MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 16.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

What R-rated movies did you sneak into?

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Re: What R-rated movies did you sneak into?

Postby brentron909 » Tue May 22, 2012 5:47 pm

talagaster wrote:Even as an experienced theatre infiltrator and a young Kubrick fan, sneaking into Eyes Wide Shut was outside my grasp. They had ushers outside of the theatre playing the film so a friend and I had to get my mom to accompany us to the theatre so we could finally see the film. That was an awkward experience.

In the summer of '95, a few months shy of my 17th birthday, on a visit to my dad in NYC, he treated me to a screening of the Larry Clark/ Harmony Corine uh, masterpiece, Kids.

Why? I have no idea, since we were both silent on the awkward ride home and haven't talked about it since.

Needless to say, I was more or less scared shitless out of doing drugs or having sex for the duration of my high school years.

Maybe that was the point?
brentron909
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue May 22, 2012 7:02 pm

I watched that with a friend on July 4, 1999. It was an interesting way to observe the holiday.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed May 23, 2012 11:28 pm

I always confuse Larry Clark and Bob Clark. Not sure why.

I've never snuck into a R-rated movie, but my friend Wayne & I accidentally walked into one once. Stripes, in 1981, and I can't remember for sure but I think the movie we were there to see was On The Right Track. I know we sat in the front row, the movie rolls and we soon realize we're in the wrong goshdarn theater - only now we're torn because of course we want to watch the R-rated Stripes but on the other hand we're afraid of getting caught ... And so we slurked out and went into whatever crap movie we'd originally intended to see (I'm positive it wasn't Raiders of the Lost Ark, also 1981), yet by far the biggest thrills were those few minutes we spent in the wrong theater.

I swear I've never walked into the wrong theater since then. Unless you count The Shadow.

My dad took me to my first R-rated movie. It was The Jerk.

This thread is something of an age checker.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Movies