MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Speaking of Sequels

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Speaking of Sequels

Postby crevice beatle » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:23 pm

the expectancy of a 4th indiana jones got me thinking-

ok, what movies would you like to see a sequel to???

has anyone seen or heard anything about this?

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/148034 ... lines=true
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:25 pm

Big Trouble in Little China
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:28 pm

Marvell wrote:Big Trouble in Little China

Directed by Quenten Taratino and/or Robert Rodriguez
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:28 pm

Dr. Strangelove
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:31 pm

I would've loved to see the entire Hitchhiker Guide TO The Galaxy series, but the first movie wasn't quite good enough to make 4 more. In theory, I still think this should be done at some point. or at least a new TV miniseries.

In general I think sequels work best when you have a hero who will go on for more adventures. if you tell a story that has a definitive end, then make more, it feels tacked on. Indiana Jones rode off into the sunset, and this new movie ruins the great send off he already had.

X-MEN can and should go on for ever. I'd even be game for SPider-Man continuing with a new director/actor. And while Transformers had its share of detractors, I'd be game for watching a new one every 2 years until I die.

Basically any comic hero movie I'd see a sequel too. Especially the ones that didn't quite get it right, so they've got a chance to redeem themselves.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:40 pm

Hmmmm...
I guess I don't see a difference between Indiana Jones and a comic book character, Shipley.

What's the distinction in your mind?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:47 pm

Shipley wrote:Basically any comic hero movie I'd see a sequel too. Especially the ones that didn't quite get it right, so they've got a chance to redeem themselves.

How 'bout a whole-cloth reimagining of Spawn?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:53 pm

Titanic...no, wait...
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:16 pm

TAsunder wrote:Dr. Strangelove

The sequel is A Boy and His Dog.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rex Holmes » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:37 pm

The Bride of Frankenstein

In all of moviedom, can you think of a more enduring, recognized character who only had about 7 minutes screen time? Hey, if Frankie can come back to life every film, why not the Mrs?
Rex Holmes

Postby Shipley » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:56 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Hmmmm...
I guess I don't see a difference between Indiana Jones and a comic book character, Shipley.

What's the distinction in your mind?

Indiana Jones is a great anthology character and not unlike a lot of comic character or James Bond in my opinion.

However, they very clearly closed the book on his story with Last Crusade. He stopped the Nazis again, literally found the Holy Grail, re-united with his father and his friends from Raiders, and to top it all off they told us where he got his name right before he rode off into the sunset. Thats an ending! There is no Batman retires story, theres no final James Bond mission. There is a final Indiana Jones. The new one only gets a pass from me if they find the Ark in that warehouse.

I think more of these franchises should be treated like Bond. Do a few with one actor, then cycle out the cast for more adventures. Don't age him, don't let him fall into a time period, keep him young and fighting. Spiderman should be in his early 20s forever. Indiana Jones is now OLD and this story will likely revolve around him being OLD.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:01 pm

Shipley wrote:Indiana Jones is now OLD and this story will likely revolve around him being OLD.

Fair critique, but don't forget that one of the most heralded and acclaimed comic book story was Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns.

Aging, and thus weakening, a superhero makes him more accessible to the reader. There's something to be said for that.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:29 pm

Miller's Dark Knight isn't canon. Its a self contained adventure. A year or two ago there was a "Batman Year 100" mini that explored an extremely olde Batsy hobbling around.
The best old Batman has to be Batman Beyond where Bruce suffers a permanent limp after a last fight with the Joker and plays the Alfred role to a younger Batman. He gets more humbled as the series goes on and... well I'd reccomend checking the show out sometime and the companion "Return Of The Joker" movie, as well as the Justice League episodes he appeared in. Its heads and shoulders above the Burton Batman movies.

Still, we're talking cartoons and comics, which can reinvent and never have to rely on huge budgets and living people to bring the stories to live. Blasphemous, but I'd sooner have a younger actor play Indy and continue adventures that capture the spirit of the franchise without having to write around the fact that Harrison Ford has no business swinging around anywhere with that whip when he's older than my dad who needs to sit down after going up the stairs. He's older than Sylvester Stallone, who audience thought was crazy to do another Rocky.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:05 pm

Shipley wrote: He's older than Sylvester Stallone, who audience thought was crazy to do another Rocky.
Yeah audiences thought it was crazy to the tune of $155,363,331 or so!
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:27 am

well theres the catch: Rocky Balboa was actually good. The movie was about him being too old to go back into boxing and (spoilers!) He didn't win!

Indy will not be defeated. He'll have to ride off into the sunset... again.

I'm reminded again of the 2nd season of Justice League Unlimted, which was to be the end of the DC animated universe. the whole season built up to a head with a final confrontation between the league and Luthor/Brainiac. Then they got picked up for another year, and had to improvise 13 more episodes with Gorilla Grodd as the big bad and pulling a switcheroo at the end with Darkseid. It was still good, even by JL standards... but damn, they already had the fight that defined 15 years of Batman/superman/League animation.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Movies