MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, July 11, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Rum Diary Oct 28

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Rum Diary Oct 28

Postby city2countrygal » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:10 pm

I'm excited for the release of Rum Diary on Oct 28. Saw a trailer on Comedy Central during Workaholics last week. Anyone else looking forward to it?

Depp is awesome, even though his comments in Vanity Fair http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2011/10/johnny-depp-scientology-highest-paid-actor about movie promotion being like rape were a bit off base; well, I might consider it more comparable to Heidi Fleiss prostitution...

I loved Fear and Loathing, but then again I was at that age where psychadelics were "on my radar." :wink: I've been intrigued by Puerto Rico but have never been there, so I'll be noticing the setting, and the cars (see the movie preview: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0376136/videogallery). I'm not familiar with the director, Bruce Robinson. Anyone a fan of his other fims?
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Rum Diary Oct 28

Postby narcoleptish » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:44 pm

Okay, I may have been expecting "Fear and Loathing in Puerto Rico" just a little bit, but an hour into this movie I would have been excited just to see someone catch a coffee buzz. Nothing really happens here. Kemp (Depp) wanders around San Juan drinking regularly, lusting after someone's girlfriend, clicking pictures of poor native kids, drinking a little more.. The publicized scene of him on his co-workers lap in a tiny car is the funniest scene by far.

Good performances by the cast but it's just a boring movie. They did do a nice job of portraying early 60's Puerto Rico, but if you're going to taunt me with how laid-back and fun the world used to be, at least do it around a good story.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:16 am

Thanks for your review narcoleptish! I tried to see the movie this weekend at Marcus Point, and their server was down and they could not play it. I was truly disappointed, esp. after driving in from Stoughton. This was one I wanted to see in the theater, but now I might just wait for the DVD release.
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby RunNJump » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:00 pm

city2countrygal wrote:I'm excited for the release of Rum Diary on Oct 28. Saw a trailer on Comedy Central during Workaholics last week. Anyone else looking forward to it?

Depp is awesome, even though his comments in Vanity Fair http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2011/10/johnny-depp-scientology-highest-paid-actor about movie promotion being like rape were a bit off base; well, I might consider it more comparable to Heidi Fleiss prostitution...

I loved Fear and Loathing, but then again I was at that age where psychadelics were "on my radar." :wink: I've been intrigued by Puerto Rico but have never been there, so I'll be noticing the setting, and the cars (see the movie preview: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0376136/videogallery). I'm not familiar with the director, Bruce Robinson. Anyone a fan of his other fims?

I think watching a trailer for the "Rum Diary" ruined a perfectly good show. LOL. I kid. It looks o.k., but Johnny Depp always plays the same gosh darn character.

On an unrelated note....Workaholics rocks! :)
RunNJump

Postby city2countrygal » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:58 pm

RunNJump wrote:I think watching a trailer for the "Rum Diary" ruined a perfectly good show.

Yeah, from narcoleptish's review, it sounds like they put all the good stuff in the trailers. I also read they had to wait to release RD until after Depp was done with his Pirates obligations. It might have released better in late winter or early spring, giving people a spring break itch. I might still see it this coming weekend yet. I'm kinda pissed at Marcus right now though.

RunNJump wrote:On an unrelated note....Workaholics rocks! :)

This second season is better than the first! Those guys write it all themselves. They are so funny! Workaholics and Louie are my two fav comedies for the last year or two.
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:37 pm

Or fall, depending on your latitude and attitude, dude. And dude as in duuuude, not dude as in dood. Kinda like Kanye: “bad is in bad, not bad as in good.” Right?

One time I tried to write about how I felt about my dad’s drinking. He was upset and embarrassed. I felt really bad about it. I never wanted to hurt my daddy. I love him so much. He had the most beautiful name, Marek. I have the most plain-Jane name in the word: Amy. Just three letters, so it would be easy to spell, I was told. I tried to fancy it up by adding a few more vowels: Aimée. But like in the Wheel of Fortune, you have to buy vowels, so instead, because I’m frugal, I’ll try to make Amy into a pretty name. I already know a few Amys that can help me with that.

I’m disappointed in myself for taking things for granted and passing judgment on others. But I’m learning; and so I just want to say “thank you” to all the people I forgot to say it to, sometimes twice. I’m also sorry if I put my foot in my mouth. Most often I’m hiding my own insecurities, such as wanting to go to a fancy college, or get another degree. Most often I’m like you and can’t see the object right in front of my own face, even if it is closer than it may appear.

I’m sorry I didn’t remember your name or recognize you. You must think I’m really dumb. Maybe I am dyslexic or differently abled. I hope I have been a good friend, daughter, sister, and wife when it really mattered. If not, I promise you, if you will help me, I’ll learn. I do have a big head with a lot of hot air in there, but then again I always liked hot air balloons, just like my daddy. I used to like to ride the rollercoasters with him. Maybe we can ride the Demon together in heaven?

I still have questions though. If I ask politely, will someone please show me the way home? I really want to get home and be a “happy family” again. And I want to say I love you, Nannan. I wish I could have been there for you, but I was too scared to see you go. And Shirley too, I love you (and I was looking at her sign of the cross, not her breasts). Not that it’s not OK to be a woman and appreciate another beautiful woman. What I mean is, ladies, appreciate all the other ladies in your life. Love you, Ma!
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies