MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Why doesn't Netflix carry these movies?

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Why doesn't Netflix carry these movies?

Postby crevice beatle » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:52 pm

1) Shallow Grave
2) Bronson
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Re: Why doesn't Netflix carry these movies?

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:58 pm

They don't appear to have been released in the US outside of theaters. At least fro what I can tell on IMDB.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:02 pm

i've got shallow grave on dvd, so that's wrong.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:04 pm

This Shallow Grave? Looks like they just don't have it in their inventory yet. The bigger story would be if it wasn't even listed on Netflix.

Bronson? A) Are you serious? B) Didn't the forum spam ruin this film for you? C) It's too new; DVD doesn't exist for this film yet.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:27 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:This Shallow Grave? Looks like they just don't have it in their inventory yet. The bigger story would be if it wasn't even listed on Netflix.

Bronson? A) Are you serious? B) Didn't the forum spam ruin this film for you? C) It's too new; DVD doesn't exist for this film yet.

Shallow Grave is a Danny Boyle film (of Slumdog fame) and is quite common in my opinion. It has been on queue for longer than a year now.

I suppose I should've done more research into Bronson. A good friend told me he had watched it on DVD in early fall - perhaps he had a pirated copy... and no, I never saw the spam threads on here pertaining to it.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:36 pm

crevice beatle wrote:Shallow Grave is a Danny Boyle film (of Slumdog fame)

Hey, buddy, I'm no carpooling, View-DVRing, People-subscribing polished rube of a movie viewer. Danny Boyle was, is, and will always be (of Trainspotting fame) no matter how many YouTube "Jai Ho" tributes there are out there.

That said, I've seen Shallow Grave and therefore had no need to keep up with it on Netflix. If it's been "Save" only for over a year, then they must be waiting for enough people to queue it up to trigger the expenditure.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:59 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
crevice beatle wrote:Shallow Grave is a Danny Boyle film (of Slumdog fame)

Hey, buddy, I'm no carpooling, View-DVRing, People-subscribing polished rube of a movie viewer. Danny Boyle was, is, and will always be (of Trainspotting fame) no matter how many YouTube "Jai Ho" tributes there are out there.

That said, I've seen Shallow Grave and therefore had no need to keep up with it on Netflix. If it's been "Save" only for over a year, then they must be waiting for enough people to queue it up to trigger the expenditure.

Fair enough on the "Trainspotting" reference --- I knew weighing out whether to refer to the "hip" film vs. the one that won best picture at the Globes and Oscars... so I wasn't the least surprised to be called out on it.

Do you think more people have Shallow Grave on their list than say "Cork n' Bottle String Band, a Ken's Bar Story"? Or how about Black Samurai? Or how about any other random film you possibly have never heard of? The explanation of too low a demand just doesn't cut it when you consider what else Netflix does have - be it independant or major release.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby bluethedog » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:05 pm

Looking for Mr. Goodbar Drama Unknown
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:02 pm

You're right, that doesn't make sense.

This, however, does:

Wikipedia wrote:In Fall 2006, Blockbuster signed a deal with The Weinstein Company, that gave it the exclusive rental rights to the studio's films beginning January 1, 2007.[55] This agreement forced Netflix to obtain copies from mass merchants or retailers, instead of directly from the studio.[56] Netflix has speculated that the effect of the Blockbuster-Weinstein agreement could result in higher rental costs and/or fewer copies of the studio's movies, which would limit the number of each movie's DVDs that would be available to subscribers at any one time.[57] As of June 2007, Netflix continues to make available Weinstein movies, including Unknown, School For Scoundrels and Harsh Times, among others. The first-sale doctrine allows Netflix and other video rental businesses to offer movies released by the Weinstein Company, but the long-term effects of the Blockbuster-Weinstein deal remain uncertain.

Wanna guess who bought the distribution rights for Shallow Grave on DVD? Starts with an 'M' and ends with 'IRAMAX.'
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:04 pm

I'm glad to say they finally have The Happiness of the Katakuris.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies