MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 16.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Mr. Bean's Holiday

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Mr. Bean's Holiday

Postby MadMind » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:46 pm

Mr. Bean's Holiday
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0453451/

Mr. Bean seems to be a real divisive character - you either love 'em or you hate 'em.
Am I one of the few left that still has love for Mr. Bean?, and who sometimes secretly wishes that the incredibly talented Rowan Atkinson would reprise his television show?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DedeTate » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:49 pm

I, for one, am not a Bean fan. In fact, if you look at the imdb messageboards, one of the topics is "Monsieur Hulot ripoff?" That pretty much sums up my thoughts.
DedeTate
Forum Addict

Postby depinmad » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:49 am

awful movie, and in case you were thinking of bringing young kids, be warned, the movie is 98% in french, and contrary to they hype, there is PLENTY of dialogue, so be prepared to do a lot of reading out loud if you're bringing non reading age youngsters to this G rated atrocity.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:47 pm

That's too bad to hear. I guess none of Bean's spin-off's (films, animated series) have lived up to his original series.

I received one of Mr. Bean's Animated Series DVD's from the library just to see what they were like.
Mr. Bean voiced the character, joined writers meetings to provide insight as to how the bean character would react to situations, and even provided motion-capture for the animated character - and I just kept thinking to myself, why didn't they just make these into more authentic live-action Mr. Bean episodes rather than turning them into silly cartoons? What a waste.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:31 am

No Rowland Atkinson doesn't kind of suck.
But I worship the morphin face power ranger himself.
Especially the Bean TV show.
(Black Adder and others are okay but not the same.)
Not only is he hilarious but I enjoy the nostalgic feeling I get with the wordless skits and slapstick, all crammed into a half hour.
And I want that car.
(I would love to strip all Jerry Lewis movies down to just the brief moments of his acrobatic brilliance.)
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:10 pm

depinmad wrote:awful movie.

I have to disagree! I just saw this on DVD and call me crazy, but I enjoyed it!
It was quite the adventure. Better than the first Bean movie.
I was relieved that there wasn't any stupid conflict with criminals/crime like they always throw into movies like this. I liked that they filmed on-location. And it was all true to the Bean character.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies