MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, January 25, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 18.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Cloverfield

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Cloverfield

Postby Shipley » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:48 pm

I know the web hype for this flick has been downright obnoxious. I'll still see it. Giant monster, JJ, and Star Trek trailer. they've stolen my heart.

But I'll have to see it at Star. Marcus isn't carrying the movie due to Paramount demanding too much from the ticket sales in first week (haven't heard the actual amount, but it may even be 100%), leaving them to live on concessions. Apparently, Sweeny Todd also didn't run on marcus screens for this same reason.

I'd love to help Marcus stick it to Paramount for these kinds of demands, but Star is only a mile away from where I live so its where I'd see Cloverfield anyway. I won't buy any food and go to a matinee though.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:25 am

Movie theaters already make a vast majority of their money from concessions. Even at 100% they are going to make money on the movie.

Shaky cam haters beware... this movie is shown from the perspective of handheld camcorders and cell phones ala Blair Witch. It's probably not as nauseating as the bourne ultimatum unless it too has an average shot length of 1 second, but still worth noting for those pussified people who can't handle it.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:21 am

TAsunder wrote:Movie theaters already make a vast majority of their money from concessions. Even at 100% they are going to make money on the movie.

This much is well known, but you've always got souls like myself who eat before the movie or sneak a box of junior mints from Walgreens in my winter coat. The theater is now losing money by paying a cashier, a ticket taker, ushers, and clean-up to service the movie I'm seeing. they may only keep 2% of the door, thats enough to offset the cost for the non-large soda/popcorn consuming moviegoers like myself.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:25 am

Those clean-up people are going to have to be paid extra for cleaning up all the vomit this movie's going to cause.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:15 am

TAsunder wrote:Those clean-up people are going to have to be paid extra for cleaning up all the vomit this movie's going to cause.

I'm normally not affected by motion, but I got a little queasy during some of the running sequences. Nothing a good deep breath didn't cure, but still.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:55 pm

I liked it enough to photochop it.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:51 am

I LOVED this! I did not partake of all the pre-hype stuff and really knew little about it other than brief reviews I read on Friday, so wasn't really expecting much. (I had some trepidation about the video camera thing, as I did NOT enjoy "The Blair Witch Project" at all, found it very annoying.)
This, however, WORKED and worked amazingly well.

I said afterwards that using the camera in the way it was used definitely contributed to your absolute involvement in the action. Once you have seen this film, you absolutely know what it must be like to be in the midst of pure, unadulterated panic and horror.

I really suggest this to anyone who enjoys having his/her adrenaline racing through their body at 100 mph for an hour and a half. That's what it did to me.
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:42 am

The theatre I saw it at was mostly full. At the end there was a stunned silence...as everyone realized how stupid this thing was. I was actually angry coming out of this one. Worst film of the past couple of years.
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby LoopBo » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:33 pm

Wait...so what is it? Good or bad? That's all I want to know. If it's bad I won't go. If it's good, I will wait until it hits Netflix and maybe keep it at the bottom of my cue; and at some point it may make it to the top...unless The Flim Flam Man finally gets the Criterion treatment.
LoopBo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:07 pm

As stated above, my partner and I were both riveted throughout and both agreed that the use of the camcorder was very effective in relaying the total panic and terror in a very immediate fashion.
I could easily see it again.

But, then again, look at uwstudent's review. Not sure what he was expecting out of this, but it obviously did not meet his criteria.

K. Williams, in today's Isthmus, however, gave it a pretty hearty approval.
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies