MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Worst Movie Villains

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:21 pm

John Kreese of the Cobra Kai. From all three Karate Kid movies.

"Pain does not exist in this dojo does it!? NO SENSEI!!"

"The enemy deserves NO mercy... what is the problem Mr. Lawrence?!"

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Frank Booth » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:38 pm

Frank Booth
Forum Addict

Postby nevermore » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:46 pm

The three scariest words in the English language: Ronald Lee Ermey.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ouroborus4 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:50 pm

the cowboy guy from Mulholland Drive:

"You will see me one more time if you do good. You will seem me two more times if you do bad."
ouroborus4
Forum Addict

Re:

Postby bdog » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:27 am

Exploding Pinto wrote:When I was a kiddie, the Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was as scary as it got.

For me it was the Winter Warlock:
and the Abominable snowman:
"It was" is not entirely accurate either. WW was on TV the other night and still gave me a shiver.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Worst Movie Villains

Postby Earthling » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:43 pm

James Earl Jones: Darth Vader
Anthony Hopkins: Hannibal Lector
Earthling
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:39 am

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the evilest evil-doer of all time: Brad Wesley. Other minor-league villians like Hardy Jenns or Steff can't hold a candle to the master.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:01 am

Mitt Romney
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Re:

Postby supaunknown » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:30 pm

nevermore wrote:The three scariest words in the English language: Ronald Lee Ermey.

Oscar-worthy imo. What an unforgettable character. Tops my list of memorable movie drill Sergeants.
From IMDb:
According to director John Boorman, Stanley Kubrick wanted to cast Bill McKinney in the role of Gunnery Sgt. Hartman. However, Kubrick was so unsettled after viewing McKinney's performance in Deliverance that he declined to meet with him, saying he was simply too frightened at the idea of being in McKinney's presence. Kubrick then hired Tim Colceri to play Hartman. Colceri never got to play the role, as former US Marine Corps Drill Instructor R. Lee Ermey, consultant for the Marine Corps boot camp portion of the film, performed a demonstration on videotape in which he yelled obscene insults and abuse for 15 minutes without stopping, repeating himself or even flinching - despite being continuously pelted with tennis balls and oranges. Stanley Kubrick was so impressed that he cast Ermey as Hartman. Colceri was bitter but accepted Kubrick's consolation prize of a small role as a helicopter door-gunner.
The videotape demonstration was not the only factor which got R. Lee Ermey the role as the drill instructor. Ermey went to Stanley Kubrick and asked for the part, as the actors on the set were, in his opinion, not up to snuff. When Kubrick declined, Ermey barked an order for Kubrick to stand up when he was spoken to, and the director instinctively obeyed. That sealed the matter, and Ermey won the part as Gunnery Sgt. Hartmann.
Much, if not all, of R. Lee Ermey's dialogue during the Parris Island sequence was improvised. While filming the opening scene, where he disciplines Pvt. Cowboy, he says Cowboy is the type of guy who would have sex with another guy "and not even have the goddamned common courtesy to give him a reach-around". Stanley Kubrick immediately yelled cut and went over to Ermey and asked, "What the hell is a reach-around?" Ermey politely explained what it meant. Kubrick laughed and re-shot the scene, telling Ermey to keep the line.
Stanley Kubrick had nothing but praise for R. Lee Ermey's skills as a performer. Kubrick originally was going to write dialogue for Ermey's character himself, but he became so impressed with what Ermey improvised, that he decided it wasn't necessary. He just let him ad-lib, something practically unheard of for a Stanley Kubrick film. Ermey's performances were so faultless that Kubrick only needed 2-3 takes to get his scenes filmed, also extremely rare for a Kubrick film.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093058/trivia
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:19 pm

Good pick. When the movie first came out a coworker who had been through Army boot camp said that guy had to have been a real D.I. because he was too authentic to be just an actor. Turns out it was a good call.
Another villian/villians that were truly scary were the Humongous from "The Road Warrior". The costumes, tribal brutality, and wild live action shots set this one apart. When the feral kid tries to retrieve the shotgun shell from the hood of the 18 wheeler and the top toadie's head pops up...oh my goodness.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:02 am

Dwight Hansen from This Boy's Life
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:01 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the evilest evil-doer of all time: Brad Wesley. Other minor-league villians like Hardy Jenns or Steff can't hold a candle to the master.

The "Road House" curse continues. The Swayze, Jeff Healey and now Ben Gazzara dead

He was great in Buffalo '66.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Movies