MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, October 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Movie Scores/Soundtracks

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Movie Scores/Soundtracks

Postby MadMind » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:29 am

I'm a fan of movie scores & soundtracks. They often-times transcend the film(s) they are featured in.

What are some of your favorite movie scores/soundtracks which you feel transcend the film it was featured in?
Hans Zimmer, Bill Conti, Craig Armstrong, James Horner, James Newton Howard, Jerry Goldsmith, John Williams, Vince DiCola, Steve Jablonsky, Edward Shearmur, Cliff Martinez, Bruce Broughton, David Holmes, Wendy Carlos, Harold Faltermeyer, Ennio Morricone, Giorgio Moroder, Alan Silvestri, Mark Isham, John Carpenter, Dave Grusin, Danny Elfman, Howard Shore, Daniel Lanois, Tangerine Dream etc., etc., etc.?

I just listened to The Last Samurai score by Hans Zimmer again the other night. Every time I listen and give it my attention it moves me.
Last edited by MadMind on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Movie Scores/Soundtracks That Transcend The Film

Postby mayact4 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:54 am

I love movie scores. My vote for score that most transcends the movie is "Proof". Totally forgetable movie, but the music is haunting and beautiful.
mayact4
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:18 am

Tron.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bigredhunk » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:04 am

I love everything Clint Mansell does. Can't wait to hear his score in "The Wrestler."

"Smokin' Aces"-outstanding
"The Fountain"-outstanding
"Requiem For A Dream"-well, you get the point
Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:10 am

I prefer Jan Hammer. JK.

Seriously, if a movie sucks, who cares about the score. If you have that much free time, I have 10K albums to lend you.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:41 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:Tron.

TRON is definitely a distinctive soundtrack. Although I can't help but envision the movie when listening to the score. They are intertwined.

Why they didn't include the light cycle theme in the finished product is a mystery.
"There is one track I'm disappointed not to see included - Lightcycle Music. This track has been floating around the Internet for some time now, as well as the rest of the soundtrack. By my understanding, it was deleted from the final cut of the movie just like Love Theme (and its corresponding scene). But Love Theme made it to the soundtrack. So why not Lightcycle Music? According to Wendy Carlos, Break In was cut from the original LP for reasons of space. The scene where Love Theme is played was axed at the last minute by Disney long after the original LP went into mass production and released. No point in recalling millions of copies of the entire soundtrack just because of that one track, right? The Lightcycle Music track must have been deleted during post-production and before the LP was produced. Considering that Break In, Love Theme and the other bonus tracks are included in this CD, the question of what happen to Lightcycle Music still remains."

"To those complaining about the loss of the "Deleted Lightcycle Music" track, there is a beautiful reorchestration and performance of it on one of Carlos's other recordings: It is the movement "Io" on her "Digital Moonscapes" CD."

And thanks for making me plug TRON into the old search engine.
I discovered that TR2N (TRON 2) has been greenlighted (and will be in 3D), Jeff Bridges is apparently signed on, and Bruce Boxleitner says he hasn't been approached but would be open to it.
A kickass teaser trailer was unveiled at the latest Comic Con (featuring Jeff Bridges)!

boston_jeff wrote:Seriously, if a movie sucks, who cares about the score. If you have that much free time, I have 10K albums to lend you.

So it isn't "real music" if it's attatched to a film? It's that sort of dismissive attitude that frustrates me. Are you also the type that requires a vocalist screaming in your ear at all times to dictate a songs meaning?
Last edited by MadMind on Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mayact4 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:53 am

boston_jeff wrote:I prefer Jan Hammer. JK.

Seriously, if a movie sucks, who cares about the score. If you have that much free time, I have 10K albums to lend you.

Sorry - didn't realize that the thread title said "Movie Scores/Soundtracks that Transcend the Really Great Film".
mayact4
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:09 pm

MadMind wrote:TRON is definitely a distinctive soundtrack. But I can't help but envision the movie when listening to the score. They are intertwined.

I wish Tron were a better movie. There's a lot to like, especially its imaginative design, and I've always enjoyed David Warner as the smug high-tech exec. But the film doesn't live up to its promise. Too many lines are B movie cliches. But Wendy Carlos is a distinguished composer, and her soundtrack is a wonder.

Also in the Disney sci-fi realm, the score for The Black Hole by the fabulous John Barry is a stunner, and that movie also has promise. (Occult slave robots!) But it too devolves into foolishness.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:26 pm

I'm guessing MadMind will not like this, but I really think Gustavo Santaolalla score for Brokeback Mountain is one of the best. He does, afterall have an Oscar sitting on his fireplace mantle to prove it.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:47 pm

Occasionally a soundtrack transcends the film, but in general, if a movie blows, the soundtrack is an afterthought. Name ten films that suck but have a memorable soundtrack.

I'm just more interested in ruminating on a great film that was enhanced by its great soundtrack.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:46 am

I can't name 10 films off the top of my head that suck/have great soundtracks but one that comes to mind is Until the End of the World which was a piece of shit, even for Wim Wenders, but has a soundtrack that stands on its own.
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Movie Scores/Soundtracks

Postby MadMind75 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:22 pm

From 2008 and 2009 respectively, two scores I really liked were what David Norland did for Anvil! The Story Of Anvil and the score for Steven Soderbergh's The Girlfriend Experience by Morcheeba's Ross Godfrey.
Tragically, neither of these wonderful scores were made commercially available.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby depinmad » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:13 am

Camille 2000
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AaronTheSnob » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:11 pm

I have to say in all honesty that my favorite soundtrack of all time still remains John Barry's score from "Somewhere In Time" (1980), with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour.

Two others that rate highly with me are "Out Of Africa" and "The Prince of Tides".
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:34 pm

I've listened to Tangerine Dream's soundtrack to "The Sorcerer" a lot over the last few months. There is a soundtrack that is pretty great as a standalone piece of work. (I've seen bits and pieces of that movie but it's always seemed kind of goofy and not worth a full watch.)

Another soundtrack that I find myself listening to a lot is Angelo Badalamenti's soundtrack to Twin Peaks. (Both seasons 1 and 2.)
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies