MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 16.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Rifftrax Live?

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Rifftrax Live?

Postby xolotl » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:55 pm

So, who made it into the Plan 9 From Outer Space Rifftrax Live thing tonight? I foolishly thought that I'd be able to just get tickets there, but I didn't get there early enough, so had to miss out. I'm comforted slightly by the knowledge that if it went over this well in other cities, it's highly likely that they'll do more of these in the future, but alas!

Anyway, hope it was a great time for those who did make it in.
xolotl

Re: Rifftrax Live?

Postby Athena » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:43 am

I missed it too. Who ever thought it would sell out? I was betting on almost no one being there and was obviously wrong. Hopefully this means they'll do more of these now though. And next time I'll buy tickets in advance.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby wallrock » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:30 am

I didn't know about this up until yesterday afternoon, and I decided at the last minute to get tickets online. Glad I did.

I loved it, through and through. There were a few minor glitches with the satellite feed in the beginning, mainly during the Flying Stewardess short and the musical interlude, but those were clear throughout Plan 9. And wow, that is really the Citizen Kane of terrible movies alright.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kittenwithawhip » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:07 pm

It was a certain sellout in Madison, not only that but they had to open second venues in many major markets due to huge early ticket sales. For those who missed it there will be a DVD out around Xmas and there are already talks in progress for another show within a year. You can get more info at the Rifftrax site as details become available!

All in all, even with the technical glitches it was a great, fun show. We were lucky here in Madison, there were a couple of markets that never did get the satellite feed running and they had to refund everyone's ticket price.
Next time the promotors will have a better idea of how many venues to open, hopefully there will be 2 theatres in Madison showing it!
kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Postby kittenwithawhip » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:37 am

To those who missed the original screening! Rifftrax Live will be re-broadcast in theatres on a soon to be announced date in October so get you tickets early this time. The admission price will also be lower and the technical glitches hopefully ironed out. I don't have a list of theatres yet but I imagine Point will once again be hosting this. This is a hilarious show so don't miss it! I mean, the fully colorized version of Plan 9 from outer space featuring Vampira, Zombies AND Tor Johnson? How could you lose?
Plus the short "Flying Stewardesses" and songs by Jonathan Coulton.
Almost no one else has this info yet, so impress your MST-y pals!

http://blog.rifftrax.com/2009/08/27/prediction/
kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Postby kittenwithawhip » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:21 pm

After some consideration, the guys at Rifftrax decided NOT to rebroadcast the "Plan 9" live show, instead they are putting on a brand new Christmas Shorts-Stravaganza show on Dec 16, encore showing Dec 17. If what I have heard is any indication, this will sell out fast! Tickets go on sale today,
I have mine, go get yours!
http://blog.rifftrax.com/2009/11/06/rif ... -weird-al/
It's at Point again here in Madison, along with many other cities across the USA. I will bring the rum balls.
kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Postby Athena » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:15 pm

Thanks for letting us know about the new one. I just bought my tickets so I'll be able to go this time :D
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby kittenwithawhip » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:49 pm

Just a reminder. Rifftrax Live Is coming to Point Cinema tomorrow!

Lifted from the press release:
The exclusive, in-theater event will be broadcast LIVE on Wednesday, Dec. 16th with a pre-recorded encore on Thursday, Dec. 17th 7:00 p.m. Central Michael J. Nelson, Kevin Murphy (MST3K’s Tom Servo) and Bill Corbett (MST3K’s Crow T. Robot) will zing their wisecracking comedy commentary LIVE from the California Center for the Arts, Escondido at a wonderfully warped collection of holiday shorts including a hilarious musical short extolling the virtues of pork.

http://www.ncm.com/Fathom/Comedy/RiffTrax_Xmas.aspx

Some more highlights:
Presented by NCM Fathom and The Onion, RiffTrax LIVE: Christmas Shorts-Stravaganza! will include a special guest appearance by “Weird Al” Yankovic joining the holiday riffing festivities. Yankovic has sold more than 12 million albums – more than any other comedy act in history – and recorded more than 150 parody and original songs, including “Eat It,” “Smells Like Nirvana,” “Amish Paradise” and the viral video phenomenon “White & Nerdy” from his most recently released album, “Straight Outta Lynwood.”

"I can't think of a better way to honor the true meaning of Christmas than by making stupid jokes over ridiculous film shorts," said Yankovic.

RiffTrax LIVE: Christmas Shorts-Stravaganza! attendees will receive an early holiday present from the RiffTrax team – a URL and code will be revealed at the end of the event for five free digital goodies: a RiffTones holiday song, two downloadable shorts, an autographed digital photo of Mike, Kevin and Bill and a Christmas desktop wallpaper.

"Sometimes good things come in small packages - these shorts are amazing and hilarious - not to mention festive,” said Michael J. Nelson, RiffTrax creator and former host and writer of the Emmy-nominated, Peabody Award-winning MST3K.

So go support some local guys made good and get in the spirit of Xmas Pork!
kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Return to Movies