MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

The Kids Are All Right

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

The Kids Are All Right

Postby AaronTheSnob » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:36 am

This has been getting the best reviews of any movie released so far this year. Starring Annette Benning, Julianne Moore and Mark Ruffalo. Opening July 23 at Sundance.

Trailer below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdDSqgZ87fM
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Kids Are All Right

Postby Crockett » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:02 am

I'll go when Julianne Moore puts a nose back on her face. Weird.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Son of Madi » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:41 pm

I am still wondering what that poor guy Paul did wrong to take all the beating in the end. He did not search and contact his biological children, they contacted him. He did not start the affair with Jules. She started it. After she had started it, he immediately dumped his lover for the biological mother of his son, which I considered a remarkably virtuous decision. He drove his adult daughter home to her two moms and got another beating. If he had slapped that hateful bitch in her face, he would have committed a criminal act, but at least she would have gotten what she deserved.

A comedy is a movie that makes me laugh. Two examples from the last years: "Thank You for Smoking" and "The Royal Tenenbaums." This one did not make me laugh.
Son of Madi

Postby Bland » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:54 pm

Crockett wrote:I'll go when Julianne Moore puts a nose back on her face. Weird.
Huh?
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:37 pm

Son of Madi wrote:I am still wondering what that poor guy Paul did wrong to take all the beating in the end. He did not search and contact his biological children, they contacted him. He did not start the affair with Jules. She started it. After she had started it, he immediately dumped his lover for the biological mother of his son, which I considered a remarkably virtuous decision. He drove his adult daughter home to her two moms and got another beating. If he had slapped that hateful bitch in her face, he would have committed a criminal act, but at least she would have gotten what she deserved.

A comedy is a movie that makes me laugh. Two examples from the last years: "Thank You for Smoking" and "The Royal Tenenbaums." This one did not make me laugh.

i agree with you about the treatment of paul at the end, however in royal tennenbaums they kill the fucking dog at the end, so... not sure why you label one a comedy and one not.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AaronTheSnob » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:33 am

It WASN'T a comedy. Parts were humorous, but for the most part, it was far from funny. I agree with other posters about the shitty treatment of Paul; he was no more to blame for the affair with Jules than she was, possibly less so.

However, I still greatly enjoyed the film. I thought Annette Bening did a fantastic job...every time she was on screen I couldn't take my eyes off her...every facial expression, every movement, every word was spot on. And she did it with a total absence of vanity, which made it even more remarkable.
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:22 am

Spoiler warning, please!
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrb2563 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:26 pm

If you are lesbian or gay, this movie will make you wish you hadn't wasted your money. It starts with a really dull script and goes downhill from there. I agree, it seems like the kids are an afterthought.
It's about an unsettled relationship in which one of the characters doesn't feel appreciated, who decides to solve her insecurities by having sex with a man. :roll: How original! I think it is more about gratuitous sex than anything. Frankly, they could have left it out as it didn't add anything to the story line. There are enough movies like this with the same theme that I do not know why the writer wasted our time. Bore, bore, bore...
mrb2563

Return to Movies