MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, July 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 80.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Favorite movie scenes

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Re: Favorite movie scenes

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:54 pm

The more I think about this topic, the more I just keep going back to Sergio Leone. So many great scenes.

--The opening credits and initial gunfight in Once Upon A Time In The West. The gunmen lazily waiting for the train followed by the slow, tense conversation with Bronson's Man With The Harmonica (culminating with one of the all-time greatest dialogue exchanges: "Looks like we're shy one horse." "You brought two too many.") perfectly offsets the incredible speed and violence of the eventual shootout. The "natural" soundtrack before and after the gunplay is the icing on the cake.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW-jSa9_k3M
--And speaking of great soundtrack usage, one of my favorite moments in Once Upon A Time In America comes when DeNiro's Noodles visits the crypt of his dead friend, accompanied on the soundtrack by the haunting pan flute song his dead friend used to play. The music, it turns out, is not just for the audience's benefit -- it is being piped into the crypt, a fact which only becomes apparent when the door closes, which shuts the music off. Realizing this, Noodles opens the door again and the music returns.
--Of course, no praise of Once Upon A Time In America would be complete without mention of Burt Young's fantastic "cock insurance" scene, a rare example of Leone allowing such a long stretch of dialogue.

Seriously, I could list almost every scene from America and it would qualify: The boy gingerly eating his way through the pastry he was going to use as payment for sex, the penis lineup, the baby switching scene scored to "The Thieving Magpie", Noodles returning from his days-long opium bender to find Max literally sitting on a throne, and on and on and on.

Heck, I could just list scene after scene of rugged, leather-skinned badasses just staring at each other, like this one from For A Few Dollars More.

And I didn't even mention The Good, The Bad and the Ugly...
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:56 pm

I could similarly list Marx Brothers scenes til the cows come home, but here's just one from Horsefeathers, not just my favorite, but the one from which I cribbed my screen name.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:41 pm

The Blues Brothers sewer scene. Elwood's "Take it easy" at the end gets me every time.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Movies