MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

The Thing

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:41 pm

MadMind, you were looking for a halloween movie party idea. Make it Thing-Themed. Invite some Norwegians, some dogs, Wilford Brimley. Serve J&B whiskey. Flame-throwers optional.

Universal must have made enough money on Thing's sleeper-hit cachet that they now smell even more money. Man I hope the remake doesn't suck. Whatever happened to Rob Bottin?
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:25 pm

I have a few 80's horror movies that I never seem to tire of, The Thing being one of them (The Howling, The Shining and Alien are the others). Especially during a snowstorm in the winter, The Thing never lets me down.

I'm not sure that any movie stays scary after 20 or so viewings, except maybe The Exorcist, but I'm really at the point that there's nothing even remotely scary about The Thing anymore.

The computers crack me up, as does the token black dude, who happens to work in the kitchen but spends most of his time cruising the halls (get this!) on roller skates while listening to jive music. Seems more like Dave Chappell than John Carpenter, but hey, in the eighties all token black dudes rode roller skates while listening to jive music!

By the way, are there any scientists on this science expedition? Wilford Brimley? The dude who collects blood? The closest thing to scientists I see are a couple of Swedes (Norwegians!) in goofy goggles who get aced in the first five minutes.

I wish those computers could magically analyze and estimate the stupidity it took to imagine what computers would magically analyze in the future. In Carpenter's defense, the computer in Alien was kind of silly too.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:37 pm

I didn't think Thing was scary, so much as it gross. Ratched gross upto a new level.
As far as scientists, computers, etc.
This is horror movie, and there is a little something called "suspension of disbelief."
Wait, are you that guy that sits in front of me and complains about all this through the whole movie?
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Movies