MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Film Fest Rejects

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Film Fest Rejects

Postby vista-cruiser » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:32 pm

Go ahead, call me a sore looser. But that won't stop me from getting my rejected film shown last night during the film festival, even if it is guerrilla style, outside the orpeum and onto the Art Museum.

My Film, Crustacean Records: Drown Out The Daylights, may not have a bleeding heart narrative that is more attractive to film fest selection panel, but it an interesting collective of 10 bands of the 15year running punk label in the not surprisingly ignored midwestern music scene. Bands tell the story themselves in interviews and songs about what its like to be small, indie, and trying to make it in fly-over country.

These photos are from last night, but you can also watch the flick here http://hinckleydesign.com/drown/ or read more here
http://www.crustaceanrecords.com/cart/d ... 190.117.84

Madison Band Things Fall Apart
Minneapolis Band Ouija Radio (Christy also plays with the Von Bondies)
vista-cruiser

Re: Film Fest Rejects

Postby supaunknown » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:15 am

vista-cruiser wrote:guerrilla style, outside the orpeum and onto the Art Museum.

Nice!

Reminds me of this story I read about Red Skelton. He had a house in the Hollywood Hills and invited friends over to watch stag movies - projected from a distance onto an unsuspecting neighbor's large garage door. Apparently they used to enjoy watching the traffic drive by ...
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:57 pm

As Mr Typo I'm far from the one to mention it.

But...

From the website:

"...this little label has become of the the key players in the Midwest music scene. Drown out the Daylights is the story of what of survival of a band in fly over country and how being it a band is survival itself for many musicians."

As people always tell me, the typos ain't helpin' anything.

Nice film tho'.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:59 pm

Sounds like a much better use of the projector than last year, when some douche just blasted music at way-too high volume from their iTunes playlist and twittered, and we all got the "pleasure" of seeing that while waiting in line...
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies