MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, February 28, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 1.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

WIDE or FULL SCREEN?

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

WIDE or FULL SCREEN?

Postby blunt » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:00 pm

An odd fact from the On-Hold logs at the library:

3 to 4 times as many people have requested the FULL screen versions of DVDs than the WIDE.
Is letterboxing and ration manipulating the kind of tech-related dumbness that still results in blinking DVD players and the inability to use a cell phone?
Do any of you--the Forons would actually read something like this on an online message board movie section--choose the FULL over the WIDE?
And if so, WHY?
Why would anyone want to miss a large part of the panoramic pageant a movie is?
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LoopBo » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:07 pm

Why? Beacause I am an obese American and I want to be FULL. I know I'm already WIDE and I'm working on that. But dammit, I want to see Transformers and be FULL!!
LoopBo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:11 pm

In related news, Taco Bell has officially established a fourth meal!
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:32 pm

I am not going to get involved in this discussion any more than this comment, because the anti-letterboxing phenomenon is so infuriating I can barely restrain myself. I used to work at a video store, and was there when Titanic came out. I nearly gave myself an aneurysm.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:36 pm

Yup, it starts at 10pm. So you're out all night drinking, and what hits the spot at midnight?? An egg burrito. Mmm.......

I like the one that looks like it's the movie theatre version, but I do have to sit closer to the box. :(
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:03 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:...the anti-letterboxing phenomenon is so infuriating..

Just remember, the people who filled their DVD collections with 4:3 versions of their favorite movies will have to buy a new TV within the next couple of years - and that TV will probably be widescreen.

That'll leave them with chopped-down versions of their favorite films and black bars on the sides of the screen.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Re: WIDE or FULL SCREEN?

Postby meowzamusic » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:33 pm

blunt wrote:On-Hold logs

I swear this said "on-hold HOGS" and I thought to myself, gee that 4th meal must really be working it's magic on the Library staffers.
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Re: WIDE or FULL SCREEN?

Postby blunt » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:25 pm

meowzamusic wrote:
blunt wrote:On-Hold logs

I swear this said "on-hold HOGS" and I thought to myself, gee that 4th meal must really be working it's magic on the Library staffers.

hmmm.
Hold it!
The art show at the downtown libary this month is paintings of.....HOGS.
Big fat giant ones.
Piggish, actually.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:04 pm

I really don't understand the people who get the full screen dvds. I tend to assume that they don't know any better and think that the black bars on the side of screen mean they are missing something. Of course, these are the same people who have everything stretched to fill the screen on their wide screen tvs and don't notice or care that their local news anchors are now all short and fat.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:43 pm

People choosing full over wide makes about as much sense as the types of movie choices the masses make in general.

As long as I can see my special effects and art house films in wide, I don't care how many full screen copies of spoof gross out comedies are in criculation.

Also, going back to the first post, keep in mind these logs are for people who are not buying these movies, just taking them out at the library. These may not be cinema buffs.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies