MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Transformers

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Postby depinmad » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:36 pm

omegarobot wrote:Best part of this movie:

JJ Abrams 1.18.08 teaser 'what did I just see, now I wanna see that instead!' trailer. And how it's so secretive, you never see a title and even the internet doesn't harbor any information.

ain't that the new star trek or some shit?
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby omegarobot » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:26 pm

depinmad wrote:ain't that the new star trek or some shit?

Naw dawg, that's slated for a Dec. 2008 release. I've heard rumors that this is some kinda monster battle movie, like Godzilla. But better than the Roland Emmerich disaster. I've also heard rumors that it's told entirely from the perspective of the citizens who live in the city where the battle is raging on.

But then again, both those are just rumors.
omegarobot

Postby Shipley » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:59 pm

the secret JJ Abrahms produced movie is currently being called "Cloverfield" and is filmed entirely on hand held cameras. since there are no stars and they needed no sets built, the movie has been flying under the radar for a long time.

I'll agree that it looked neat, but I forgot about it when I saw Optimus Prime get tackled by Bonecrusher and then whip out the energy axe.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:05 pm

Shipley wrote:get tackled by Bonecrusher and then whip out the energy axe.

I need to work this phrase into ordinary conversation more often.
Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:34 am

transformers is as bad a summer action blockbuster as i have ever seen.
it's worse than howard the duck. way worse.
recently, "the host" showed that you could actually play with shifts of mood and tone and still get away with a successful action/sci-fi flick.
here, michael bay proves that he is clueless about how to do so.
he also proves himself completely worthless as a straight ahead director of action.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MLE » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:54 pm

Shipley wrote:I'll agree that it looked neat, but I forgot about it when I saw Optimus Prime get tackled by Bonecrusher and then whip out the energy axe.

That was the only cool part about the entire movie. Seriously. You're praising of it makes me suspicious that you might be Mr. Bay in disguise. I knew it was going to be a suckfest when I saw that he chose to "embellish" Optimus with flames. Flames?. And giving him lips was lame too. Damn you, Michael!
MLE
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:17 am

Looks like Transformers is coming to the Star Cinema IMAX on September 21.
http://www.starcinema.com/imax/movied.asp?ID=1675
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:19 am

Nerdgasm!
I have to agree with Shipley on this one. It was full of empty calories and I loved every minute!
Vince DiCola was a bit disappointed he wasn't brought in to help score the new live-action film, but the score by Steve Jablonsky rocked my world.

depinmad wrote:shia labouef is a bad actor?

Shia Ledouche just irks me. He's a little shit and I'm annoyed that he's managed to land all these high-profile roles (Indiana Jones 4).
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:30 pm

The thing about Transformers as a movie is it did everything I wanted from a Transformers movie. If I wanted true depth of the characters and story I'd go for the last 20 or so issues of the Marvel comic, the 2nd season of Beast Wars ("The Agenda" and "Code Of Hero" in particular) or the graphic novel "The War Within"

As it stands, the only thing I hadn't seen from Transformers was lifelike detail and transformations and action sequences. Michael Bay provided them.

I'm kind of bugged Vince Dicola and Stan Bush didn't get their due in the new movie after writing songs as corny as the 86 movie was.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Movies