MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 27.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Precious

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Precious

Postby AaronTheSnob » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:36 pm

Wow.
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Precious

Postby Violet_Skye » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:44 pm

I just saw it yesterday. Powerful performance by the woman who played the mother, I thought...pretty horrific. Mariah Carey was also excellent. I was surprised by the humor elements in such a dark story...but it was well done.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:49 pm

I haven't seen it, but I'm unlikely to after reading Courtland Milloy's response in the Washington Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 03465.html

The New York Times Magazine featured the movie as a cover story last month and declared: "Precious is a stand-in for anyone -- black, white, male, female -- who has ever been devalued or underestimated."

Let's see: I lose my job, so I take in a movie about a serially abused black girl and I go, "Oh, swell, she's standing in for me."

Asked by Entertainment Weekly magazine why she got involved with the project, Oprah said: "I realized that, Jesus, I have seen that girl a million times. I see that girl every morning on the way to work, I see her standing on the corner, I see her waiting for the bus as I'm passing in my limo, I see her coming out of the drugstore, and she's been invisible to me."

Instead of making a movie about how she beat the odds, Oprah has taken to divining ugly life stories from black girls she passes in her limo. Maybe the Obama girls should stay off the sidewalk for a while.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:55 pm

I don't know...to me, it was a film about severe mental illness, and the way society looks the other way time and time again, even when children are being abused. It portrayed systemic dysfunction, from the ineffectual social worker's visit, to the grandparent/enabler, to the deranged mother, obviously to the abusive father, down to Precious' own violence against another child. It's a movie that confronts and forces us to see things we'd rather not. It did end on a hopeful note.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:07 am

Mo'Nique was excellent and a strong Oscar contender as well as Gabby. Their final scene in the welfare office is brilliant but disturbing. A subject that is too painful for people to discuss but works brilliantly through her performance. I wish there would have been a epilogue with what happens to them.

BTW a small first acting role for Lenny Kravitz as well. Such a hottie.
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:24 pm

Courtland Milloy is a DC metro columnist that focuses on "issues that affect the lives of African Americans", not a film reviewer. He makes some good points about the complex issue of white America's guilt complex. He also calls out Oprah and Tyler Perry, the film's producers for not telling us their "positive" stories instead of this one. But he has little to say about the performances in the film, the reason most will seek out Precious. So yeah, the film is depressing, no shit Sherlock, I would never have guessed. Milloy's only real point is that this is an ugly story, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be told, or that it isn't a compelling film.

I haven't seen it yet, but I think I will prefer it to "positive" films about suburban Republican soccer moms who turn illiterate overweight oafs into NFL players.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LLUrbanUnderachiever » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:59 pm

boston_jeff wrote:I haven't seen it yet, but I think I will prefer it to "positive" films about suburban Republican soccer moms who turn illiterate overweight oafs into NFL players.

So THAT's what Avatar is all about. I could never get a good read from the previews.
LLUrbanUnderachiever
Forum Addict

Postby HOMOsapien » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:21 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Courtland Milloy... makes some good points about white liberal America's guilt complex.

Fixed.
HOMOsapien

Postby rabble » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:35 pm

HOMOsapien wrote:
boston_jeff wrote:Courtland Milloy... makes some good points about white liberal America's guilt complex.

Fixed.

I suppose you're right. If the word "conservative" was in there, we'd have to change "guilt" to "baboon-like mob mentality of fear, panic, and hatred."
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:46 pm

I haven't seen the movie, and I'm not sure if I will, but I really hope that Gabby Sidibe doesn't get pigeonholed. From all of the photos and stories I've seen, she's just effervescent and bright and enthusiastic about all sorts of stuff, and yet the first thing I've seen is that she's slated to do "The C Word" on Showtime "as a teen whom [Laura] Linney's character tries to help lose both weight and the bad attitude."

I hope her agent is as good as her stylist. She's different, but she seems awesome.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:01 pm

She was great on Conan, one more reason I want to see this.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:50 pm

bassbari wrote:I wish there would have been a epilogue with what happens to them.

It drives my wife nuts when movies don't have conclusive endings where everything gets resolved and explained.
"So what happens then?"
We can't watch Coen brothers movies together.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:50 am

HOMOsapien wrote:

Fixed.

Not me, baby - I'm too precious.

Fuck off.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies