MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Kudos to Meg Hamel!

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Kudos to Meg Hamel!

Postby Das Binky » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:22 am

Looks like the festival was a big success. I know I had a blast, though I need some recuperation time now. 8)

Everyone had their own highlights; my favorite film ended up being Pageant. But even with a crazy schedule, I saw, what like 6% of the movies?

Anyway, Meg did a great job putting the festival together. Big thumbs up.

Other folks' highlights?
Das Binky

Postby Schabow » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:47 am

Stuck and California Dreamin' were my two favorite movies.

Garbage Warrior came in at a close 3rd.

I actually thought there were much more technical difficulties than in the past, but all in all, the festival was, once again, a big success. Yup, great job Meg!
Schabow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby EastSideTom » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:03 am

Meg did a great job again this year. I've been attending since Year One and this event has become one of my favorite events of the year. My faves were Mad City Chickens and Bon Cop, Bad Cop.

I, too, thought there were a few technical glitches I hadn't noticed in the past.....a couple of films started out of focus, though the problem was quickly corrected, unlike at the Octoplex from Hell where such things can go on for a very long time.

Here's to the next ten years, and ten more after that.

Hey Meg, sleep in tomorrow...you deserve it!
EastSideTom
Forum Addict

Postby depinmad » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:14 am

the sound problems i experienced at several of the films i saw were NEVER fixed, despite an overabundance of festival staff in attendance.
it was a shame, really.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:25 pm

I love Meg. She brought My Winnipeg right to me so I didn't have to go to Chicago to see it. My Winnipeg, Mongol, and Stuck all got 5s from me, although I'm only recommending Mongol to my friends (I know from past experience not to recommend Guy Maddin movies no matter how good they are).

There were some projection problems with some of the films. Yella had initial sound problems that were fixed, but suffered from being slightly out of focus the entire movie. Mongol lost some of the subtitles that were farther down on the bottom of the screen. I'm not sure what happened as the film seemed correctly framed otherwise. My theory is that the film was slightly bigger than the screen, and that's why we were losing some subtitles off the bottom but the top of the film looked correct. Overall though I thought the projectionists did a great job, and were actually trying to project the film correctly unlike several other theaters I could mention.

Really, the only complaint I have is that after seeing 12 very good movies, I still didn't see all the films I wanted to see. I'd love to see the festival stretched out over a whole week or two weekends. My only other complaint is that I'm very tired and sore from sitting in theaters all weekend, but it was definitely worth it.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby rrnate » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:50 pm

She was at almost every movie I saw and I saw something like 11 films. (At the last one I saw on Sunday night she had a very, very hard time tearing my movie ticket.)

It's pretty impressive how she made it around to so many films.

I think the highlight for me may have been "Stuck" with the Q/A with Stuart Gordon afterwards, though other big & awesome moments included "The Linguists", "Thunder & Lightning" and "Man Of The Century". This was probably the most consistent year for me in terms of awesome movies seen. I was also really excited that there were awesome "midnight movie" options on both Friday and Saturday at the Orpheum - Madison is generally shy of such things and the fact that Meg has really pushed for that sort of viewing is pretty rad.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies