MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Sundance Showing Mainstream Movies

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Sundance Showing Mainstream Movies

Postby Bigredhunk » Sat May 31, 2008 3:37 pm

They're showing "Indiana Jones," "Sex & The City," & "Iron Man."

Isn't the purpose of an indie theater to show indie movies? Why show movies you can see all over town??
Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat May 31, 2008 3:57 pm

I assume it's purely an economic necessity. The bucks from well attended mainstream flicks help support the theater so that the not-so-well-attended indy movies can be shown. Kinda like UW sports. Football. men's hockey and men's b-ball support the rest of the program.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Sat May 31, 2008 4:34 pm

I'll let them have that, but would it kill them to correct the spelling of "Indian" Jones in their ad here on TDP?
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DedeTate » Sat May 31, 2008 6:16 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I assume it's purely an economic necessity.

On four out of six screens, though? (Sex and the City is showing on two). Isn't this basically saying that because of economic necessity, the independent movie theater can't show independent movies?

[I'm bitter, because I'm waiting for Surfwise].
DedeTate
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat May 31, 2008 7:19 pm

DedeTate wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:I assume it's purely an economic necessity.

On four out of six screens, though? (Sex and the City is showing on two). Isn't this basically saying that because of economic necessity, the independent movie theater can't show independent movies?

[I'm bitter, because I'm waiting for Surfwise].

It's summertime and different movies sell. Plus many of the UW community are out of town.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Sat May 31, 2008 11:08 pm

mrak wrote:I'll let them have that, but would it kill them to correct the spelling of "Indian" Jones in their ad here on TDP?

Sure it ain't some hip Bollywood version of Indiana Jones?
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:00 pm

It's annoying. I'm waiting for the new Errol Morris movie myself. In protest I went and saw The Fall on Friday. It was fairly well-attended for a movie with so little press, and turned out to be really, incredibly good. Go see it while you can as it is worth it on the big screen. Maybe if more people went and saw the little indie movies they're still showing it will encourage them to dump the mainstream crap and show more indie films. Unfortunately, Sex and the City did a ton of business for them on Friday. I think it was because they are one of the few theatres that allow alcohol so they had all the movie themed martinis.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby depinmad » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:08 pm

the dopey thing is, sundance would be my third choice to see a mainstream summer blockbuster, after star, and point. the sound at sundance is fine for a drama like old country for old men, but was lacking when i saw beowulf and U23D, and sweeney todd.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:41 pm

depinmad wrote:the dopey thing is, sundance would be my third choice to see a mainstream summer blockbuster, after star, and point. the sound at sundance is fine for a drama like old country for old men, but was lacking when i saw beowulf and U23D, and sweeney todd.

agreed.
My wife wants to go see Indy there and I'm doing it out of love.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:44 pm

Sundance Cinema's FAQ wrote:What kind of movies play at the Sundance Cinemas?
We play the finest art, independent, world and documentary film available. A screen is programmed alongside a calendar affording more esoteric movie choices, as well. We also play quality selections from major distributors.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:57 pm

Of the half dozen movies I've seen at Sundance, the most crowded was Michael Clayton. All others played to audiences less than a quarter of the capacity.

These arty farty films don't bring in the dollars, a big budget action flick will. Sorry film fans, you're going to have to go back to Westgate and watching stuff on DVD first.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:12 pm

Shipley wrote:
These arty farty films don't bring in the dollars, a big budget action flick will. Sorry film fans, you're going to have to go back to Westgate and watching stuff on DVD first.

god, what a stupid, know-nothing, head up your own ass pronouncement to make. if you and assunder are ever wondering why you get on my nerves big time, just refer back to this post.
why don't you go peddle this "make an idiotic statement to hear myself clack clack on the keyboard" shit back at bullshittv.com or whatever that horseshit site you have that you were promoting back on the indiana jones thread.

fucking dumbass windbag.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:50 pm

Sundance is showing its true colors for what it really was all along. A mall multiplex with better food and decor. The indies won't support the overhead, so they program popcorn flicks, artistic mission be damned.

I don't really much care nor am I surprised. I've enjoyed a film there and a couple Pub quizzes in their bar. In fact my Lost team won free passes to the theater and I plan on seeing something cool when it comes along. But no one can claim its an indie cinema anymore, some of us have been saying this all along.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:03 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Sundance is showing its true colors for what it really was all along. A mall multiplex with better food and decor. The indies won't support the overhead, so they program popcorn flicks, artistic mission be damned.

I don't really much care nor am I surprised. I've enjoyed a film there and a couple Pub quizzes in their bar. In fact my Lost team won free passes to the theater and I plan on seeing something cool when it comes along. But no one can claim its an indie cinema anymore, some of us have been saying this all along.

Two things:

Thing 1) I posted their mission above. It's not just an arthouse, and unless they just updated their mission, it never was. There's no art mission to damn.

Thing 2) What team were you? Didn't know you were in the contest (you weren't on my team were you?)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:02 am

"What kind of movies play at the Sundance Cinemas?
We play the finest art, independent, world and documentary film available. A screen is programmed alongside a calendar affording more esoteric movie choices, as well. We also play quality selections from major distributors."

The first two sentences sound somewhat artistic in mission. That last sentence is a copout!

If I was on your team wouldn't I know you?! My team was "Through the Looking Glass" with the Scotch swiller up front. I'm guessing you were the "Fish Biscuit" crew, eh?
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Movies