MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Romance Directed By Young, Hip Women

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Romance Directed By Young, Hip Women

Postby MadMind » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:53 pm

I've found that I really dislike the angle presented in romance films directed by relatively young, "hip" females.

I just watched Broken English starring Parker Posey. While age appropriate, she falls for a guy who happens to be a frenchmen, and *spoiler below*;
You are led to believe she stays in France to be with him.

Lost In Translation. Girl dates man old enough (and then some) to be her father - in Tokyo.

What is with women, older men, and foreign places? :roll: Chicks :roll:

I'm surprised Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was directed by a male (albeit not American). It's no wonder that soo many women like that movie - it gives them license to be fucking scatterbrained basketcases/emotional wrecks, shit on a guy, and have the luxury of being granted another chance. Jim Carey's character deserved much better...
Last edited by MadMind on Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:27 pm

First of all, it's "case in point" not "case and point."

So you cite two movies that you disliked, both of which happen to be directed by women. But you don't really make any assertions about why you don't like their perspectives, just that you don't. And so, you lump these two as being representative of movies by "hip, relatively young women" and therefore this genre (of two films!) is bad. And then you go on to be ambivalent but sort of negative about another movie, which was directed by a man--oh yeah he's foreign so he fits into your "argument" even though the screenwriter is an American--and then suddenly your post is over, sans evidence or really even logic.

Now, I kind of liked Lost in Translation. It wasn't the best movie I saw that year but I had fun watching it. I don't recall Charlotte and Bob actually dating in that movie. I mean, they spend time together, hang out etc. but they don't fuck or anything. I suppose that could be considered dating. But the perspective seems very real to me--two people who are at odds with the world around them find solace in each other. Bob knows he can't date her as it would really fuck her up (and him as well) but they are good company anyway. And Charlotte wants to date him but really can't in the circumstances. When Bob sleeps with the lounge singer, Charlotte gets really angry but it's a reality check for her and that if something happened it would be a disaster/one (or few) night stand and he'd go back to the states to be with his wife and she'd be stuck in the loneliness of her relationship. I found that story to be interesting as well as believable. Plus Bill Murray is funny and Scarlett Johansson is a good actress and freakin' gorgeous.

I've not seen the Parker Posey movie, but this perspective you have seems a bit thin. I'm interested in your "argument" and ask for more substance besides "chicks" and a eye rolling icon.
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:34 pm

I think MadMind's account has been hijacked. There's been, frankly, a startling amount of doofosity being posted under that name lately.

Anyway,

French Kiss: Lawrence Kasdan
Before Sunrise: Richard Linklater
Reds: Warren Beatty
Out of Africa: Sydney Pollack

Don't make me go on. MM, this is a nonstarter.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Romance Directed By Young, Hip Women

Postby supaunknown » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:34 pm

MadMind wrote:I've found that I really dislike the angle presented in romance films directed by relatively young, "hip" females.

Yet you watch those movies anyways even though you're clearly not the target audience.

MadMind wrote:Case and point. Lost In Translation. Girl dates man old enough (and then some) to be her father - in Tokyo.

This movie I like more and more with repeated viewings. The acting, the art direction, the tone, are beautiful. The characters both know that there's no future together yet they can't resist falling deeply in love.

MadMind wrote:I just watched Broken English starring Parker Posey. While age appropriate, she falls for a guy who happens to be a frenchmen, and *spoiler below*;
You are led to believe she stays in France to be with him.

What is with women, older men, and foreign places? :roll: Chicks :roll:

Haven't seen it yet. Eh, Frenchmen, what can ya do?

MadMind wrote:I'm surprised Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was directed by a male (albeit not American). It's no wonder that soo many women like that movie, it gives them license to be fucking scatterbrained basketcases, shit on the guy, and still be granted another chance. Jim Carrey deserved much better...

Jim Carrey doesn't deserve shit. His batting average is pretty fuckin' low in my opinion. That movie is an unwatchable borefest. So self-indulgent and bloated. Tries to be deep but ends up putting style way ahead of substance. Yuck. What a pretentious stinkbomb. I can't believe Schabow likes it.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:56 pm

meowzamusic wrote:and Scarlett Johansson is a good actress.

:shock: :roll: Case in point.

TheBookPolice wrote:I think MadMind's account has been hijacked. There's been, frankly, a startling amount of doofosity being posted under that name lately.

Awww c'mon, like what? Cut me some slack, I'm not as sharp as I used to be. I'm getting slow in my old age.
And speaking of doofisity, my complaint is with romantic films directed by women, and you go on to list films directed by men as if to end my arguement?

supaunknown wrote:
MadMind wrote:I'm surprised Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was directed by a male (albeit not American). It's no wonder that soo many women like that movie, it gives them license to be fucking scatterbrained basketcases, shit on the guy, and still be granted another chance. Jim Carrey deserved much better...

Jim Carrey doesn't deserve shit. His batting average is pretty fuckin' low in my opinion. That movie is an unwatchable borefest. So self-indulgent and bloated. Tries to be deep but ends up putting style way ahead of substance. Yuck. What a pretentious stinkbomb. I can't believe Schabow likes it.

Just to clarify, I meant Jim Carey's character.
But I take my criticism back and replace it with supa's. He's right. Who cares.

About Lost In Translation. Overall I liked the film, dug the soundtrack, scenery, stranger in a strange place vibe and all that jazz.
And you're right, they didn't fuck, but Scarlett no-talent big-boobs Johannsen would've given it up.
Last edited by MadMind on Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:15 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I think MadMind's account has been hijacked. There's been, frankly, a startling amount of doofosity being posted under that name lately.

I think maybe you weren't around when MadMind first started out here. The way I remember it is some version of "I really wanna score some hot tail. Why wont' chicks talk to me? I look at their boobs all the time, why won't they go home with me? Where are the good chicks in this town?!" Obviously I'm paraphrasing...

PS. I feel like I'm the only chick in the world who didn't like Eternal Sunshine. I also thought it was boring and a downer.
auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies