MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Sundance movie selection mainstream

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Sundance movie selection mainstream

Postby hecky » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:27 pm

Why is this cinema, supposed to support indie film, currently showing There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men, Atonement and Michael Clayton, high-profile Oscar nominees all, and all of which can also be viewed at a Marcus Cinema or Star...???
hecky
Forum Addict

Re: Sundance movie selection mainstream

Postby spanky » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:42 pm

hecky wrote:Why is this cinema, supposed to support indie film, currently showing There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men, Atonement and Michael Clayton, high-profile Oscar nominees all, and all of which can also be viewed at a Marcus Cinema or Star...???

I believe they are true to their mission statement:

Sundance Cinema Mission Statement

To provide a quality motion picture theatre experience by presenting art, independent and world cinema to a discerning audience using the latest technologies. To challenge ourselves to balance the triangle of Art, Commerce and Environment in all efforts both on screen and throughout our facilities. To create an atmosphere conducive to enhancing moviegoer’s enjoyment, while showcasing emerging talent on a daily basis and being good neighbors in the communities where we reside.

Plus you forgot:
[url=http://www.thedailypage.com/movies/article.php?article=19772]this movie
[/url]in their current line-up, and this one as well.
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hecky » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:09 pm

Oh I see. Thanks for clearing that up.
hecky
Forum Addict

Postby Velvet Coffin » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:16 pm

I was duly annoyed that Madison got There Will be Blood, a 2007 movie, a mere five days before Oscar nominations were announced in 2008. By the time it flounced into our cinema it was a tarnished tart, having already serviced the Golden Globes (with happy ending). We're the flagship city for the Sundance cinema line, aren't we? Why the hell couldn't we get an important movie in a timely fashion?

I love Sundance so much. I just want it to love me back.
Velvet Coffin
Forum Addict

Postby lordofthecockrings » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:19 pm

Velvet Coffin wrote:We're the flagship city for the Sundance cinema line, aren't we? Why the hell couldn't we get an important movie in a timely fashion?

Becasue flagship or no, we're still just a tiny market in a podunk state. That's the way the world works, VC -- better get used to it.
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Daniel » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:36 pm

Well they did get both movies a few weeks before the other theaters. However yeah, still see your point. Then again if you're a theater looking to make money, might as well go where you're getting the most money, movies like that.
Daniel

Return to Movies