MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Star Trek

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Star Trek

Postby Shipley » Thu May 07, 2009 10:36 pm

If you love Star Trek, if you hate Star Trek, see this movie.

The polar opposite to Wolverine. Fun, imaginative, re-inventing the universe without ignoring what made it great. Some in jokes for fans, but also a lot of service to the characters to help you identify them quickly.

Chris Pine makes you stop thinking about William Shatner and consider James T Kirk.

I am ready and willing to see this continue.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Star Trek

Postby Vinnie P » Mon May 11, 2009 1:36 am

This movie sucked so bad we need a new word for suck to describe it!

The casting was bad, the acting was worse and the script was abysmal. This movie does not even rise to the level of fan fiction.
Vinnie P
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Mon May 11, 2009 7:21 am

You're the very first person I've heard say anything bad about this movie.

In fact checking Rotten Tomatoes, its still holding strong at 96%, which is rare after a movie is out and users start to torpedo the score.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon May 11, 2009 8:25 am

my kids hated it, my wife fell asleep. i enjoyed it.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon May 11, 2009 11:16 am

Why is Wolverine even in the conversation? It blows my mind that such a poorly reviewed film would outperform Star Trek (96% on RT). Further proof that most filmgoers will see any summer tentpole the studios throw at them.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Mon May 11, 2009 12:52 pm

depinmad wrote:my kids hated it, my wife fell asleep. i enjoyed it.

So there was at least one female in the audience. :shock:
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon May 11, 2009 2:31 pm

My fiance went with me both times. It was at her request that we see it again. This notion that women or girls don't like sci fi or the its only fat white guys has really gotta stop. its sexist and its stupid, and perpetuating it is childish.

boston_jeff wrote:Why is Wolverine even in the conversation?

Only because Wolverine failed on every level to build on the rich history of the character its dedicated fan base hated it.
Star Trek threw out everything but the names of the characters and the fans are lapping it up.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Mon May 11, 2009 4:15 pm

Not being a Trek fan I rather enjoyed this film. I thought it was a lotta fun and kept moving till the end. Unfortunately it seemed to throw out everything that happens in Trek previously (TNG, DP9, etc.) and make this an "alternate universe" story. I guess they finally ran out of ideas for the franchise and "I know, let's make a alternate reality, start with Kirk and the crew, and REDO the whole series."
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Mon May 11, 2009 6:23 pm

After Insurrection, the end of Voyager, and then Nemesis, I think the TNG era was out of steam. Starting over with a new crew on a new ship would've been welcome as a series or a movie -- but only to hardcore fans. They needed this reboot to make Star Trek exciting, not just to new fans but to old ones. I HATED Nemesis. HATED Insurrection. The franchise delivered crap for the better part of the last decade, and it needed to die to be reborn.

Batman got a reboot, So does Trek.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Mon May 11, 2009 8:27 pm

Ooh ooh ooh I loved this movie! Saw it on IMAX this weekend, and must see it again, with the kid this time. Best Star Trek movie ever. Enjoyed every minute. (And I'm female, btw.)
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Vinnie P » Tue May 12, 2009 4:03 am

Everything that came after the original series and the movies based on it was crap. TNG, Voyager, et al, may have had some moments, but ultimately, it was crap.

I haven't seen Wolverine so I can't comment on it.

Comparing this so-called reboot to the so-called Batman reboot is bullshit, because the so-called Batman reboot actually brought things back in line with the original character depiction after decades of screwing with it (Die Adam West Die!). JJ Abrahms took Star Trek and essentially crapped all over it.

What's more, the whole imaginary story/alternate universe thing is just lazy writing. When I was at Berklee, the proffessor teaching my film scoring class recomended taking his screenwriting class as well. I did. If I would have turned in a script like that I would have failed the class.

I can see why some people might like it, and I'm sure it will make a lot of money, but Michael Bolton sold millions of records and I still say he sucks.
Vinnie P
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Tue May 12, 2009 9:23 am

I think calling TNG crap just disqualified a lot of your commentary in my mind. Love to take your criticism more seriously since you're the only one willing to debate the movie's merits, but I don't know if I can get passed that...

Anyway, I do compare this to the Batman reboot because Nemesis, Enterprise and other bad Trek were just as damaging as Batman & Robin. Yeah, the did go back and shit all over the old Trek, but I'm going to go out on a limb and says its for the better. They left that time travel/alt reality device in there SPECIFICALLY so that old fans would know their favorites episodes still happened, just in a different world. Thats not lazy writing, thats actually pretty thoughtful on the part of the screenwriters and the studio who owed nothing to fans on a franchise that was as of 2 years ago DEAD IN THE WATER.

I can't make you like the movie, Vinnie P, I just disagree with your reasons.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Vinnie P » Tue May 12, 2009 4:44 pm

Shipley wrote:I think calling TNG crap just disqualified a lot of your commentary in my mind. Love to take your criticism more seriously since you're the only one willing to debate the movie's merits, but I don't know if I can get passed that...

Now there's an illogical over reaction far ya! The crappiness of TNG is a whole other debate. I've already conceded that it had it's moments, and you've expressed your disdain for the movies based on it, so it would seem that we aren't all that far away in our respective opinions. Get past it.

Shipley wrote:Anyway, I do compare this to the Batman reboot because Nemesis, Enterprise and other bad Trek were just as damaging as Batman & Robin. Yeah, the did go back and shit all over the old Trek, but I'm going to go out on a limb and says its for the better.

Again, The Batman reboot served to eliminate a ton of crap that the original concept of Batman had been burried under. I had some issues with that script too, but most of those things had to do with the devices they used to contemporize the story and keep it from getting even longer than it was. Overall the good out weighed the bad. With Star Trek, that wasn't the case. Granted, they did eliminate a ton of crap (ie, TNG et al), but they also eliminated all of the basic substance. They kept the names of the characters and the most superficial aspects while jettisoning the rest.

Shipley wrote:They left that time travel/alt reality device in there SPECIFICALLY so that old fans would know their favorites episodes still happened, just in a different world. Thats not lazy writing, thats actually pretty thoughtful on the part of the screenwriters and the studio who owed nothing to fans on a franchise that was as of 2 years ago DEAD IN THE WATER.

I can't make you like the movie, Vinnie P, I just disagree with your reasons.

It is lazy writing. Telling a prequel type story while maintaining the substance of the original story would have been more challenging and would ultimately resulted in a more interesting and compelling story. The only saving grace to the cheap gimmik they went with is that whenever somone who actually cares about the subject gets the chance to make a Star Trek movie, this movie and whatever offspring it yields cann be written off as imaginary story/fan fiction that never happened.

I don't see anything thoughtful about what was done here. Abrahms is on record as saying that he never liked Star Trek, and I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that his crapping all over it may have been done maliciously.

I never said that the fans were owed anything. I also don't think this movie was made for the fans. If the franchise was truly dead in the water, I would have to say it was because they killed it with all the crap they burried it under.
Vinnie P
Forum Addict

Postby swiss missile » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:31 pm

I thought this was overall a good movie, except for the Romulans, who just looked like humans with tattoos on their faces. Also, while I "got" that all the time traveling was having an effect on the past, present, and future, I really couldn't follow what was happening when and would not be able to correctly order the events of the movie linearly. Not that it probably matters. And what was with Winona Ryder as the MOTHER of a man in his early to mid-twenties?
swiss missile

Return to Movies