movie you haven't seen, and don't plan on seeing? Ah, just saw your post on that. Good stuff.
Last edited by Ducatista on Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4351
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:31 pm
Location: 53703

Next

Return to Movies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar