MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, February 1, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 17.0° F  Light Snow Fog/Mist and Breezy
Collapse Photo Bar

Juno Revisited

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Re: Juno Revisited

Postby depinmad » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:35 pm

TAsunder wrote:I didn't realize Waitress was even all that hyped. I saw it and enjoyed it well enough, but had no idea it was in the same league as Garden State, Juno, etc. as far as hype.

Raising Arizona, though? That takes the #1 position on my list of unfunny, over-hyped comedies. #2 is possibly Garden State. #3 is a collective tie of all Wes Anderson movies other than Darjeeling Limited.

aw sunder, we were getting along so well on this thread then you had to make one too many posts.

let's not get all bogged down over what movies are great (raising arizona and all wes anderson movies, with the possible exception of steve zissou, which is kind of annoying) and which movies are not (garden state is not good but is a masterpiece compared to that one they made here starring that zach braff douche)

the main point we are making is a good one: that there are ten tons of movies books and plays wherein the characters don't speak the way people speak in real life, and thank goodness for those works of art.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:37 pm

Waitress was sort of hyped among the "in the know" indie filmgoers. I thought it was meh too. The backstory was part of the hype (I believe the director was murdered shortly after/before the film's release). I think of Garden State and Sunshine like Juno, OK, but not great. Greek Wedding was only "indie" in its financing. Obviously, its a piece of crap.

I like Raising Arizona and most of the Wes Anderson canon a lot.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:10 pm

supaunknown wrote:
drinkinblackcoffee wrote:I have a feeling all the hipsters that made this movie such a big deal will turn their back on it as time goes on for a couple reasons (its been replaying on HBO lately and I've got lots of time on my hands):
-Never in the history of people has anyone ever talked like that. If the dialogue of a movie is completely unbelievable, how can it be considered a good movie?
-The music is awful. I think I understand what they were going for, it supposed to be like minimalist indie music, right? The problem with miminmalist music is every asshole with an acoustic guitar thinks they can do it. There is infinite space between a Smog album and this garbage.

What's the dealio, Javajammer? Are you're sayin' HBO is live and Juno is jive? Well spiggity-wiggity and boogily-boogily, Mister Boo Hoo!

Juno is pretentiously precious.

Awesome, you played that like a slide bass. I see a screen play in your future.

I guess my "people don't talk like that" argument was weak- there are too many films and writers to site that discredit this thought.
Someone else called it "snarky"- I don't know what this means yet it seems accurate to describe how the film annoys me. The closest thought I could come up with was, "Its-like-Fast-&-Furious-for-Roller-Derby-Grrrl/Tattoo-Parlor-Crowd".
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:33 pm

depinmad wrote:(garden state is not good but is a masterpiece compared to that one they made here starring that zach braff douche)

That movie was funnier than Garden State, though. In an unintentional way.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:57 pm

The Last Kiss? Yeah, that was slightly better than Garden State, mainly for the locations. Garden State was tedious.

I liked Waitress.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:16 pm

supaunknown wrote:The Last Kiss? Yeah, that was slightly better than Garden State, mainly for the locations. Garden State was tedious.

I liked Waitress.

Waitress has Cheryl Hines, pant pant.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:57 pm

I saw Juno, and got the DVD as a gift, haven't felt motivated to go back yet.

Wes Anderson's best work may be his first 3 movies, but on those 3 I will go back to every one he make from now on. BottleRocket is one of my all time favorites and the first time I saw Rushmore I laughed so hard my nose bled.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:26 pm

Shipley wrote:Wes Anderson's best work may be his first 3 movies, but on those 3 I will go back to every one he make from now on. BottleRocket is one of my all time favorites and the first time I saw Rushmore I laughed so hard my nose bled.

I didn't realize this was even possible. Do you have some sort of predisposition to nose bleeds?

I don't remember laughing a whole lot during Rushmore. I really liked the early parts but then it lost my interest as the "battle" became the focus of the film.

I also enjoyed Royal Tenenbaums in parts, but the overall movie just was too off-putting. I have a hard time enjoying a comedy where the vast majority of humor is based on watching people behave extremely oddly and laughing at them just for being odd.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:52 pm

I should clarify: I laughed so hard my friend stabbed me in the face.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:00 pm

I haven't seen Juno, because I hated the trailers. HATED them. Can't decide if I should force myself to give it a shot now that it's on cable.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Elliot » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:14 pm

I never watched Juno because it became so obvious they wanted me to watch it. They hit on me with that minimalist indie pop soundtrack, Michael Cera, a clever plot about some kids with adult sized responsibilities, and that stupid dialogue that was supposed to spawn all kinds of new lingo.

I don't even care if it IS good!

The marketing hype turned me off like an overly made up cougar trying to talk to me about Animal Collective because she read all the kids were listening to them in Time Magazine. Ugh. It felt so contrived.
Elliot
Forum Addict

Postby mrak » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:21 pm

I watched Juno bleary-eyed, during the middle of the night on a transatlantic flight. I enjoyed it, but I suspect it wouldn't hold up well for me under better optimized viewing conditions.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:30 am

Ducatista wrote:I haven't seen Juno, because I hated the trailers. HATED them. Can't decide if I should force myself to give it a shot now that it's on cable.

Yeah, go on, force yourself. I finally just did the other night, and was charmed. I can see how it isn't for everyone, though.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:39 pm

Elliot wrote:It felt so contrived.

You mean like that post you just wro... ah. Very nice. 8)
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:45 pm

Ducatista wrote:
Elliot wrote:It felt so contrived.

You mean like that post you just wro... ah. Very nice. 8)

zing
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Movies