MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 15.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Re: Avatar preview screening?

Postby jommarjohn » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:54 am

Im starting to get really hyped for this film. I cant wait to see it. Ill try and see it on the day it comes out. Ill even pre-order the tickets if I have to. I love also the 3D film of ICE AGE 3.

Postby freefrog8 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:59 am

Well, after several of my friends raved about Avatar’s spiritual and shamanic message, I decided to go see it. Unfortunately, I found Avatar to be more racist than I imagined and just another missed opportunity to spread the message of a new Dream.

SPOILERS...Avatar is the white culture's racial fantasy - let me lie to you, steal from you, mislead you, aid in the annihilation of your people/land/culture...and then, suddenly I'll have a heart, magically become one of you, be your hero and save you. Ugh! And, there's going to be lots of killing and war in the process. As a white person, the ignorance and then arrogance of Jake's character was difficult to witness for 3 hrs. And the scientist, Grace, was oblivious as to how she was causing just as much harm as the military. Once the military's destruction began the Na'vi were portrayed as helpless and wisdomless requiring the saving of Jake...Cameron seems to forget that it was the Na'vi who taught Jake the ways of their forest...I seriously doubt that they needed him to talk to their tree.

This movie is another example of the spiritual bypassing so common in our culture. Rather than face himself as the liar, the manipulator, the murderer...and THEN discover his true awakening and transformation. Jake rejects that part of himself and escapes his spiritual work by becoming one of the Na'vi. Jake did not have the ego strength (nor the awareness) to stand up to the military in the first place, nor to face himself for what he had done, so he chose the easy route...escapism! This is an unfortunate message to reinforce. Jake could have been a warrior, if he had come out of fantasy land to SEE himself! I thought it ironic that "I see you" was a common greeting amongst the Na'vi, yet Jake couldn't look in his own mirror.

I know many viewers believed that Jake had awakened in the film. I agree that he had a mini-awakening (realizing that he no longer wanted to follow his military ways), but the he got sucked right back into his ego believing that now he must save the Na’vi without shifting throughout the rest of the movie. Cameron had a wonderful opportunity to show the power of the Na'vi people and the true power/magic of shamanism/spirituality, but the moment the destruction began Cameron portrayed the Na'vi people as disempowered...almost having amnesia, unable to remember their ways. Certainly, experiencing a shock trauma, like they did, can cause amnesiatic states. But, the Na'vi elders would have surely guided them if Jake hadn't decided he needed to save the day. Being initiated onto a shamanic path, as the Na'vi were, is a difficult or uncomfortable experience for the same reason that being born is...so that when we are faced with the really difficult stuff we know, in our bones, what to do. Unfortunately, Cameron just returned to the old Dream of Perpetrator/Victim/Hero.

On a more positive note, I find it interesting that this movie is so popular amongst the masses. (Part of it is that this movie is designed to make the dominant culture feel good.) But, part of its success is that I think the masses are truly ready for a new Dream. While this movie has many problems, it does remind people that there is another, more beautiful Dream that we have access to. If only James Cameron was a better Dreamer...because the Dream that he sold still looked a lot like Hell to me.

Finally, I have several friends who saw Avatar and connected with the film's magical aspects. I am not judging anyone who was amazed by this film, but rather just sharing my experience. Peace!
freefrog8

Postby MadMind75 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:05 pm

Is this movie about a wizard who warns against the evils of science and technology, then, instead of using magic (being a wizard and all), kills his evil hitler-inspired brother with a gun?
And then runs off with a girl more than half his age?
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:51 pm

Just as a reminder, this will be the last week to see Avatar in 3D, be it digital 3D or IMAX 3D, as Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland (in 3D) starts Friday March 5th.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:48 pm

What does this photo remind you of (fennel, sorry for the poor grammar)?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:54 pm

Holy crap. The Chinese rebuilt their landscape to look like Avatar.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:34 pm

I went to the last showing of Avatar in IMAX 3D. Still a good size crowd even at the last showing. As for the movie... eh. I thought Beowulf was a better 3D movie, and in the pantheon of James Cameron movies it didn't measure up to the likes of T1/T2, Aliens, or The Abyss.
A story that's been told many times before. Ultimately forgettable.
The only performance that really stood out for me was by Zoe Saldana.
Pandora and all it's inhabitants were all too derivative of their earthly counterparts, thus making Pandora seem less alien and more earthly. Which in turn made it impossible to swallow that the heads and the military would go completely aggro without considering the Na'vi's well being or even treat them as intelligent beings. I was surprised at violent and mindless Avatar became. Waging war against the Na'vi was so unjustified infact, that it was blatantly obvious that it was used to stage action scenes.

One part of the plot seemed a bit nonsensical to me, which was [Spoiler]the fact that during the whole movie the humans are working solely towards gaining control of the Hometree to mine the unobtanium below it, yet once they finally gain control of Hometree, they abandon it to chase after the Na'vi. There was really no tactical advantage to chasing after the Na'vi and attacking the Tree Of Souls.[/Spoiler]

Avatar may be coming to DVD and Blu-Ray April 11, 2010, but only in bare bones presentation. While 3D HDTV and Blu-Ray are now a reality, the 3D Avatar Blu-Ray won't be coming until 2011.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Movies