MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

The Hangover

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

The Hangover

Postby Bigredhunk » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:38 am

Saw it. Liked it. Laughed. Thought it was a bit overrated.
Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Re: The Hangover

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:58 am

Overrated according to who? I just hate that term. What was the rating where did it come from? You liked it, you laughed what more do you want? I saw it last night as well. Fucking hilarious I thought. Mostly due to Mr. Galifinakas. I've never seen him get so much screen time. Hopefully he gets more although there's not a whole lot of range there in his schtick I could go for some more of it.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:11 am

Want to see it, every critic I trust gave it 3-3.5 stars, so I doubt I will consider it overrated unless I dislike it...
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bigredhunk » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:46 pm

Overrated = I don't understand all the hype/praise/box office success. It's made over $150 million in just over a couple weeks. It's currently 130th highest-rated movie of all-time on IMDB's top-250. You've never seen a movie that made lots of $$ or that others were raving about and walked out thinking, "I liked it, but...."?? As a frame of reference, I generally feel this way about the Apatow movies (I liked this and "Old School" better than those).

I liked the movie. I'm glad I saw it. It was funny. There weren't any "I almost pissed myself"-moments in it though.

ZG was funny. I thought Bradley Cooper was the funniest of the trio. Some of the ZG stuff would've appealed to me more 10 years ago. Wearing a jock to his tux fitting...it's just not hilarious to me at this point in my life.
Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:54 am

First of all a movie doesn't have to be good to be a box office success. I guess I missed all the review that said this was the greatest thing ever. I don't put any stock into any of those ratings making it impossible to be overrated. Some people will like it a lot some people won't. Saying it's overrated is saying I know better than those people who liked it a lot. And as this is a matter of pure opinion I don't think you can make that claim. Just bothers me. Anyways....

I really only thought Cooper had a few good lines and was otherwise the weakest part of the duo. There was one line when they wake up in the hotel room and ZG is pantsless that he says something like "please put some pants on and its disturbing that I've had to ask you twice" But really isn't it still ZG creating that laugh? I dunno. Different strokes.

The other thing is what are your options when it comes to big screen comedy? I for like the Apatow movies for the most part at least for the first couple of viewings. They don't hold up well for me after that. What else is there? Crappy romantic comedies with Katherine Heigl or Kate Hudson? Jim Carrey Movies? Sandler/Fat Mall cop guy productions? I'll take Apatow any day over that tripe.
Can't think of a comedy that was any better this year than The Hangover. Can you?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:18 am

Bruno could be...
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:20 am

I certainly have high hopes for Bruno. He's not my favorite Cohen character but I think Borat still tops the list for most I've laughed in a theater. I bawled my eyes out throughout.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charlesmanu » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:26 pm

I don't think Bruno was overrated, for me it is better than Borat.
The Hangover is 'okay' imo.

wartrol
charlesmanu

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:50 pm

wartrol
The SPAM gets more and more creative and lifelike every day.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies