MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 43.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Tyson

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Tyson

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:25 am

This is a pretty decent look at the guy with a large part of the film being Tyson talking directly to the camera. The guy can say really good things and the guy can say really really bad things. It seems to have been that way his whole career. Being a fan and occasional participant in the sport in the 80's and 90's I was definitely a follower of Tyson. I was a follower and a fan up to the point when it was just too hard to be either. The film at least gives him a chance to give his side of some of the infamous moments, and if you let it, gives you a rough idea of why he is the person he is. Tyson is not a dumb man, he's just a man who has made some stupid decisions, and had a lot of stupid decisions made for him. The guy has probably spent more time studying and practicing his chosen profession than most people out there. I would take great comfort in knowing that my doctor was as dedicated to his job as Tyson once was.

As expected. there was some great old footage, including a young Tyson in the gym showing his freaky quickness and handspeed. There's some interesting stuff about the Trevor Berbick fight, and of course a slow motion replay of the KO by Douglas which was one of the most picture perfect combination KOs ever caught on tape.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Tyson

Postby O.J. » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:42 am

I definitely want to see this; I was never a huge boxing fan, but his fights were must-see. He never should have gotten rid of Kevin Rooney, although that was probably Robbing Givens' call.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:03 am

I think it ended tuesday at sundance but maybe it's still somewhere else .
Ditto on the Kevin Rooney thing. Teddy Atlas was also a very effective trainer/guardian. But in the post Cus D'Amato world who knows who was making those decisions. Like Ali, Tyson had a whole community of hangers-on around him after awhile, sucking him dry.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bigredhunk » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:21 am

This didn't run long at Sundance, unfortunately. They have to make room for "Transformers" and the like I suppose. Now they've got "Enlighten Up" for a week. Will have to catch that.

I really want to see "Tyson." It's on DVD August 18th, so it won't be a long wait.
Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Return to Movies