MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

"Paul Blart: Mall Cop" #1 @ Box Office 2 Weeks In A Row

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

"Paul Blart: Mall Cop" #1 @ Box Office 2 Weeks In A Row

Postby Bigredhunk » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:34 pm

It made almost $34 million in its opening weekend, and almost $22 million this weekend. Total gross = $64,923,380 This is a movie that wasn't heavily marketed (I didn't see much for it).

Is this the first sign of armageddon?
Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Re: "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" #1 @ Box Office 2 Weeks In A Row

Postby Shipley » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:43 pm

My brother, a movie critic for Baltimore City Paper (their Isthmus) said it wasn't bad.

http://www.citypaper.com/film/review.asp?rid=14375

last sentence speaks for itself:
"But all the while it's James that carries the movie on his beefy shoulders, through its weaker gags and more pointless plot twists, to make Mall Cop one of the more tolerable lowbrow laughers in recent memory"

So I guess it depends on how much you like lowbrow broad comedy. I stick with the classics like Caddyshack, though Will Ferral has his place. Does Kevin James deserve a crack at a movie career?
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:48 pm

Why anyone would go see this movie when there are so many amazing options out there right now such as Jim Carrey in "The Yes Man" or what's her name and that other chick in "Bride Wars". Just seems silly to me. Well there's no accounting for taste I guess.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:54 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Why anyone would go see this movie when there are so many amazing options out there right now such as Jim Carrey in "The Yes Man" or what's her name and that other chick in "Bride Wars". Just seems silly to me. Well there's no accounting for taste I guess.

You forgot, "He's Just Not That Into You" and "Hotel for Dogs."
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:24 pm

January is a grim time au cinéma.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:32 pm

Re:

http://www.citypaper.com/film/review.asp?rid=14375

I could sure play me some Millipede right about now.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AaronTheSnob » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:02 pm

Almost any Will Ferrell, Jack Black, Seth Rogan or Jim Carrey movie literally leaves me rolling in the aisles, overcome with gales of laughter. I enjoy movies about 30/40-something year old men who have never progressed beyond early adolescence who are obsessed with farts and tits.

(If they habitually made these kinds of movies about similarly idiotic, brain-dead women, there would undoubtedly be hell to pay.)
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:26 pm

I enjoy a good dick and fart joke as much as the next guy, but its sad when that's the only kind of humor you can understand or enjoy. My grad school mentor used to go on and on about how "talented" Jim Carrey was because he "is able to make so many great expressions and do different voices." Yeah, like any fifth grader. I like the guy OK, and he has shown a little bit of range in a few select films, but he's not exactly Sir Laurence Olivier.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:33 pm

I have thoroughly enjoyed most all oif Will Ferrels movies, Same with any and all Apatow productions. JIm Carrey on the other hand hasn't been funny since In Living Colour.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:55 pm

Dude, that Stepbrothers movie and the 70's ABA thing? Them were some bad films. I like Anchorman a lot and the Apatow stuff is generally pretty good. Paul Rudd is probably my favorite actor who bridges the two groups. That guy's funny. I do feel like when you hit the public over the head with the same formula over and over again, you begin to overstay your welcome. And both the Ferrell/McKay and Apatow groups are certainly guilty of that.

Speaking of those groups, has anyone heard about this?
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20246031,00.html

Apparently some of the funniest comedians in Hollywood are huge fans of this (unintentional) comedy. Anyone seen it?
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dirtypunk » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:01 pm

AaronTheSnob wrote:I enjoy movies about 30/40-something year old men who have never progressed beyond early adolescence who are obsessed with farts and tits.

(If they habitually made these kinds of movies about similarly idiotic, brain-dead women, there would undoubtedly be hell to pay.)

They do... All the Pamela Anderson movies.
dirtypunk

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:13 pm

Gotta say I thought Step Brothers and Semi Pro were worth the Netflix add. I can agree with you that they were sub par compared to some of the others but they both made me laugh. It does seem to be wearing a little thin at times just becasue there is such a huge catalog of those movies now but I have yet to hit my breaking point.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bigredhunk » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:49 pm

I'm hoping beyond hope that either Liam Neeson (TAKEN), David Strathairn & Elizabeth Banks (THE UNINVITED), or Renee Zellweger & Harry Connick (NEW IN TOWN) can take the #1 spot this weekend. With the Super Bowl, the #'s will probably be down though.

TAKEN looks damn fun. Liam Neeson rocks. I want to see him get his Bourne on. THE UNINVITED has a gal I love and a guy I love (or feel really strongly about) and has good buzz on RT. NEW IN TOWN looks formulaic and lame, but I'm a sucker for movies shot in a winter setting.
Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:18 pm

Taken came out on DVD in europe like 6 month ago. probably a stinker to get dumped on a bad weekend like this.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Taken - 60% and Uninvited - 67% should be able to make some headway, but New in Town - 15% is getting hammered by critics.

Ouch, that's lower than Paul Blart - 27%. Then again, does the average American filmgoer read reviews?
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Movies