MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 80.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

El Orfanato (The Orphanage)

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

El Orfanato (The Orphanage)

Postby christopher_robin » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:36 am

It's really hard to discuss this movie without spoiling it, but I do recommend it for fans of suspense, horror, and puzzle movies. It's in the same vein as The Others, but far richer, more human, and more densely layered.

It's a story about imaginary friends, and ghosts, and listening to children. It's also a story about being distracted and the colossal consequences of small actions.

There is at least one sequence that is truly scary if you have become immersed in the film, though I wouldn't call this a horror film.

Spanish, with subtitles. Available at Bongo.

Anyone else seen this? I can edit the header to alert for spoilers if anyone wants to discuss it--it's the kind of film that you want to compare notes on.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:48 am

i saw it alone in an empty movie theater.
it's a masterpiece. scariest thing i've seen in a while.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:37 pm

I saw it and thought it was very good. I also watched it alone, though from the comfort of my couch. It got pretty scary at the end, but I won't engage in any hyperbole.

If you like ghosty type stories and don't mine subtitled films, it's worth the rental.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies