MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Juno

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:34 pm

They can get it, but does that mean that it makes sense that they would listen to it? And why would she wear a Slinky t-shirt? The classic indie rock and ironic pop culture t-shirt say more about the writer than they do about most 16 year-olds.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:43 pm

boston_jeff wrote:The classic indie rock and ironic pop culture t-shirt say more about the writer than they do about most 16 year-olds.

BINGO, you've got it. This is not an average 16 year old. You peek inside any high school nationwide, and you'll find maybe one or two kids like this max.

on the other hand, if you can find a writer in their 20s/30s that knows whats actually going on with 16 year olds, they're probably a pedophile.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:07 pm

Yeah, I guess I don't understand kids today. My bet is that even the "out-there" 16 year-olds wouldn't be wearing a slinky t-shirt though. They don't even know what the fuck a slinky is, and even if they did, they probably wouldn't wear an ironic t-shirt celebrating it as a 70's pop culture phenomenon. Thats the province of record store clerks my age.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby morriskatze » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:40 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Yeah, I guess I don't understand kids today. My bet is that even the "out-there" 16 year-olds wouldn't be wearing a slinky t-shirt though. They don't even know what the fuck a slinky is, and even if they did, they probably wouldn't wear an ironic t-shirt celebrating it as a 70's pop culture phenomenon. Thats the province of record store clerks my age.

I teach in a high school and I have to disagree. They will wear the shirt b/c they think it looks cool even if they *don't* know what the fuck a slinky is. Example: I complimented a kid on his shoes w/Misfits logo and asked if he liked the Misfits. Answer: "who? I just thought the shoes looked cool." If it's for sale at their favorite store (i.e. Urban Outfitters or Hot Topic) they will wear it.

And the part where she tries to introduce him to the Mott the Hoople song he danced to at prom is also typical - kids can get hold of all kinds of old music and are somehow surprised that I recognize their old Metallica or Phil Collins or whatever - cuz, you know, rock n' roll is only for young people, and punk wasn't invented by people old enough to be their grandparents. :roll:
morriskatze

Postby depinmad » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:53 pm

one of the coolest shows i ever saw in madison was kimya dawson. i had won free tickets to see the trachtenberg family players at luther's blues. got there and kimya was onstage opening for them. i thought her songs and stage presence and patter between songs was fairly mesmerizing. after about fifteen minutes the power went out, people lit a few candles, kimya sat on the edge of the stage, and sang and played acoustic guitar for another fifteen or twenty minutes. it was absolutely magical. i had never heard her before, never listened to the moldy peaches, but i was completely amazed by her performance. bought one of her cd's in the candlelight after the show, and enjoyed it quite a bit. the power never came back on that night and the trachtenbergs never played.
i was excited to see all the articles about kimya with the release of this movie.
i liked the movie a lot, and thought the kids singing her song at the end was a fairly perfect ending.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:37 pm

Best Screenplay, Best Actress, Best Director, Best Picture.

someone liked it.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby zsa zsa » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:53 pm

I thought Juno was fantastic, light hearted, entertaining...didn't have the cliche ending where she tries to make a go at raising the child herself, and does the responsible thing for once...the movie says its okay to be grown up, which honestly, most movies are about recapturing your youth...

...Maybe there were a lot of boring teens where ya'll went to high school, but I certainly knew a lot about underground music (yes, pre-internet) and the masters of gore...I guess no one I went to high school with listened to the bands I did, but that doesn't mean teens like Juno don't or didn't exist

it was something new and fresh, unlike 98% of what is released these days
zsa zsa
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulseCzar » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:31 pm

I have to agree. As much as I loved Little Miss Sunshine, I thought that Juno was far better and completely deserves all the award nods. Aside from the obvious kudos that the film has gotten I have to give a shout out to the overlooked Jason Bateman for his performance in Juno. He went from likeable and warm to creepy to distasteful...but yet not completely disdainful. Juno had so many chances to be cliche and it never went that route. Awards or not, this film deserves a viewing.
pulseCzar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PureVegieDude » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:34 am

Yeah it was awright and had it's moments but here's what bugged me:
It makes it seem like teen pregnancy was hip, cool and the in thing to do.
And if Juno was so witty and smart then how come she was stupid enough to get preggos? She ignored the sex-ed class and they make fun of the comdom thing.
PureVegieDude

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:57 am

Really liked it. Good all around film. As predicted, some of the cutesy dialogue annoyed the crap out of me (no one talks this way), and her musical tastes would've made more sense if the film was set during Diablo Cody's HS era, but thats why its a movie. About halfway through, it really started to take off, and I began to just enjoy it. Definitely worthy.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:13 pm

I agree with what Zsa said, and it was 1000 times better than Sunshine. The music, I liked it, and won't try to overanalayze--it's really not about the music. Shooting kids out of t-shirt cannons tore me up.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:00 pm

A John Hughes meets Wes Anderson meets Ghost World vibe. The father reminded me of Keiths's father in "Some Kind of Wonderful" as Juno reminded me of the Mary Stuart Masterson character in same move.

A lot of cringe-worthy dialogue.

Nice work by Jennifer Garner

Jason Bateman wins the Jason/Justine minimal fame marathon.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Juno

Postby ShaneDog » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:06 pm

TAsunder wrote:Anyone else like this film a lot? I saw it this weekend and thought it was funnier than any other film this year by a significant margin. It's one of those sugary sweet type films, but unlike Little Miss Sunshine, it's actually as good as its critical praise. Whereas Little Miss Sunshine seemed to rely on "it's funny because it's weird!" humor, Juno has sharp dialogue and a tone to it that earns the jokes.
I thought it was great. One of the better movies I have seen this winter.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:29 am

Haven't seen it, but I don't think I'll ever be able to objectively view other roles by Ellen Page after Hard Candy.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:20 pm

:arrow:
Last edited by MadMind on Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Movies