MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 37.0° F  Mostly Cloudy and Breezy
Collapse Photo Bar

Milk

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Milk

Postby AaronTheSnob » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:59 pm

Some of the most stupendous reviews I've read in ages. Sean Penn is apparently totally unbelievable, with additional positive nods to James Franco and Josh Brolin.

I knew Harvey Milk--not well, but more than slightly--and the pieces I saw in the trailer at Sundance were stunning to me, because from what I could see, Penn literally takes over Harvey's entire essence.

I lived during those years only two blocks off Castro Street and was present through the whole wild, intense career of Harvey. Those were tumultuous times that leaves me filled with both sadness and a sense of exhuberance.
So many friends now gone (although Harvey preceded the AIDS onslaught), so many memories of that city that was so special to me and all the people who made it so. There was an innocence too...not only of what sort of horror was to come, but of the incredible progress that could be made in the area of gay/lesbian rights. (This, despite the big setbacks like Prop 8).

Harvey was an incredible person and lived an incredible life in an incredible place at an incredible time. I hope that none of you are put off by the subject matter and, if you are not already familiar with his story, take this opportunity to inform yourselves by seeing what is apparently a remarkable movie.
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Milk

Postby snoqueen » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:06 pm

On NPR, Fresh Air has had several very good interviews about Milk. If you like background, download and listen.

It sounds like a great movie, I agree.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cfath » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:03 pm

Hey Aaron,
I'm curious as to what you thought of The Times of Harvey Milk documentary--was it a documentary? Can't remember. It's been a long time since I've seen it (early 80's?). I loved that movie.
cfath

Postby AaronTheSnob » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:29 am

cfath wrote:Hey Aaron,
I'm curious as to what you thought of The Times of Harvey Milk documentary--was it a documentary? Can't remember. It's been a long time since I've seen it (early 80's?). I loved that movie.

"The Times of Harvey Milk" won an Oscar for Best Documentary, 1984-85.
It was recently re-released and I bought it (I also had not seen it for years).
It is pretty remarkable and still carries quite a punch. Made me cry.
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AaronTheSnob » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:34 am

I've been waiting for this: A stunning review in today's NYT:

http://movies.nytimes.com/2008/11/26/mo ... ref=movies
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:31 am

Sounds like its getting across the board accolades. I will have to go see it.

http://www.boston.com/movies/display?di ... e&id=12036
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bigredhunk » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:23 am

Even the rotten reviews on rottentomatoes are overwhelmingly positive (and hence "fraudulently" lowering the ratings).

I got jazzed when I looked at the Sundance showtimes and saw it coming to Madison on Friday. Alas, I was looking at the Kabuki (San Fran) showtimes. Madison's not getting it until 12/12.
Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Postby harrissimo » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:27 pm

I saw the previews of Milk tonight at Sundance and it looks like a great movie. It's on the top of my list to see. Sean Penn - what a great actor!
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:48 am

I like the Director, although 128 minutes is a bit self-indulgent.

Nice to see Hersch getting chummy with the big dogs. I hope he does well in Hollywood.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:07 pm

Hirsch has been the lead in Alpha Dog, Into the Wild, and Speed Racer in the last two years. He's already chummy with the big dogs (Sean Penn directed him in "Wild", and you got the Wachowski Brothers and Nick Cassavetes).

IMO he's like a Shia LaBouef that can really act. Not as much money in the bank, but more accolades and potential (even if Speed was panned and Alpha Dog was a bit of cheese).
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:24 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Hirsch has been the lead in Alpha Dog, Into the Wild, and Speed Racer in the last two years. He's already chummy with the big dogs (Sean Penn directed him in "Wild", and you got the Wachowski Brothers and Nick Cassavetes).

IMO he's like a Shia LaBouef that can really act. Not as much money in the bank, but more accolades and potential (even if Speed was panned and Alpha Dog was a bit of cheese).

I'm thinking Penn and Hersch probably hooked up on the Dogtown film. Penn went to high school with Peralta and Adams (the character Hersch played). Ok, Penn is a little younger than the original z-boys but still a SanMoHi grad.

Penn did the original narative for the Peralta documentary on Dogtown before the Hollywood version. Penn's character in Fast Times (Spicolli) was literally taken right out of his own high school antics. Not much of an acting stretch for him.

Yea, Into the Wild was a pretty awesome film. Just as good as the book and you can't say that about a lot of films. Again, over indulgent director cut's, but boys will be boys.

Looking forward to MILK. Maybe I can find someone who would want to go see that with me.

Elfman did the soundtrack. Man, that guy works Hollywood a lot.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:47 pm

Elfman is the shit as a film composer. Even when Oingo Boingo was still banging around, his music was in a shitload of films. Just watched "Weird Science" uncut last night and had forgotten they wrote the theme song...they also rocked in "Back to School."
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:52 pm

I always thought of Emile Hirsch as the next River Phoenix. Apparently, I'm not the only one. Van Sant directed at least two great films Phoenix starred in, My Own Private Idaho and Even Cowgirls Get The Blues.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AaronTheSnob » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:43 pm

Finally...opening this Friday in Madison.
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:52 pm

Very cool, anyone seen "Slumdog Millionaire" yet?
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Movies