MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Speaking of Sequels

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Postby crevice beatle » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:16 am

Shipley wrote:Indy will not be defeated. He'll have to ride off into the sunset... again.

yes, but what if???

wouldn't that be freakin sweet if Spielberg did something risky like have indy die in the end.
maybe by getting rolled over by a large boulder like he out ran in the first movie... while tossing an artifact to his apprentice (a handing of the torch sort to speak).

ok, this idea is stupid, i know.

but seeing as how the ride off in the sunset has already been done... wouldn't a film ending in death be ideal, after one last successful adventure?
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:53 am

while poetic to film fans like myself who love ballsy moves like killing the hero in unsymapathetic and unheroic ways... well audiences in general will hate it and the film will join Phantom Menace making an absolute ton of money, but cursed as ruining what was a perfectly good trilogy.

THats the vibe I get off this Indy. Not Rocky, Phantom Menace.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:14 pm

Both the indy sequels were kind of silly.

Also, both the Rocky sequels were pretty silly.

Not sure where you are going with this...
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:35 pm

christopher_robin wrote:Both the indy sequels were kind of silly.

Also, both the Rocky sequels were pretty silly.

Not sure where you are going with this...

if by saying "kind of", mean sort of - and by saying "pretty" you mean "very" - than i am with you.

otherwise, i don't think the rocky sequels are in the same class as the indy sequals.

i thought indy 2 was a bit ridiculous and over the top as were many parts of the 3rd one - but in the end it is still an action/adventure film that has some fantasy leanings.
What is rocky's excuse? those sequels always seemed to be taking themselves more serious than could even be remotley believable.
to be honest, i'm a big fan of rocky III and rocky IV but merely for their kitsch value.
i mean rocky III : Mr. T playing a bad guy, feather earings and all-hulk holgan in the beginning- classic
rocky IV : sheez, stallone single handedly ended the cold war with his speach after his victory over dolph lungren - and the pre-fight work out montage- can't beat it!
i suppose what i am saying is that both film sequels have a fair amount of cheese, but for the rocky movies all of the cheese was unintentional.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:04 pm

Rocky IV is the perfect film for the Reagan Era. I will not have anyone say anything bad about it. And the Vince DiCola synth score kicks all kinds of ass.

Also: Paulie's Robot.

Silly doesn't mean "suck"
All three original trilogy Star Wars moments had some silly parts.
it wasn't until Phantom Menace that it actually sucked.

Crystal Skull is a ridiculous title for a much anticipated return of a George Lucas character that is using family ties to bridge the generation gap. The trailer was incredible fun and everyone is ready to jump right back into the classic world we've enjoyed only on TV and video for the past 2 decades.

The above paragraph also perfectly describes the first Star Wars prequel. Fool me once shame on you.... fool me... won't get fooled again.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:13 pm

Shipley wrote:Crystal Skull is a ridiculous title for a much anticipated return of a George Lucas character that is using family ties to bridge the generation gap.

I have no idea what you mean by this.

But what I think is ridiculous is the idiotic need to include "Indiana Jones" in the titles of all the sequels, as if it's possible that moviegoers would be unaware about what they were about to see.

Lucas didn't feel the need to do that with the Star Wars sequels/prequels, so why do it here? James Bond managed to sell plenty of tickets without his name appearing in the titles of any of his movies. So what's the deal? Especially since Raiders of the Lost Ark is one of my all-time favorite movie titles. It's dashing, mysterious, and rolls off the tongue grandly.

Here are better titles for all the Indy films:
The Temple of Doom
The Last Crusade
The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

What's wrong with that last title, exactly?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:29 pm

Shipley wrote:
Also: Paulie's Robot.

Shipley, you're killin' me - i don't know how i forgot to mention it.

in addition,let's not forget the james brown "living in america" performance.

i also like the part in III where an inebriated paulie smashes the Rocky pinball machine in a jealous rage.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby crevice beatle » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:33 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Shipley wrote:Crystal Skull is a ridiculous title for a much anticipated return of a George Lucas character that is using family ties to bridge the generation gap.

I have no idea what you mean by this.

neither do i, please elaborate.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby zsa zsa » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:26 am

this has nothing to do with the thread but I just love the name crevice beatle.
zsa zsa
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:35 am

zsa zsa wrote:this has nothing to do with the thread but I just love the name crevice beatle.

hey thanks, it is derived from collecting insects at a young age...not knowing the name of one in particular and then calling it a "crevice beatle" because we captured in a small rock crevice.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Star Wars

Postby rokker » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:50 am

Shipley wrote:
Silly doesn't mean "suck"
All three original trilogy Star Wars moments had some silly parts.
it wasn't until Phantom Menace that it actually sucked.

The above paragraph also perfectly describes the first Star Wars prequel. Fool me once shame on you.... fool me... won't get fooled again.

the movie that i would like to see made would be a PREQUEL OF A PREQUEL.

sounds crazy, but DARTH MAUL: SHADOW HUNTER would make a fantastic movie. suspense never stops and reading this book, i was on the edge of my chair until the very end, and then some.

DMSH clues in to the "bigger picture" of the entire deception of the Star Wars Episodes 1-6 movies. There are other books before DMSH (Cloak of Deception and Darth Maul: Sabateur) that really set EVERYTHING up, but that is for another movie and discussion... long live Captain Cole!

DMSH goes back and forth between Darth Maul's vantage point and that of the group he's hunting down; a Padawan, an opportunist and his partner droid who have vital information if they can just get back to the Jedi temple alive. the book literally end's in palpatine's hand as the blockade of Naboo begins, the very start of Episode I.

Another SW book that would make a killer movie would be Shadows of the Empire in which Darth Vader is trying to find Luke alive before the Dark Prince Xisor can find him dead. this one leads right into Return of the Jedi and it explains how Leia ends up in the bounty hunter suit when she rescues Han Solo.... not to mention the steamy scene between Xisor, a reptillian womanizer and the helpless Leia.

----

Phantom is a "necessary" part of the story as it's the intro for Anakin, but Phantom isn't the "best" story.

but if you read the books, you can get a better understading of the "silliness" of some of Lucas' characters. there is always a reason behind their silliness. R2D2 is actually the best example, and "it's" in every movie.
rokker
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:39 pm

Ferris Bueller's Prostate Surgery
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:26 pm

Just an excuse for another Day Off
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:37 pm

I thought that Shadows of the Empire was rather overhyped. Some of the other books/novels are better. Personally I would like to see some KOTOR films, no R2D2 shenanigans and stuff. Go waaaay back in time before the films with some weirdass spaceships and sith and jedi battling it out.
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:35 pm

I don't think I should have to read a dozen books to understand a story thats told in only a half dozen movies.

Expanded Universe is only awesome to Star Wars fans. When Lucas destroyed the brand with bad movies, I ceased to be a fan. You're lucky you've got such dedication from authors and Lucasarts, because its the only thing keeping this franchise alive.

I would've preferred a McG directed Star Wars remake with some slob from Dawson's Creek as Luke to what ended up in the prequels.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Movies