MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Oscar Nominations

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Oscar Nominations

Postby AaronTheSnob » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:01 am

Most of them I have no quarrel with, but gimme a break: Robert Downey, Jr. for that piece of shit "Tropic Thunder"??

And as far as Heath Ledger is concerned: Yes, he was the best thing about "The Dark Knight", but that type of role is NOT (at least in my opinion) Academy Award worthy. He should have won for "Brokeback Mountain", which I have a feeling is what this nomination is all about in the first place.

Kate Winslett rocks, as does Anne Hathaway. Sean Penn was magnificent.
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Oscar Nominations

Postby Shipley » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:07 am

No best picture nods for The Wrestler, Dark Knight, or Wall-E.

Geeks get the shaft again.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:08 am

I hate the notion that certain types of roles are not Oscar worthy. Because of that kind of thinking, comedic actors always get the shaft, yet talk to any actor and they'll tell you that comedy is much more difficult to perform than drama.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:58 pm

Bland wrote:I hate the notion that certain types of roles are not Oscar worthy. Because of that kind of thinking, comedic actors always get the shaft, yet talk to any actor and they'll tell you that comedy is much more difficult to perform than drama.

Well - Aaron is a self-admitted snob, after all.

But I agree completely. A perfect case in point: there were no Oscars given out to actors in what is probably my favorite genre - horror - between Fredric March in 1932 for Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Jodie Foster in 1991 for The Silence of the Lambs.

When you consider that this period would include Peter Lorre in M, Tony Perkins in Psycho, and Sissy Spacek's Carrie (to include only the most obvious examples), I think anyone but a snob would have to concede how ridiculous this arbitrary assignment of 'Oscar-worthiness' truly is.

And again - that Bruce Campbell's Elvis from Bubba Ho-Tep was denied even a nomination is all the proof I need that the members of The Acadamy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences are a bunch of stuffed-shirt ponces.

Bruce is the shit. Tom Hanks isn't worthy of polishing his rhinestones.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AaronTheSnob » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:19 pm

Marvell, I finally decided to break down and self-admit that I was a snob, since J Joyce was obviously enjoying calling me one so often. Thought I might as well save him the energy and take the wind out of his sails at the same time...lol.
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:06 pm

reasons to boycott the oscars:

the reader gets nominated for best picture over dark knight, the wrestler, wall-e and probably 20 other mainstream hollywood movies that were much more critically well received and popular at the box office

springsteen gets ROBBED out of a nomination for the wrestler, and only three songs even make the list of nominees.

insanity.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:21 pm

I think Dark Knight should've been a Best Director nom at the very least. I use the EW critics chart and Rotten Tomatoes to check out a varied perspective on film criticism. Of the best pic noms, I have only seen Slumdog (95%), but Button (72%) and The Reader (60%) have received mixed reviews while the Dark Knight (94%) was pretty well universally acclaimed.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing The Wrestler (98%) more than those two. I read reviews of Button and Reader by respected reviewers that I trust and they all gave middling scores, while Knight and the Wrestler received accolades from even the snobbiest of critics. There's something rotten in Denmark and its the Academy's obsession with named actors, directors and celebrities in decidedly dramatic films. Even WALL-E (96%) might've deserved a shot here.

Check out EW's article about reconsidered Oscars to get a perspective on this. Matt Damon is quoted as saying Oscars should be given out ten years later, he's pretty much right on.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AaronTheSnob » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:54 pm

boston_jeff wrote:I think Dark Knight should've been a Best Director nom at the very least. I use the EW critics chart and Rotten Tomatoes to check out a varied perspective on film criticism. Of the best pic noms, I have only seen Slumdog (95%), but Button (72%) and The Reader (60%) have received mixed reviews while the Dark Knight (94%) was pretty well universally acclaimed.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing The Wrestler (98%) more than those two. I read reviews of Button and Reader by respected reviewers that I trust and they all gave middling scores, while Knight and the Wrestler received accolades from even the snobbiest of critics. There's something rotten in Denmark and its the Academy's obsession with named actors, directors and celebrities in decidedly dramatic films. Even WALL-E (96%) might've deserved a shot here.

Check out EW's article about reconsidered Oscars to get a perspective on this. Matt Damon is quoted as saying Oscars should be given out ten years later, he's pretty much right on.

Actually, I agree with much of what you have to say, BJ. I take issue only with the fact that some people think "popularity" or "box office" should be a measure of a film's worthiness. I totally disagree, based upon the success of some of the biggest pieces of worthless dreck by almost anyone's standards, even a snob's.

The year that actually kind of totally turned me off to the Oscars was the year Julie Fucking Roberts won for "Erin Brokavitch" over Ellen Burstyn's brilliant and harrowing performance in "Requiem For A Dream". A bigger travesty I have never seen and it has affected me feelings about the awards ever since.
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AaronTheSnob » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:56 pm

By the way, BJ, you said several weeks ago that you were looking forward to seeing "Milk". Surprised you have not. It is excellent.
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:00 pm

If the Academy Awards were really interested in not posting the lowest ratings ever yet again (I read this headline every year that fewer and fewer people watch) they could at least try nominating some movies people actually fucking liked.

THey don't have to give Dark Knight the award, just NOMINATE it. is that so hard?

I'd really like to meet the stuffed shirt who though The Reader was better than the god damned Bat Man so I can show them how to make a pencil disappear!
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:09 pm

I am deciding between Milk and The Wrestler for my next film and intend on seeing both before Oscar night.

And yeah, I fucking hate Julia Roberts. She's the epitome of a one-note actress who happens to be a celebrity. The sad thing is these nimrods actually believe they have range when they win one. Clooney seems like a cool guy and "gets it" as far as balancing smaller projects and Ocean's movies, but he's also more a celebrity than an actor. He and Tom Cruise play the same smarmy grin in every film.

Box office has nothing to do with art, but WALL-E and Knight had ticket sales and great reviews, and both were great IMO.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:15 pm

Shipley wrote:If the Academy Awards were really interested in not posting the lowest ratings ever yet again (I read this headline every year that fewer and fewer people watch) they could at least try nominating some movies people actually fucking liked.

THey don't have to give Dark Knight the award, just NOMINATE it. is that so hard?

I'd really like to meet the stuffed shirt who though The Reader was better than the god damned Bat Man so I can show them how to make a pencil disappear!

sticking a pencil up his own ass is shipley's most popular party trick.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:26 pm

Nice to know you can completely agree with me in your first post in this thread, but still find the will to launch a childish off topic attack.

I am once again reminded that I am better than you.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:41 pm

Shipley wrote:Nice to know you can completely agree with me in your first post in this thread, but still find the will to launch a childish off topic attack.

I am once again reminded that I am better than you.

but there are so many more sides to ME.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:50 pm

different sides... like two face?
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Movies