MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Film Fest: Let's have it

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Re: Film Fest: Let's have it

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:18 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Orpheum was fine for Jiro, but the sound quality is undeniably poor even for a movie utilizing modern filmmaking technology, to say nothing of Betamax.

New York Times film critic Manohla Dargis on the Orpheum's sound: "Something to the effect of 'Horrible. Just awful.'"
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:50 am

Athena wrote:I went to 18 films this year.

Respect.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:06 pm

I saw 16:

Monsieur Lazhar
Made in Wisconsin
How to Start a Revolution
Amateur Night
The Zone
Phil Solomon: Retrospective
Kinyarwanda
An Evening with Don Hertzfeldt
Kill List
Robert on his Lunch Break
Filthy Theater
The Intouchables
Abendland
It Always Rains on Sunday
Labor of Love
So's Your Old Man

The only unexpected stinker was How to Start a Revolution, and even then that was because I expected more information and analysis, less hagiography. If you want to watch an elderly Gene Sharp water his orchids and walk around Cambridge, MA, though, this would be the film for you.

The Zone was about what you would expect so I can't complain. Labor of Love was a far better and more interesting treatment of roughly the same subject.

Best positive surprise was Phil Solomon discussing his shorts, and the shorts themselves, which were actually kind of pleasant. It's always hard to know with experimental films just what kind of experiment the filmmaker will decide to inflict on the audience, and I knew nothing about Phil Solomon going in. I spent the rest of that day and the next kicking myself because I had a ticket for Abendland (about what you would expect -- I think I only fell asleep once) instead of American Falls. Though truthfully, by Saturday night I probably didn't have the energy left to properly appreciate American Falls so Abendland and a few z's was the better choice.

Of a Feather (from the Robert on his Lunch Break program) was a gem and 106 River Road was also eerily effective.

You can put me down as one who liked Kill List, which I added on Friday after reading the Isthmus review. I expected something funnier (but then maybe Jay and Gal were just hilarious under their accents, which were just too thick for me) and was surprised and confused by the ending... until I figured out that it was a slow-building horror film, not a hit-man action comedy that goes weird at the end. Then it all made sense :D

Monsieur Lazhar, Kinyarwanda, and The Intouchables were my big, conventional films of the festival and they all delivered. They were all stand-outs, but The Intouchables is the one that's still going through my head days later. Just incredible, from the first scene to the last.

As a regular Cinematheque goer (though less regular over the last year or so) I have to admit that I had been avoiding the Marquee because of the food policy -- if I'm going to see a movie I want to see a movie, not listen to people eating and drinking. Now that I spent a third of my Festival there, though, I'm finding I've warmed up to it considerably. The new Chazen, on the other hand? After a few Cinematheque films there I thought twice about picking any Festival shows in that theater because I still haven't figured out how to make it feel comfortable. By contrast I found myself semi-targeting the Bartell. And for all my purist views about film-going, a glass of wine helped Abendland go down a little more smoothly...
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby Athena » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:01 am

I hated the ending of Kill List when I saw it. I thought the rest of the film was really good but the ending seemed so out of place. Then my husband explained that I was looking at the film the wrong way around, and that if I looked at it as a horror film it would make sense. Indeed, if I view it as a horror film, and not only a horror film but a very specific genre of horror film, then it all makes sense and there's really no other way the film could have ended. But the feminist in me would have preferred a more non-traditional ending.

If anyone is looking for an actual action/thriller hitman type movie then I recommend Sleepless Night. Lots of fun twists and great fight scenes.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby depinmad » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:09 am

i knew where KILL LIST was headed the whole time. doesn't mean i understood exactly what was happening throughout. in fact i don't really know what was happening. i couldn't say for sure whether it's a cult conspiracy horror thriller or a psychological study with an extremely unreliable narrator.
what i liked/loved about it was the fact that the filmmakers seemed to know what they were doing even if they weren't interested in letting us know. in that sense it reminded me a lot of PRIMER, which i also enjoyed quite a bit.
i also thought the performances were uniformly excellent.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Movies