MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, October 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 43.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

No Country For Old Men

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

No Country For Old Men

Postby harrissimo » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:00 pm

I am a huge Coen Brothers fan and was looking forward to this movie.

I am sorry to say that No Country For Old Men did not meet my expectations.

I thought the acting was excellent and technically it was beautiful but the ending just left me hanging there.

I will have to see it again because I think I missed something when Tommy Lee Jones' character talks about his dream just before the screen goes dark.

I was looking for some resolution but instead it seems as if evil won.

What do you think?
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Re: No Country For Old Men

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:24 am

harrissimo wrote:...the ending just left me hanging there.

So, you mean it was like Barton Fink?
Or The Man Who Wasn't There?
Or even The Big Lebowski, Fargo or O, Brother, all of which leave some plot threads hanging?

I haven't seen the new one yet, so maybe I will agree with you when I do, but the Coens aren't exactly always interested in telling a confined, linear story, so it seems like a strange complaint from a "huge Coen Brothers fan" like yourself.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: No Country For Old Men

Postby harrissimo » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:45 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:So, you mean it was like Barton Fink?
Or The Man Who Wasn't There?
Or even The Big Lebowski, Fargo or O, Brother, all of which leave some plot threads hanging?

More like the ending to Raising Arizona which I found very beautiful. Remember Hi and Ed are going to break up but that night Hi has a dream about their future and I was given the feeling of a happy resolution.

The ending to No Country for Old Men also involves a dream. I don't want to give it away. But it did not resolve it for me. I left the theatre frustrated and confused.

If I remember correctly O Brother, Fargo, and The Man Who Wasn't There did have clear resolutions to the plot. In other words, you knew what happened to the main characters. But in this film you really don't know what happened.

Overall I did like the movie but wasn't happy with the ending. I would be interested in reading your thoughts on this film after you see it. I am going to see it again because I think I missed some important things.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby erg57 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:34 pm

I thought this was the Coens' best. It is not really comparable to any of their other movies, IMuneducatedO.

I did not have a problem with the end, though I would love to have a transcript of the ending dialogue to re-examine it.

I, too, could see this again.

To me, this movie is an existentialist exam. How trite of me to write this, for sure.

Brolin and Bardem will be nominated and the movie will be too.
erg57
Forum Addict

Postby depinmad » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:54 pm

you know what happens to josh brolin

and it shows you what happens to the other characters...
it's not unresolved, it just doesn't end with a big gun battle. and it's faithful to the cormac mccarthy book, so if you've got a problem with the ending don't blame the coens.

more importantly, sundance is not set up for success. they seemed completely unable to deal with a big walk up crowd this afternoon. lots of people who arrived at the theater before showtime didn't make it into the theater til ten minutes into the movie due to poor staffing and organization at the "hospitality desk" and at the ticket taker's stand.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby erg57 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:47 pm

depinmad wrote:more importantly, sundance is not set up for success. they seemed completely unable to deal with a big walk up crowd this afternoon. lots of people who arrived at the theater before showtime didn't make it into the theater til ten minutes into the movie due to poor staffing and organization at the "hospitality desk" and at the ticket taker's stand.

I saw it at Eastgate at 10:30 this morning with about 20 others.
erg57
Forum Addict

Postby dstol62 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:53 pm

I will probably see this, but it really bugs me when reviewers label a movie an "instant classic". Although I normally avoid reviews as they almost always contain spoilers, I found about three which gave this the above tag. The Coen Brothers will undoubtedly be given iconic status in years to come, but I don't need gravy-training reviewers telling me what's good.
dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:48 am

depinmad wrote:you know what happens to josh brolin

Really? Tell me - what happened to Llewellyn Moss? And what happen to his wife. Did she live? Did she die? You really don't know.

depinmad wrote:and it shows you what happens to the other characters...

Really? Tell me - What happened to Anton Chigurh?

depinmad wrote:. . .it's faithful to the cormac mccarthy book, so if you've got a problem with the ending don't blame the coens.

I'm reading the book now. I don't have a problem with anybody. I liked the movie but the ending reminded me of the Soprano's ending.

depinmad wrote:more importantly, sundance is not set up for success. . .

I saw the movie at East Gate. I hate Sundance. I find it pretentious and sad. I like playing video games before a flick.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:22 am

It is faithful to the book while still being original as a film. And although I love the entire Coen Brothers oeuvre, it doesn't rely on great music and quirkiness to carry it. It ends the way it is supposed to end. If you can't figure out what happened to Llewellyn and his wife after meeting up with Anton Chigurh, I think you are probably one of those people who need everything in a film (or a book) spelled out for you. Probably why you didn't enjoy the Sopranos finale. I myself enjoy a little existential re-examination now and then.

Reviewers labeling this one an instant classic don't bother me a bit. Its certainly far better than most films that get nominated for awards.

The whole Sundance thing annoys me as well. I guess after Miramax, indies became the province of yuppies vs. hipsters. IMHO, indie films should be enjoyed in crumbling community arthouse cinemas, not mall multiplexes with lattes, reserved seating, and martinis. Maybe the problem is that yuppies and urban hipsters are really the same thing nowadays...
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:53 am

boston_jeff wrote: If you can't figure out what happened to Llewellyn and his wife after meeting up with Anton Chigurh, I think you are probably one of those people who need everything in a film (or a book) spelled out for you.

So tell me, what happened to them?

boston_jeff wrote:Probably why you didn't enjoy the Sopranos finale.

I never said I didn't enjoy the Sopranos finale. I said the ending reminded me of the Sopranos finale. In fact maybe the Coen brothers ripped off the Sopranos ending with the screen going black thing.

boston_jeff wrote:I myself enjoy a little existential re-examination now and then.

What does existential re-examination mean?

Does it mean that I need a serial killer to tell me that my life is without meaning?

Really when I think about it, what is the point of this story? Is the point that there is no point?

So why do we pay $7 or $8 bucks to see a flick that tells us that our existence is pathetic and meaningless? I pay the $7 or $8 to be entertained. And when I leave the theatre confused because the screen just goes black when I really want to see Anton Chigurh get one of those bolts put up his fucking ass so he knows what it feels like.

Is that too much to ask? I don't care about being true to Cormac McCarthy's novel. I want to see Anton Chigurh suffer because he is a fucking asshole. That's what I am paying my money for.
Last edited by harrissimo on Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:44 pm

Use your imagination, what do you think happened?

The sheriff's existential self-exam is the ending of the book and the movie, and it doesn't get wrapped up in a bow for sure. If you are paying your money to have Anton served its definitely not your kind of story. I was certainly "entertained" by the film, and the loose ends provoke more entertainment for me, than a simple "the bad guy gets his comeuppance." If this were a formulaic action movie, or even a high profile drama with a large budget, you can bet thats the ending we would have all seen regardless of the source material. I think this was better.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Velvet Coffin » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:03 pm

I found it helpful to remind myself that it's a movie less about actions than themes. One theme among several is, obviously, that there are implacable forces in the world and some of them are downright evil. Another-- as in Blood Meridian and The Road-- is the concept of time running on faster than some people can keep up. Javier Bardem is chaos hitting a community that was more accustomed to looking backwards than forwards. He's as unfeeling as that car crash. That's why evil can win. Thinking about these things made me appreciate the story's quiet build.

Thinking about Fargo helped, too, in terms of pacing and style.

People in the theater with me laughed at inopportune times. It freaked me out. Maybe I was clinging too hard to a sense of impending doom and therefore missed the humor; maybe they were expecting Fargo and decided to get their yucks when they wanted them. But goddamn, laughing at the end? It's sudden, but it's not fucking funny.
Velvet Coffin
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:23 am

I really loved this movie. Unfortunately, some motherfucking shithead sitting next to me at sundance decided to ruin the entire ending for me. His wife asked how the book was and he went on in GREAT LENGTH about the ending. I didn't manage to plug my ears in time to avoid hearing that nothing is resolved and the sheriff retires. If you went to the 2:25 screening on saturday afternoon, sat in Row F, and were the fuckwit who spoiled the ending not only for his wife but everyone within 15 feet for absolutely no reason, then eat shit and die, asshole.

How can anyone now know what happened to the husband and wife? The husband got gunned down because he let his guard down drinking with the swimsuit / swimming pool girl. Mexican gang members gunned him down. The only unclear thing is what happened to the money, which most likely chigurh got.

His wife refused to "call it" and so he killed her.

Really good movie, despite the absolutely clueless shittard sitting next to me who needs to die in a warehouse fire.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:04 am

Spoiler Alert:

The mother in law told the mexicans exactly where to find Moss and the money. He was too wrapped up in getting back at the psycho to even think about the other people after him. They gunned him down and took the money.

Also I'm neither a hipster or a yuppie and this was my first time at Sundance. I have to say I like the place a lot. Its comfy and clean and reasonably priced. I absolutely despise the mall it's in however.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby square » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:17 pm

come ON, the main character is tommy lee jones' character and if you didn't get THAT, then you need to re-watch the movie because you missed a lot.
square
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Movies