MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

The Wrestler

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

The Wrestler

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:03 am

It seems odd that this isn't on here yet.

We went to Sundance tonight and while standing in line to get tickets the entire mall blacked out. We waited fifteen minutes and then dashed to Point in time for the next showing.

This movie was so good it hurt. Not once during the movie did Rourke remind me that he was just an actor playing a role. Oscar? I don't know or care, but Mickey Rourke IS Randy 'The Ram'. He makes you feel every cut and bruise. I've had a little insight into the behind-the-scenes workings of small time pro wrestling and the movie nails it. I've read that the character was based on the real-life Jake 'The Snake' Roberts, but I only saw Greg 'The Hammer' Valentine, all the way. As a kid I watched Valentine play to a packed Madison Square Garden and as an adult I witnessed him seated at a card table before a county fair match, waiting to sign $8 photos for fans who weren't coming, looking as worn and weary as Rourke's character.
I've also had more than a little inside insight into strip clubs and the scenes in the movie are the most realistic I've ever watched. Painfully realistic in the way that Rourke blends the perfect amounts of macho and loneliness with that glimmer of hope that it's not just his money that she wants. Trust me, I know all of the characteristics of those trying to be more than just a customer, and Rourke plays it perfect. Likewise with Tomei's aging stripper. She switches to her customer face and voice like a pro and the bad tattoos and unaltered body are as true-life as it gets.
I really can't say enough. I could watch this movie over and over.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Wrestler

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:09 am

Great write up on a brilliant movie. The only thing I would disagree with is being able to watch it over and over- too painful of a story for me.

I had not heard of the Jake the Snake influence, but it totally makes sense.

When I was in Oshkosh going to college, they let the guys on the football team(I was a defensive end) do the whole-security-guards-to-the-ring thing. I got to stand around backstage with a bunch of the wrestlers- most of them I didn't know since I stopped watching wrestling at 14, but then in walks Bret "The Hitman" Hart. It was nothing short of depressing. My memory of this guy made me assume he would have made enough money to retire to a beach somewhere and sip magaritas for life. The similiarities I remember of "The Hitman" to a few scenes in "The Wrestler" make the movie seem all the more real.
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:46 am

I really loved this as well. No surprise there, though, since I really like all of Aronofsky's work so far (yes, even The Fountain). Considering how well reviewed this movie was, I was somewhat flabbergasted that it didn't get a Best Picture nod over Benjamin Button or The Reader.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:18 am

Yup.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:47 am

david fincher made a brilliant three hour masterpiece that will stand the test of time... unfortunately that film is zodiac, which was snubbed entirely last year.

the reader is godawful, and so is frost/nixon. what a terribly hackey piece of filmmaking that is, full of terrible hairpieces and embarrassing mock talking head doc footage that adds nothing except douche chills.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:48 pm

I've watched the goddamn trailer ten times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61-GFxjTyV0

I think I have a mancrush on him.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bigredhunk » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:45 pm

Bruce got screwed, too. "The Wrestler" is THE movie song of the year.
Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:03 pm

depinmad wrote:david fincher made a brilliant three hour masterpiece that will stand the test of time... unfortunately that film is zodiac, which was snubbed entirely last year.

the reader is godawful, and so is frost/nixon. what a terribly hackey piece of filmmaking that is, full of terrible hairpieces and embarrassing mock talking head doc footage that adds nothing except douche chills.

Just re-watched "Zodiac" recently on cable (the first time was on a trans-Atlantic flight). Its really an excellent film, I'd agree his best.

Weird how every article I've read about the Oscars basically admits that the BP award is a joke and there are no real criteria. The latest buzz is that "The Reader" has a shot because Harvey Weinstein is "so good" at Oscar campaigning, which is why "Ryan" lost to "Shakespeare" in 1998. Generally thought of as a huge shit sandwich. I've not seen "Milk" but have heard really good things across the board. If "Milk" or "Slumdog" win I will be fine. If a very poorly reviewed "The Reader" wins because some studio exec smeared a bunch of other films in a media campaign (this is what Harvey does) and the Academy falls for it, they should be ashamed, as should he. If I were a director or an actor I would be ashamed to win an award this way.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies