MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 17.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Horror Movie Recommendations For October/Halloween

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Re: Horror Movie Recommendations For October/Halloween

Postby MadMind75 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:00 pm

AaronTheSnob wrote:We just watched one this weekend which was, without a doubt, the most intensely horrifying and edge-of-your-seat movie I have ever seen...so disturbing as to give you nightmares...seriously:

"Eden Lake"

Watched it last night. That is one of those movies I wish I hadn't seen.
Very lord of the flies-esque.
I kept hoping John Rambo would show up and mow those rotten nutters down with an AK-47. Although this was clearly a case of you take out the leader and the rest of 'em would scatter.
If anything it establishes the importance of responsible parenting and giving your children structure. Poor parenting can be cited as the root cause of a lot of future criminals. It makes the case for prospective parents to have to go through a rigorous application process in order to bring children into the world.

Athena wrote:Ginger Snaps is very good as a modern werewolf movie.

I'll agree. I enjoyed it.
Zloduska wrote:Last night I watched 'Clive Barker's' (I realize he didn't direct, they are just using his name for promotion) Midnight Meat Train with my boyfriend. Whoa, that movie was really messed up, but in a good way.

Solid Clive Barker adaptation. I enjoyed it. I didn't see where it was going and had a new found respect for the story after the spin. Had it just been a straight-forward serial killer type tale, I may have witheld my recommendation.

Recently, I thought 2009's Triangle was good.

Anybody seen any of the direct-to-DVD sequels, 30 Days of Night: Dark Days, Lost Boys: The Thirst, Mirrors 2, and the more or less direct-to-dvd Survival Of The Dead? Any good?
Last edited by MadMind75 on Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:52 pm

Zloduska wrote:Creepshow 3 is literally the worst moment ever made. You should stab yourself in the eyeballs with a rusty screwdriver rather than see this movie.

Now, you know with a glowing review like that I just had to see it for myself!
I don't know what you're talking about, but that movie was GREAT!
...Just kidding. HOLY MOSES! You were right. I've seen commercials better than this movie. WORST. MOVIE. EVER.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:30 pm

Tank Riot wrote:Scream 1996
(Wes Craven/Kevin Williamson (The Faculty)) Most aware of the genre award goes to "Scream". Only worthy Kevin Williamson film on list. Sorry Jon Stewart, "The Faculty" was good but...

Scream 4 is set for a April 15, 2011 release date, the same month as The Thing prequel.

Tank Riot wrote:Fright Night 1985
Evil Ed Stephen Geoffreys gives a great performance as does Roddy McDowall. A funny, 80s horror flick that bends the genre and has fun with it.

The Fright Night remake wraps up shooting this month and is set for a August 19, 2011 release date.
Interesting casting, though I'm a bit iffy on Colin Farrell as the vampire.

Athena wrote:The Host from this year is very good and well worth seeing.

Looks like the American remake is set for a 2011 release.
In November 2008 it was announced that Universal will be remaking The Host with Gore Verbinski producing, Mark Poirier writing the script, and first-time director Fredrik Bond directing the film.

Marvell wrote:It helps that Tim Burton has always had a lurid, b-movie visual aesthetic (with just a hint of high-art pretension).

Speaking of Tim Burton, Beetlejuice 2 (Wiki) and a Tim Burton remake of The Addams Family might not ever happen, but a Frankenweenie remake seems to be a sure thing, with a sheduled release date of March 9, 2012.
In November 2007, Tim Burton signed a deal with Disney to remake the film as a feature length, 3D stop motion film. In January 2009, the film was scheduled for a November 2011 release date and John August was hired to write. Allison Abbate and Don Hahn have signed in to produce the film. Burton began the casting of his movie at the end of November 2009. Walt Disney Pictures is set to produce the film. On August 9, 2010, the film was scheduled for release on March 9, 2012.

This feature length remake will follow the story similarly, with a few additions to fit the longer running time. Character descriptions in the leaked casting call suggest that the extended plot will include other schoolchildren discovering Victor's secret of how to bring animals back to life, and deciding to apply his work to their own dead pets, including a Japanese boy creating a Godzilla-like lizard creature, and a middle-eastern child who resurrects his pet hamster.

Burton has said that he intends to shoot the film in black and white.

Athena wrote:I'll assume you've seen Suspira. I think that's the scariest movie I've ever seen.

Sounds like a Suspiria remake could come as soon as 2012. Apparently, the idea has been batted around for years, starting with a previous incarnation planned for a 2005 release which never came to fruition.
In 2009, it was reported that the movie will star Natalie Portman and directed by David Gordon Green.
Natalie Portman's name has also been thrown around for a starring role in Ridley Scott's prequel to Alien.
I just don't understand it. I think Natalie Portman is a piss poor actress, and I especially don't want her stinkin' up the comeback to my beloved Aliens franchise.

And speaking of Dario Argento, seems as if he may have plans to remake Dracula, in 3D nonetheless.

bluethedog wrote:I saw Blair Witch at a drive in.

Last year it was announced that the directors of the original movie were pitching a second sequel for The Blair Witch Project.
I never bothered to see Blair Witch 2. Wasn't that interested in different directors taking the helm and making a more mainstream movie to capitalize off the first films success. I sort of get the same feeling about Paranormal Activity 2.

Tank Riot wrote:Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1974
Breakout film changes the direction of horror.

Another reboot?
It was announced that Twisted Pictures, the company behind Saw, had acquired the film rights to the Texas Chainsaw Massacre franchise from Platinum Dunes. Twisted is planning to create a new 3D film in the series that would be a contemporary reboot, throwing aside the recent two films that Platinum Dunes made and continuing on with a sequel to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 4.

Tank Riot wrote:Alien 1979
(Ridley Scott, Lance, Sigourney) Lance Hendrickson? Oh Yeah! Sigourney sells space terror? Definitely!
Is Dallas OK? Absolutely... Not...

I'm really looking forward to an Alien Prequel in 2012, but it looks like a hard road ahead.
Recently, Ridley Scott has been having trouble with the studio over the films budget and rating; Scott wants a $250 million budget along with an R rating, but 20th Century Fox doesn't feel confident about investing so much money in a film that isn't PG-13, and as a result the film's production is currently on indefinite hold.

Tank Riot wrote:An American Werewolf In London 1982
Humor and horror wrapped up in a nasty dish of raw meat! Breaks the boundaries of horror to grab the uninitiated, and works for all...

A possible remake in the works? Anything has got to be better than 'An American Werewolf In Paris'.
In June 2009, it was announced that Dimension Films was working with producers Sean and Bryan Furst on a remake of the film.

Flat_Atom wrote:The Howling - Fun werewolf movie w/ Dee Wallace. Not as good as "American Werewolf in London" but a decent (if slightly confusing) story and another cool transformation scene.

Sound like there are plans for a reboot entitled The Howling Reborn (Wiki).
Y'know, I've always enjoyed the direct-to-video Howling V: The Rebirth set in a castle.

Flat_Atom wrote:I'll second Cloverfield (good thrill ride all the way thru)

It's possible that a Cloverfield sequel could happen someday, just probably not anytime soon.

Flat_Atom wrote:Oldboy - Korean horror...really disturbing and realistic.

I've seen Oldboy and enjoyed it, but I wouldn't really consider it to be a "horror movie" per say.
Sounds like plans for the American remake is dead. Steven Spielberg directing and Will Smith starring? Honestly? Just seems like a really odd fit.
An American remake previously had director Justin Lin, best known for the teen crime drama Better Luck Tomorrow, attached. In November 2008, DreamWorks and Universal were securing the rights to the remake, which Will Smith has expressed interest in starring, with Steven Spielberg as director. Mark Protosevich was in talks to write the script, although the acquisition to the remake rights were not finalized. Smith has clarified Spielberg will not be remaking the film though: he is adapting the manga itself, which lacks the octopus eating and incest invented for the film. In June 2009, the comic's publisher launched a lawsuit against the Korean film's producers for giving the film rights to Spielberg without their permission. Later in November 2009, it was reported that Dreamworks, Steven Spielberg and Will Smith had stepped back from the project. The producing team announced on 10 November 2009 that the project is dead.
Last edited by MadMind75 on Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Re:

Postby MadMind75 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:11 am

OpEd wrote:Session 9 is probably one of the scariest movies i've ever seen.

I just saw Session 9 recently. It definitely affected me. Scariest movie I'd seen all year, maybe even in the past decade.
I ended up watching it again the following night, for one to clear up some things I was confused about, and two to take back some of the power it had over me on the first go around. Although it still managed to chill me even after the second viewing.

Some strong performances all around, and especially from the two leads, Peter Mullan and David Caruso. Another element that makes this a strong film is the fact that they use a real location as the setting, the abandoned Danvers State Insane Asylum.

Wasn't sure what to expect from the movie, as I didn't know much about it prior to viewing. Wasn't really sure what genre it fit into beforehand, whether it was a "haunted house" type film because of the setting or what have you. I guess if you gave away exactly what genre of horror film it is, you'd already be giving away too much.

Ugh, the sound of "Simon's" voice on the warped reel-to-reel creeped me tha f*@k out!
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:02 am

Any new recommendations/reviews this year?
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby pjbogart » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:27 pm

I thought "Insidious" was kind of fun. With a budget of only $1.5 million I'd say they got pretty good bang for their buck. The DVD cover said it was the scariest movie since the Exorcist. It wasn't quite that scary, but scary enough to justify plopping a dollar into your local Redbox.

In the age of CGI, "Insidious" bucks the trend with good old-fashioned scares. CGI done right can make a pretty compelling scene, but CGI done half-right might as well be clay-mation.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:45 pm

INSIDIOUS is streaming on Netflix, or at least it was. Worth a look, for sure.

I'm not sure if this is fair game as it's more of a comedic deconstruction of a certain brand of horror film than an actual horror film, but I liked CABIN IN THE WOODS a whole lot -- especially in the context of EVIL DEAD, of which it is practically a remake (with a weird twist or two) -- but don't want to say any more about it than that, except to add that if you like the genre you should check it out as blind as possible. Joss Whedon.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:35 pm

Just watched Insidious. Meh at best. Interesting story but didn't get scared or freaked out. I want to leave a movie afraid to go upstairs to my bedroom.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:30 pm

Now I Just watched Session 9. Nothing to see there. Damn if these recs don't suck.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:32 pm

I guess I don't watch horror movies to be truly frightened anymore. Having seen a few hundred I think I'm immune to losing sleep over them. But that doesn't mean that they can't be entertaining, perhaps creative gore or maybe even just imagining how someone who doesn't watch a lot of horror movies might lose some sleep. Cabin in the Woods was entertaining, the silly mer-man scene was a nice touch.

For those of you struggling with horror films because they give you nightmares, I recommend playing a few first person video games. Once you get in the habit of pulling out a shotgun to deal with the baddies, suddenly your dreams offer you a shotgun as well. Nightmares become something you resent waking up during. Oh, man, I was so ready to waste that vampire.

I saw a Halloween "50 greatest horror films" list with the option to create your own list at the end (using their presets). They ranked a few horror comedies too high, I thought. But "The Exorcist" still came in at #1 with almost twice the points of #2.

No "Wrong Turn" though. That's a good one, kind of a modern version of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre". If you haven't seen it, I'd give it a look.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:02 am

A few I've seen recently that I liked a lot:

* V/H/S - a "found footage horror anthology" by a few of the really good low budget horror guys including Adam Wingard, Ti West, etc. I found it to be surprisingly creepy and very effective (though you have to get about 30 minutes in for that to happen).

* Kill List - very highly rated by tons of folks, I found it to just be OK, but a fairly effective re-do of The Wicker Man but with soldier-types. (For some reason, horror movies with soldiers never work for me.)

* The Violent Kind - very low budget, but pretty fun and a lot of WTF moments and plot twists that you won't see coming.

* Detention - similarly very WTF in it's plotting and while it's not truly "scary", it's very fun and very hyper with the plotting, editing, etc.

* Wake Wood - very atmospheric, this is one of the new ones put out by Hammer Films (though I think they just distributed it, it's the most "Hammer"-ish movie I've seen in a long time, very creepy!)

* Amer - also very atmospheric and kind of slow, this is very cool if you like Giallo/Italian horror type stuff. Found it to be pretty effective.

* The Innkeepers - from "The House of the Devil" guy comes another slow moving creeper, but this time with humor to break things up. Ending sucks but up until then the movie is pretty rad.

* Tucker Dale Vs. Evil - very fun, in the vein of "Cabin In The Woods" but more straight up funny and with surprisingly better acting (though a not as good script)

* Dream Home - Asian slasher that doubles as a commentary on home ownership. Super cool!

***Grain of salt*** - I totally liked Insidious.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:33 pm

rrnate wrote:***Grain of salt*** - I totally liked Insidious.

It's not so much that I didn't like it. I thought it was well done and had an interesting concept. I was just hoping for something a little freakier. I watched the trailer before I watched the movie and they really made it seem tweaked out. I found the pace a bit slow and nothing really crazy happened until the last 15-20 minutes of the movie.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
rrnate wrote:***Grain of salt*** - I totally liked Insidious.

It's not so much that I didn't like it. I thought it was well done and had an interesting concept. I was just hoping for something a little freakier. I watched the trailer before I watched the movie and they really made it seem tweaked out. I found the pace a bit slow and nothing really crazy happened until the last 15-20 minutes of the movie.

You should totally check out V/H/S - it's slow at the very beginning, but with the anthology setting it quickly gets pretty freaky. Also, it's definitely the best anthology film I've seen in a long, long time.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:09 pm

rrnate wrote:You should totally check out V/H/S - it's slow at the very beginning, but with the anthology setting it quickly gets pretty freaky. Also, it's definitely the best anthology film I've seen in a long, long time.

I have vaguely heard of this and just watched the trailer. Just the trailer really freaked me out. I am definitely seeing this one. Thanks for the rec.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:11 am

Stebben84 wrote:
rrnate wrote:You should totally check out V/H/S - it's slow at the very beginning, but with the anthology setting it quickly gets pretty freaky. Also, it's definitely the best anthology film I've seen in a long, long time.

I have vaguely heard of this and just watched the trailer. Just the trailer really freaked me out. I am definitely seeing this one. Thanks for the rec.

Oh man, opted for V/H/S tonight instead of getting stupid drunk and felt like I got stupid drunk anyway. I think I would have been better off stuffing myself in a laundromat dryer and putting myself on tumble for a few hours. At least I wouldn't have needed the Dramamine.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Movies