MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 55.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Postby pjbogart » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:05 am

Ok, so I see none of you nerds are willing to pony up with a Harry Potter thread so I'll have to do it myself. Critics seem to like it a lot, fans are mixed. If you're into the books, you were probably disappointed.

I'd give it a B-. Significant changes were made to the plot line and it seemed like they were usually for the worse. It's hard to complain too much about omissions when the movie clocked in at 150 minutes, but it seems like a lot of the time was used unwisely.

If you ignore the book and just take the movie for what it is, I think it's probably pretty good. A man and his tween daughter were sitting behind us and they seemed to genuinely enjoy it, though it was clear they hadn't read the book. They laughed, they jumped, they closed with periodic whispers of "he can't be dead.. he's not dead."

Definitely the funniest of the movies so far. Rupert Grint may have a comedy career ahead of him.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Postby Violet_Skye » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:21 pm

My son (age 18) thought it pretty much sucked, and he is a huge fan. He has read and owns all the books, both American and British versions. He and his friends dress up and go six hours early to get a good seat at the midnight showing on opening night. He knows the stories backwards and forwards. He felt that they "Twilighted it up" so to speak, appealing to that crowd. They turned it into mainly a sappy melodramatic teen romance, and left out major story elements including the climactic battle scene. Big disappointment for him.

I've tried to read the books several times, but they just don't grab my attention. I've seen all the movies and liked them a lot, but not this one yet. I will probably like this one too when I see it, but mainly because I won't know how it was 'supposed' to be done.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:32 am

They ignored the whole damn Half-Blood Prince subplot, except for Snape identifying himself. It's the title of the movie! I thought that was one of the best parts of the whole book, particularly since they had to explain that the "Prince" wasn't in reference to nobility but to a family name. Snape had nothing to do in this movie. Uggggggggggh.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:44 pm

I think the second insult to Snape was that the movie ended with him seeming hesitant and not thoroughly evil enough, almost serving as a spoiler for the final movie(s). When you finish the book "The Half-Blood Prince" there's no question that Snape has been acting as a double agent throughout the series. He's a Deatheater through and through. I didn't quite get that from the movie, which I think is a shame.

And what about the backfill on Voldemort's life? Where were his parents? You're trying to create a villain and you accidently fail to mention that he killed his own father? I mean, seriously, how could you leave that out of the movie?

And what's with Hermione breaking down into a gushing crying fit over Ron's new girlfriend? She's supposed to be strong-willed, intelligent and independant. The wonderful thing about book-Hermione is that she's not beautiful and doesn't particularly care that she's not beautiful. She's the smartest kid in school. She thinks her way out of problems. She wants Ron, but she doesn't need him.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:45 am

All of your arguments are terribly cliche. Any time a book becomes a movie, the snobs bitch and moan about what was omitted and ignored.
No matter how long a film is, it cannot convey even half the content of a typical length book. Get over it, and you might just enjoy yourself for once.
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Postby LLUrbanUnderachiever » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:27 pm

Haven't read the books, have always found the movies pretty entertaining. This movie was pretty obnoxious and I have to agree with the "Twilight-ed up" sentiment. This resembled more of a WB tween rom-com than anything else. And having not read the books I was still confounded at the lack of ANY background on Snape and the Half-Blood Prince in a movie called The Half-Blood Prince. Just a far-too-abrupt cliffhangeresque ending.

Oh, and the half and hour or so of commercials and previews brought me to the edge of either an overstimulation seizure or ice-picking myself in the ear. They showed that "Smalls" preview 3-effing-times. I fear for our children. And I'm 25. That is depressing.
LLUrbanUnderachiever
Forum Addict

Return to Movies