MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Favorite bad movie?

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Re: Favorite bad movie?

Postby Comrade » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:41 pm

Airplane!....and don't call me Shirley.
Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:30 pm

Airplane? C'mon! No WAY that's a bad movie. Now if you would've said Zero Hour, or any of the Airport movies ...
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:38 am

Smokey and the Bandit. Only because it contains of one of my favorite movie lines. The sheriff(Jackie Gleason) to his bumbling, worthless deputy/son "Boy, I cannot believe you sprang from my loins. I oughta go home and punch your mother right in the face."
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:49 am

Close, and about as accurate as I usually remember that quote, even after a zillion fun-filled viewings.

I am Dee B.:
"There's no way, *no* way that you came from *my* loins. Soon as I get home, first thing I'm gonna do is punch yo mamma in da mouth!"
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Comrade » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:36 pm

supaunknown wrote:Airplane? C'mon! No WAY that's a bad movie. Now if you would've said Zero Hour, or any of the Airport movies ...

Dunno, would seem to the the intention of the creators was to make something so bad, that its good. I think they suceeded and this would apply to the category of "favorite bad movie", but whatever.
Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby pjbogart » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:41 pm

No one has mentioned a movie yet that's "so bad it's good." Everything you guys mention is "good enough to overcome its badness." But I got a keeper...

Cool As Ice This movie is so dumb that perhaps the most hilarious part of it is that it ever got made. (Unintentionally) funnier than most of the comedies you'll see at the theater.

Honorable mention:

Invaders From Mars (1986) Yeah, that's Nurse Ratched of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" fame. The acting is wooden, the effects are silly and the end result is pure hilarity. Hard to believe that this is the same director that gave us "Poltergeist."

Leprechaun Somewhere in between roles as Willow and Harry Potter's Professor Flitwick, Hollywood's leading little man busted out a series of seriously cheesy horror flicks.

Red Dawn No doubt that when the Cubans finally invade and take over the US, they'll start by shooting 16-year olds at America's most rural high schools. Oh, and a shout-out to the NRA (and dangerousman), the Cubans will know which Americans to arrest by checking for your gun registration.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:54 pm

pjbogart wrote:Leprechaun Somewhere in between roles as Willow and Harry Potter's Professor Flitwick, Hollywood's leading little man busted out a series of seriously cheesy horror flicks.

Yowsa, I forgot about that one. I don't come across it very often, but I have been sucked in a few times.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:20 am

Showgirls might be just bad, but I enjoy it in small pieces.

Commando: Has everything really, bad one-liners, Dan Hedaya as El Presidente, Arnold making short work of everybody and then has a hard time with Bennett, a noodle-armed pudge in leather pants who makes little squeaky noises when he fights. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo_lCC97QXA

Streets of Fire: Is it bad? I don't know cuz I love it. Raven is probably my favorite Willem Dafoe character (maybe tied with Bobby Peru). Was Lee Ving even acting?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:09 pm

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai in the Eighth Dimension
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:19 pm

Saturn 3. Absolutely cringe-worthy, yet starred Farrah Fawcett.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:26 pm

gargantua wrote:Saturn 3. Absolutely cringe-worthy, yet starred Farrah Fawcett.

I was just thinking about that one yesterday!

There's a whole slew of 'em but I think for me it's Troll. Just the first one. I know it must be bad because everyone tells me how bad it was but Phil Fondacaro was perfect as the human and the troll. And the Lockhart girls. And Sonny Bono. And Gary Sandy.

And JK gets away with stealing the Harry Potter idea from that movie. What's not to love?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:14 am

gargantua wrote:Saturn 3. Absolutely cringe-worthy, yet starred Farrah Fawcett.

For a long time my boyfriend's ringtone was Farrah's immortal line, "You've been listening to our cuckoo."
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chumley » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:21 am

I just found out recently that Martin Amis wrote Saturn 3. For what it's worth.
chumley

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:24 am

Stanley "Singin' in the Rain" Donen directed.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:37 pm

I'm comfortably tipsy and I can't remember what made me think to look on Amazon. It's a guilty pleasure for me: Lost Horizon 1973. I've seen the old version also. Like both. The '73 version has been unavailable for years.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Movies