MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

2008 Oscar Predictions

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

2008 Oscar Predictions

Postby crevice beatle » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:00 am

Actor in a leading role - Daniel Day Lewis, There Will Be Blood.

Actor in a supporting role - Javier Bardem, No Country For Old Men

Actress in a leading role - Ellen Page, Juno (this is my longshot pick)

Actress in a supporting role - Cate Blanchett, I'm Not There

Animated feature film - this one is tricky... i can't see the acadamy majority voting in Persepolis, Ratatouille seems like the likely winner. On the other hand, Persepolis was recently released and is fresh in everyone's mind; Ratatouille is practically a relic in oscar terms.

Directing - No Country For Old Men

Documentary Feature - No End In Site

Music (score) - Atonement

Music (song) - Once

Writing (adaptive screenplay) - No Country For Old Men

Writing (original screenplay) - Juno

Best Picture - No Country For Old Men

i must admit, i have only seen a sliver of this year's nominees; my predictions are based on what i have seen and individual hype surrounding the films i have not---i have left out some of the other categories due to my unfamiliarity.
another prediction, one i did not formulate myself but wish i had: the ratio of writer's strike jokes to ordinary jokes by jon stewart will be 4:1 .

you can check out the nominees here:
http://www.oscar.com/nominees/
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:54 am

My Oscar prediction:

A bunch of skanky, stick-thin women will show up for the ceremony wearing ludicrous, garish clothing.

We will then be told how incredibly hot they are.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:27 pm

My Oscar prediction: I won't be watching. Take it to the bank.

The Oscars are to movies what the Pro Bowl is to the NFL.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:47 pm

buckyor wrote:My Oscar prediction: I won't be watching. Take it to the bank.

The Oscars are to movies what the Pro Bowl is to the NFL.

then what does that make the golden globes?

yes, i realize, the oscars are easy to bash for a reason but i definatley do not agree with your pro bowl analogy.

no one cares who wins the pro bowl -

yes, the oscars are scrutinized by critical thinkers for good reason- but they still provide a decent representation of the better movies of the year - despite the argument the acadamy tends to look over more risque films.

while many film lovers do care on some level about the oscars...and will be watching the broadcast - i question what percentage of pro football lovers could tell you who won the pro bowl ten years ago, much less watch the game every year.
i do also recognize that the focus on who's wearing what and who showed with who garbage is tiresome-
and i am not appalled by the idea of a film geak boycotting the broadcast altogether....
but i believe the "pro bowl to the NFL is what the oscars are movies" is way off mark.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby Paco » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:22 pm

Juno is the only movie I saw, so it will sweep.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:12 am

Was glad to see Marion Cotillard win...hers was the best performance of the year, male or female, in my opinion. I didn't think she would, so was surprised.

(BTW, Marvell...are you heavy-set? I ask because it seems as if most of the people who put down thin people are a bit on the tubby side. No offense.)
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:48 am

In answer to your question, Aaron - yes, I've got a little bit of chunk going.

So the hideously unhealthy paradigm of female beauty being pimped by the entertainment industry is really just my own self-esteem problem?

Good to know.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:15 am

I dunno, M. I think the critique of the Oscars as Skinny-palooza is a little underfunded, intellectually.

I would not call Catherine Zeta-Jones unhealthy. Nor Helen Mirren (still gettin' it done), nor the radiantly pregnant (and not with the malnourished silhouette of of a Sudanese boy) Cate Blanchett, Jessica Alba and Nicole Kidman.

If you criticize the Oscars for some slender (and some very skinny) participants, what's your opinion of the Olympics?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:09 am

TheBookPolice wrote:If you criticize the Oscars for some slender (and some very skinny) participants, what's your opinion of the Olympics?

It's a fucking sausage fest, homes.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:50 am

Marion Cotillard and Tilda Swinton were genuine surprises and well deserved. Ruby Dee's performance in "American Gangster" was nothing special, and Julie Christie was very good in "Away From Her," but I thought both were given Golden Globes for their body of work rather than the individual performance. The win for "Once" in best song was right on.

Aside from weirdly selective nominations in the foreign film category, I think the voters did a pretty good job. Many presumptive favorites won, but none were undeserved. Often, the biggest celebrity nominees win in the actor/actress categories because they put on a great performance in an excellent film. However, in many cases, they did not put on the best performance that year amongst all actors or actresses and are voted in because of their celebrity cachet. That did not seem to be the case this year.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:18 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:If you criticize the Oscars for some slender (and some very skinny) participants, what's your opinion of the Olympics?

Lame comparison.

There's skinny for function (say, athletic performance) and skinny for form (say, looking hot in that Proenza Schouler). Two different animals, IMO.

And there's lean skinny and fat skinny. Skinny for function tends to lean (and usually, though not always, healthier); skinny for form is more likely to be fat. Again, two different things entirely.

I didn't see any scarily skinny women at the Oscars, though it looked as though Cotillard may've dropped a P or two since her last dress fitting. Great dress, anyway.

Fashion Week, on the other hand, had plenty of scary-skinnies, if the collection pics I've seen are representative.

aaron wrote:...it seems as if most of the people who put down thin people are a bit on the tubby side.

Welcome back, svetlana_banana!

Historical note: the MST3K guys were inveterate skinny-bashers, and they weren't chunky. Well, I guess Brain Guy/Crow was, but not the rest.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sideshow Bob » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:23 pm

Ducatista wrote:
Historical note: the MST3K guys were inveterate skinny-bashers, and they weren't chunky. Well, I guess Brain Guy/Crow was, but not the rest.

Ummm...Crow was an upsidedown hockey mask...Gypsy was the real cow on the show.
Sideshow Bob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:23 pm

Ducatista wrote:

Lame comparison.

I don't think so.

If you think young girls see Hollywood actresses and think "I can be popular and rich if I look like that," why wouldn't they also think "I could be good at gymnastics/soccer/_____ if I just barf up another 10 pounds"?

Both positions are equally insulting to the intelligence of young girls in America. Not saying it doesn't happen, but there's no way to defend saying that it happens in one instance and not in the other.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:25 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I would not call Catherine Zeta-Jones unhealthy. Nor Helen Mirren (still gettin' it done), nor the radiantly pregnant (and not with the malnourished silhouette of of a Sudanese boy) Cate Blanchett, Jessica Alba and Nicole Kidman.
You had me until that last one.
Nicole Kidman is positively skeletal.
Didn't you see Eyes Wide Shut?
Yucky.
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:30 pm

BP, I'm sure you're being funny, but the 3 you mentioned are all knocked up. Don't forget the cam adds 5 pounds, and it really does.

I suffered thru the red carpet walk. Notice how all the women were interviewed alone(one poor woman had to get her mom out of the shot), but all the guys came up and were interviewed with their wives/gf's?

I thought it was more than tacky cutting off that little Czech woman from speaking (best song). Meanwhile John Stewart yammers on after everything. Priorities peoples....
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Movies