MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

The Mist

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

The Mist

Postby depinmad » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:08 am

one of my favorite stephen king stories, and about as good of an adaptation of his work as i have ever seen, up there with the dead zone, and the first two thirds of the shining.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:09 pm

First was The Fog.....
Then came The Mist.....
Coming this summer.......
92% CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION!!!!......
Better bring an umbrella...............
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:30 pm

I'm not sure if King was involved in the project, but it seems as he gets older and sees more of his work mangled, he becomes more interested in helping out on the screenwriting.

Also, the shorter his book, the better job they tend to do of adapting it for the screen. Sure, "The Lawnmower Man" stunk, but I'm not so sure that King actually wrote that story, at least not the one told in the movie.

"Stand By Me" and "The Shawshank Redemption" were virtually perfect. I'm surprised "The Mist" took so long to find it's way to the silver screen. Now where is "The Talisman?"
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:33 pm

when king is involved in the screenwriting, that is s surefire recipe for disaster.
he was not involved in the mist screenplay.
the talisman is not exactly short.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:42 pm

pjbogart wrote:Also, the shorter his book, the better job they tend to do of adapting it for the screen.

Really?
Like Children of the Corn?
Or The Mangler?
Or Sometimes They Come Back?
Or Maximum Overdrive?
Or Creepshow?
Or Silver Bullet?

Hmmmm... never read those short stories/novellas, but yikes what a batch of crappy movies!
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:47 pm

I don't think its unfair to think a shorter book is more easily turned into a 2 hour movie. While not a King book, I though Fight Club was a very well adapted book to movie, mostly because I could read the book in just about the time it took to watch the movie. word-for-word.

you take a 600+ page book and even if you manage to cut half out and turn in a minute a page you're still looking at a 5 hour movie. cutting it down to a 2 hour legnth means boiling down SO MUCH. I'm surprised as many adaptations are as good as they are.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:29 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
pjbogart wrote:Also, the shorter his book, the better job they tend to do of adapting it for the screen.

Really?
Like Children of the Corn?
Or The Mangler?
Or Sometimes They Come Back?
Or Maximum Overdrive?
Or Creepshow?
Or Silver Bullet?

Hmmmm... never read those short stories/novellas, but yikes what a batch of crappy movies!

Wags, I'll agree with you on most of this list.

But Creepshow? Dude - Creepshow rules.

Just consider all the classic lines:

"It's Father's Day - AND I GOT MY CAKE!!!"

"Don't forget to tell it to call you Billie!"

"We...just want...to take you... to the beach...Richard."

"A broken meteorite? Why - I wouldn't give you five cents for it!"

And, my all-time favorite:

"Bugs...because, although they're basically mindless...they can creep up on you!!!"

Plus the awesome cast:

Adrienne Barbeau?
Ted Danson?
Leslie Nielsen?
E. G. Marshall?
Hal Holbrook?

Best non-zombie movie George Romero ever made.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:39 pm

no way.

martin, and the crazies are both way better than creepshow.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:41 pm

depinmad wrote:no way.

martin, and the crazies are both way better than creepshow.

I...see the words...but they make no sense!
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:58 pm

Speaking of The Talisman(which I loved), has anyone ever read the Roger Zelazny series "The Chronicles of Amber?" The parallel universe themes in both works are so similar that I find it hard to believe King/Straub weren't influenced by this.

Another book I'm surprised hasn't made it to the big screen is "The Eyes of the Dragon." With the recent success of fantasy movies, I thought this would be a no-brainer.

Finally, although there'd be a "slight" question of legality, they should turn "The Long Walk" into a reality tv show.

Getting back to the thread, I've heard the ending of The Mist was weak(one of King's biggest shortcomings, IMO). True?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Flat_Atom » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:03 pm

Creepshow is a blast! Most definately NOT a suckfest but it's not a King movie/story, he just played the character of Jeordie Verrill.

As for the rest of em, the only truly good adaptation of Kings on screen was "Stand By Me" and maybe "Misery". Possibly "The Shining" but without the bush monsters it was a total letdown.
Flat_Atom
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:42 pm

Flat_Atom wrote:Creepshow is a blast! Most definately NOT a suckfest but it's not a King movie/story, he just played the character of Jeordie Verrill.

I hate to go all IMDB on the ass of someone who's agreeing with me, but...

Writers:
Stephen King (short stories The Crate and Weeds)
Stephen King (screenplay)

So - both a King movie and a story.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:47 pm

Shit - I see my list of cast members somehow left out Ed Harris, Fritz Weaver and Viveca Lindfors.

How could someone possessed of firmness of mind forget Viveca Lindfors?

Clearly I've gone all feeble...
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Some theoretical yack - free of charge!

Postby Marvell » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:08 pm

depinmad wrote:up there with the dead zone, and the first two thirds of the shining.

Cronenberg and Kubrick - my two favorite horror movie directors.

I think the source of most people's frustration with the film of The Shining is that it is least effective as an adaptation of the book. Taken on its own terms, it's just about the perfect Kubrick film - I just saw it again recently, and was struck again at both the staggering precision of its construction but also the astringent misanthropy at its core.

What Kubrick chose to do was to jettison all the extraneous themes that cluttered the original King text and honed in on just one - Jack Torrance as emblem of both the horror and the pathos of dysfunctional patriarchy. As it turned out, in Jack Nicholson he had an actor who was both willing and able to take that concept and run with it - to and, at times, beyond the point of parody.

The Shining - like all of Kubrick's films - is on some level a comedy, just pitched at a blackness of tone that many people can't see as 'funny.'

Personally, I prefer Full Metal Jacket - and there's no doubt that in making a horror-comedy about Vietnam, Kubrick was speaking in more traditional 'political' terms. But in making gender roles and sexual violence the touchpoints of discomfort, and locating the horror explicitly within the locus of a 'traditional' family, The Shining is probably an even more perverse and transgressive work.

Which is saying something.

"I am in a World of shit."

- Pvt. Gomer Pyle
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:18 pm

PS - re: the mist - didn't they just remake The Fog? How many creepy cloud movies does the world need?

That's money that could be spent on finally making the definitive devil-cat movie.

Whiskers of Satan?
Blood Purr?
Mittens: The Unearthing?

Help me out here...
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Movies