MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Juno Revisited

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Juno Revisited

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:21 am

I have a feeling all the hipsters that made this movie such a big deal will turn their back on it as time goes on for a couple reasons (its been replaying on HBO lately and I've got lots of time on my hands):

-Never in the history of people has anyone ever talked like that. If the dialogue of a movie is completely unbelievable, how can it be considered a good movie?
-The music is awful. I think I understand what they were going for, it supposed to be like minimalist indie music, right? The problem with miminmalist music is every asshole with an acoustic guitar thinks they can do it. There is infinite space between a Smog album and this garbage.

Can anyone still support this movie?

-
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Re: Juno Revisited

Postby depinmad » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:42 am

i like the stylized dialogue, and i like the music.
it's a funny, charming little movie. certainly more interesting in every way than other oscar nominated movies like, for instance, the reader.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:18 am

Well, maybe I need to hear the music out of the context of the movie- I can't say I haven't done a 180 on things of this nature in the past.
It definitely evokes an emotion out of me, just not a good one.
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby rrnate » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:49 am

I'd agree that the script is often obnoxious, but I think the acting really saves it and sells it.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:04 am

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:-Never in the history of people has anyone ever talked like that. If the dialogue of a movie is completely unbelievable, how can it be considered a good movie?

I'm glad that the measure of a good movie is not in fact that the characters talk the way people actually talk, based on what I know about how people actually talk.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:05 am

Again with the dialogue argument? Didn't we already address this? Do you think people really ever talked like they do in Shakespeare's works? Not to say that this movie was as good as Shakespeare, but the complaint about unrealistic dialogue is without merit. Hopefully you will avoid Jarmusch and Mamet films if this bothers you.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:05 am

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:I have a feeling all the hipsters that made this movie such a big deal will turn their back on it as time goes on for a couple reasons (its been replaying on HBO lately and I've got lots of time on my hands):
-Never in the history of people has anyone ever talked like that. If the dialogue of a movie is completely unbelievable, how can it be considered a good movie?
-The music is awful. I think I understand what they were going for, it supposed to be like minimalist indie music, right? The problem with miminmalist music is every asshole with an acoustic guitar thinks they can do it. There is infinite space between a Smog album and this garbage.

What's the dealio, Javajammer? Are you're sayin' HBO is live and Juno is jive? Well spiggity-wiggity and boogily-boogily, Mister Boo Hoo!

Juno is pretentiously precious.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:17 am

I love Jarmusch and Mamet. Those are a whole different level from "Juno" tho'.

It was the characters that I didn't like. I didn't find it all that intersting or funny either.

Not bad per se, just not worth the hype to me.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:38 am

dave esmond wrote:I love Jarmusch and Mamet. Those are a whole different level from "Juno" tho'.

Yeah, but the dialogue in both is not realistic in many of their movies either. The dense dialogue, in fact, is half of the reason why I love the underrated Mamet movie "Spartan"

"INDICATE YOU HEARD ME!"
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:48 am

TAsunder wrote:Yeah, but the dialogue in both is not realistic in many of their movies either. The dense dialogue, in fact, is half of the reason why I love the underrated Mamet movie "Spartan"

"INDICATE YOU HEARD ME!"

Exactly!

Mamet dialogue is great to my ears. Try and see a good production of one of his plays some time. It's mind blowingly awesome.

"Juno" was snarky and smartass. Mamet is smart and poetic. To my ears and all that anyway.

I liked "Superbad" a lot better then "Juno". Just as unrealistic, just as well acted, but funnier and sweeter to me. Nothing I'd rave about tho'.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:06 pm

I thought it was a B+ movie when I saw it, and I'm closer to B- after two+ HBO viewings.

The dialogue has always annoyed me, its just too over the top. The scene with Rainn Wilson is particularly annoying. Also, her character's taste in music is wholly unbelievable as well. We've been over this before on previous threads, and I agree that a. many great playwrights and screenwriters employ dialogue that is unlike what we typically hear in the real world, and b. some kids these days do like 70's punk, etc. Its just that in Juno, Diablo Cody takes it way too far. That's my issue, its a good first effort for a fledgling screenwriter, but its overly cutesy and hipsterish to a fault. And I do like Diablo, I read her column in EW and I read her memoir about being a stripper in the Twin Cities.

Comparing Juno to David Mamet or Jim Jarmusch is a huge stretch. The dialogue in their films is notable (as it is in Shakespeare), but it doesn't annoy the crap out of me, nor is it completely and utterly unbelievable. Juno had a great cast, a cool/hip flavor, and an interesting subtext (teen pregnancy/adoption/growing up). Its a pretty good film. But thats it. And yes, I can't stand the music either. I've always hated the Moldy Peaches, ever since I saw them open on the Strokes first tour. To each their own I guess.

I liked "Spartan" too.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:16 pm

The dialogue in Shakespeare is definitely "completely and utterly unbelievable." That was really my only point... that unbelievable dialogue does not immediately ruin a play/movie. In other words, that a movie can still be enjoyable with such dialogue - which the OP indicates is not possible.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:23 pm

I was mainly focusing on David and Jim, but I agree, it doesn't ruin it. But it does detract for me in the case of Juno. I liked a lot of things about it, but the dialogue and the precociousness of the main character was a bit grating. Paulie Bleeker on the other hand...
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:53 pm

Every year we get one of these - the dread 'Indie Comedy.'

They always - to some greater or lesser degree - suck.

Casting my mind back, we've had (in no chronological order):

My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Little Miss Sunshine
Juno
Garden State
Waitress
(or whatever the fuck that movie was with all the pies)

What they all had in common is that only the extremely shallow and/or lame could have mistaken them for anything other than mildly diverting - no matter how much DeVotchka they had on the soundtrack.

Consequently - any time someone hypes a flick as 'the next Little Miss Sunshine' (or whatev) I just dig out my copy of Raising Arizona - to remind myself that some movies are funny, original and have some edge to them.

My first law of media literacy - hype is always wrong.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:06 pm

I didn't realize Waitress was even all that hyped. I saw it and enjoyed it well enough, but had no idea it was in the same league as Garden State, Juno, etc. as far as hype.

Raising Arizona, though? That takes the #1 position on my list of unfunny, over-hyped comedies. #2 is possibly Garden State. #3 is a collective tie of all Wes Anderson movies other than Darjeeling Limited.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Movies