MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 55.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

I Am Legend

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

I Am Legend

Postby Shipley » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:03 pm

missed the friday night IMAX showing due to a sellout, but heartily enjoyed myself for Saturday.

Its not the meatiest role on film, and not quite as demanding as Castaway, but Will Smith is a likeable enough guy that I had no trouble seeing him on screen for the bulk of the picture. And maybe I'm an easy mark, but I jumped more than a couple times.

Its got enough stuff I'd want to revisit I may just give this another shot on DVD, which is a reccomendation I don't typically make for this kind of movie.

As with the best sci-fi, it makes my mind kind of run wild after its over. What would you do in the biggest city in the nation after its been abandoned?

also,
Of course, the future is no place for Pedobear.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:49 pm

but.
Have you read the book?
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:24 pm

I read the book a few years ago, had a lot of creepy stories in it.

Remember watching "Trilogy of Terror" (3 Matheson stories) on TV in the early 70's with Karen Black.

Big fan of The Omega Man.

So I was really looking forward to this. And then I watched the trailer on IMDB. Those fuckers. As soon as I saw the dog I knew it was dead already.

Fucking cheap cheap cheap. Fuckers.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: I Am Legend

Postby Maxine » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:59 pm

Shipley wrote: What would you do in the biggest city in the nation after its been abandoned?

Go "shopping" at Tiffany's, check out the narcotic aisle behind the prescription counter at Walgreen's, grill some steaks from the Tavern on the Green before they spoiled, pick up some vodka from some random abandoned liquor store and drink it, play with toys at FAO Schwartz, check out Wall Street and slowly decsend into madness.

If that is what happens in the movie, I apologize I'm not spoiling, just guessing because I haven't seen it.
Maxine
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:06 pm

blunt wrote:but.
Have you read the book?

I have not. I am sure, as always that BOOK > MOVIE, but not having read it I was free to judge the movie on its own merits instead of worrying about this or that changing. The movie also only takes 2 hours, unlike most books, which is an advantage for a busy fella like myself.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:13 pm

bluethedog wrote:So I was really looking forward to this. And then I watched the trailer on IMDB. Those fuckers. As soon as I saw the dog I knew it was dead already.

Fucking cheap cheap cheap. Fuckers.

It gets much, MUCH worse. Fairly entertaining movie, but the film's plot changes are significant and suck-tastic.
tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:30 pm

i love the omega man

chuck heston made himself some ultra shitty yet totally wonderful seventies downbeat sci fi.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:36 pm

Shipley wrote:
blunt wrote:but.
Have you read the book?

I have not. I am sure, as always that BOOK > MOVIE, but not having read it I was free to judge the movie on its own merits instead of worrying about this or that changing. The movie also only takes 2 hours, unlike most books, which is an advantage for a busy fella like myself.

The "book" is actually a "novelito." Takes a couple hours to read.
The only thing in common with the movie seems o be the title.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:53 pm

novelito! at last, something for the borderline illiterate bus riding reader like me!

If the movie is changed that much then I stand by my above comment that reading will only change your expectations, and as a fresh experience I enjoyed it quite a bit.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:23 am

I Am Legend? I Am Very Disappointed. I thought I was going to see Castaway and what I got was 28 Days Later. And the twist at the end was weak weak weak. See "Swing away Jackie" in Signs.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:56 pm

I liked this movie but I wonder what it would have been like if the Coen brothers had produced and directed it. Just think what Will Smith could have done with a fucking cattle gun!
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:44 am

Aren't cows just corporeal incarnations of our great galactic lord xenu?
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby zsa zsa » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:41 am

fisticuffs wrote:I Am Legend? I Am Very Disappointed. I thought I was going to see Castaway and what I got was 28 Days Later. And the twist at the end was weak weak weak. See "Swing away Jackie" in Signs.

I agree...the least they could have done was to make the zombies a little more zombie like and less CG, they looked stupid. I liked the idea of the movie but I thought it was poorly done.
zsa zsa
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:01 pm

So would this flick be worth purchasing on DVD?
(I haven't seen it yet)
Only reason I ask is because you can get the HDDVD/DVD Combo disc on Amazon right now for $4 cheaper than the 2-disc widescreen DVD (the HDDVD Combo disc has all the content of the 2-disc DVD).
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:05 pm

Owning? Eh. Maybe in the 3 for $20 bin at blockbuster on a night when there is nothing else you want. Rent it first maybe you'll see it as viewable more than once. I sure dont.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Movies